*SOLD* 1993 TLS for $99,000

Piloto

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

I probably own the last M20M in the world (N134JF) that isn't converted to a TIO-540-AF1B (Bravo) engine. (The two other M20M's that I had over the years were already converted to Bravos before I bought them).  I've flown this one about 100 hours in the past two years in between re-doing the interior, the panel, the baffle seals, all LEDs and fixing one tank. I have flown it conservatively since I got it and the temperatures have been good. The oil analyses have been good, but I recently noticed that oil consumption had gone up.

Well . .  it's officially time for the Bravo conversion. I started my annual last week with a compression check and I had a couple low cylinders. I'm going to go ahead and do the top end overhaul and Lycoming Service Instruction 1479a (Bravo "wet-head" conversion). I bought a set of bravo cylinders about a year ago that are at J & J Airparts getting overhauled right now (3-4 weeks til they're done :(). Another Mooney owner sold me the Bravo Parts kit that Lycoming sent him - he decided to swap his -A engine out for a factory new -B engine quite a few years ago and had been hanging on to the kit. I happened to sit next to him at MAPA last fall and we worked out a deal last week on the kit.

IMG_1744.thumb.JPG.bd3993765882485db8032cbbf29e3b44.JPG

IMG_1746.thumb.JPG.bafec356f8ec0c749e510fcc65117277.JPG

IMG_1750.thumb.JPG.f972e20dfe95a193f9af2f16748b636b.JPG

I'll update this thread on the conversion once we get going.

My wallet is hurting just looking at those pictures. Good luck!

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

My wallet is hurting just looking at those pictures. Good luck!

If you paid full retail for brand new Lycoming parts it would be over $6000 just for the 8 pounds worth of parts in the picture, not counting the cylinders. (Back in 1996 Lycoming offered the entire kit, including cylinders for $5500 to TLS owners and allowed 42 hours labor reimbursement. Six brand new cylinders from Lycoming are now $18000)

The airplane still has less than 670 TT on the airframe. You can always zero time an engine, but you can't do that to an airframe, so I figured it's worth putting the money into a low time airframe. Plus now I'll finally be able to call it a Bravo . . lol

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2015 at 7:53 PM, donkaye said:

If you got the Bravo Conversion it probably wouldn't make that much difference, since the whole top including cylinders would be replaced.

Without the Bravo conversion...those cylinders are probably done for anyway coming from a hot climate...I'm thinking it's priced about right....100 k ,70 k for factory reman,waas upgrade for 4 k,adsB 4 k ....10 k for incidentals...190 k for a 93...

• 4 months later...

It's time for some panel upgrades.

IMG_0902.thumb.jpg.39cb5d467e9270222df2cdc9b71f7d86.jpg

IMG_0927.thumb.jpg.7af76b509c9e37612aeab3db844c404c.jpg\

Phase one will take out the King Attitude and HSI and replace with Aspen(s). At some point down the road I'll have a new panel cut and then replace the engine instruments with a JPI 900 or whatever is available at the time.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

Getting rid of the primary and backup vacuum systems, 3 strobe power supplies. the KCS-55A System plus some miscellaneous things, N134JF lost 28 pounds. I am now up to 1012 pounds useful load.

Very nice panel.  The only thing you are going to be very unhappy with is the Placement of the KAS 297 Altitude Preselect.  If possible you should exchange that position with the switches under the Shadin.  Reaching over with your right hand to manage the preselect will get old very quickly.

5 minutes ago, donkaye said:

Very nice panel.  The only thing you are going to be very unhappy with is the Placement of the KAS 297 Altitude Preselect.  If possible you should exchange that position with the switches under the Shadin.  Reaching over with your right hand to manage the preselect will get old very quickly.

Thanks

That's where it's been on this airplane since day one. I agree with you though.

When I do the engine monitor and cut a new panel I have already planned on putting it to the right.

On 8/6/2018 at 3:41 PM, donkaye said:

Yeah,  what he said!!

:)

• 2 years later...

I think Lance takes the lead in installed color screen count this evening!

:)

The sole analog altimeter is looking lonely on the SIC side...

Probably deserves an award for vendor integration too...

• Avidyne
  • Aspen
  • Garmin
  • BK
  • JPI
  • CO/O2 monitor

Awesome pic!

Do you have on of those Height above the ground Lidar sensors?

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

On 8/6/2018 at 2:28 PM, LANCECASPER said:

BEFORE (NOVEMBER 2015)

IMG_0312.thumb.JPG.5bc9cd866d089840e307d0758795cd94.JPG.0be638171a0ec5185d4d8c75cf1628fb.JPG

IMG_0310.thumb.JPG.7424735ce6ebc48b44be4a189e5eff2f.JPG.1c389d69d3194894e4b6e8a0b2d70742.JPG

AFTER (AUGUST 2018)

IMG_0980.thumb.jpg.f2a1b0ea7dd5de71007f8efc1e345e64.jpg

IMG_1038.thumb.jpg.0ecc823f49d971b28d5aa13c3a72d86c.jpg

"Getting rid of the...3 strobe power supplies..."

Curious about this.  My tail strobe stopped working and I'm told it needs a new power supply...was quoted about $1000 for that alone.  What is the conversion to remove those power supplies?  

24 minutes ago, apenney said:

Curious about this.  My tail strobe stopped working and I'm told it needs a new power supply...was quoted about $1000 for that alone.  What is the conversion to remove those power supplies?  

Convert to LED. If I remember correctly I replaced the tail strobe and power supply with this: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/orion500series.php?clickkey=22408

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Convert to LED. If I remember correctly I replaced the tail strobe and power supply with this: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/orion500series.php?clickkey=22408

Do you know if the wing strobes need to be replaced as well or would a mixed system work together?

2 hours ago, apenney said:

Do you know if the wing strobes need to be replaced as well or would a mixed system work together?

Good question. I am not qualified to answer since I replaced all three at once. They are on the same circuit. For sure any sync wires would have to be disconnected, I would think, if you did it partially.