Garmin AOA Installation

Pinto

Checking to see if anyone has installed the Garmin AOA, I received a box of parts and no instructions. There is some info on the web but I can not find anything about location and installing the probe. I am looking for info if you have it

• 11 months later...

I installed the alpha aoa on my c182 and liked it so much I have spent the past month trying to install a Garmin aoa in my Mooney  m20r. One month later it still doesn't work. A couple of difference between brands. The alpha manual is really good. The Garmin manual not so much. Alpha color codes the tubing so you always know which tube is which. Not Garmin. The Garmin bracket is large and so on the m20r wing you can only install it in large access panels whic are at 48% of chord not ideal. Next the Garmin does not have enough adjustment to get the angle correct. The alpha is very adjustable. 

• 3 weeks later...
On September 18, 2016 at 10:31 PM, glenn reynolds said:

I installed the alpha aoa on my c182 and liked it so much I have spent the past month trying to install a Garmin aoa in my Mooney  m20r. One month later it still doesn't work. A couple of difference between brands. The alpha manual is really good. The Garmin manual not so much. Alpha color codes the tubing so you always know which tube is which. Not Garmin. The Garmin bracket is large and so on the m20r wing you can only install it in large access panels whic are at 48% of chord not ideal. Next the Garmin does not have enough adjustment to get the angle correct. The alpha is very adjustable. 

That's good to know....I wondered if new probe would install in place of old pitot tube mount and if you could use existing pitot air tubes..guess not

• 4 weeks later...

You are not allowed to remove your factory pitot to install the AOA.  The new Angle of Attack must be completely independent of all certified equipment.  Otherwise the installation would need to go through extensive flight testing to prove that you still airspeed.