ELT battery check at annual

Jetlag

Is it normal to get charged extra for an ELT check at your annual?  The ELT has to be inspected at the annual inspection right?  If you pay a base rate for the annual inspection it seems checking the ELT battery would be part of that.  Is it normal for most shops to make that a separate line item and charge for it?  Small fee but it seems to me that would be included in the base rate of the inspection.  I'm a new owner and my first plane.  

Is it normal to get charged extra for an ELT check at your annual?  The ELT has to be inspected at the annual inspection right?  If you pay a base rate for the annual inspection it seems checking the ELT battery would be part of that.  Is it normal for most shops to make that a separate line item and charge for it?  Small fee but it seems to me that would be included in the base rate of the inspection.  I'm a new owner and my first plane.  

First, the ELT annual check is called out by FAR 91.207, para (d)

Each emergency locator transmitter required by paragraph (a) of this section must be inspected within 12 calendar months after the last inspection for--
(1) Proper installation;
(2) Battery corrosion;
(3) Operation of the controls and crash sensor; and
(4) The presence of a sufficient signal radiated from its antenna.

So technically speaking, it has nothing to do with the Annual Inspection, proper.  That said, most shops do include the FAR 91.207 annual tests in their Annual Inspection routine, but there is no regulation that says they must do.

At any rate, the list of items that ARE included in a given shops' "Annual Inspection Program" can vary greatly so you are advised to get a list, in writing, BEFORE dropping oof your Mooney.

Welcome to the Forum & Aircraft Ownership :D

In our experience it has been variable. We were once charged $50 plus $1.50 per battery (D cell) and $1.06 shipping per battery! We now replace the batteries ourselves prior to the annual. The check performed on a non 406 MHz ELT was relatively straightforward when it was demonstrated to us: Disconnect and remove the unit from the plane, then shake it to ascertain the sensor works, then replace. The total time is literally one minute. We have no experience with a 406 MHz ELT.

As an aside, we have been billed for logbook review at the annual even though the facility had been the only one to work on the plane previously $150). We've also been billed $50 to check the AmSafe system, and $100 to lubricate the speed brakes. A 3% shop fee was also added, but was disclosed in fine print.

We agree these are small charges, but it would feel better if we were told about them up front. (One shop even told us they could not do an annual inspection for their advertised price.)

a lot of shops flat rate the money annual at 1700$ or do, but charge for everything else including an oil change, and stuffier this ELT battery. A friend of mine had Yingling do his annual on his Cardinal. He paid for the cowl to be removed and reinstalled for the annual, and also for the oil change even though  the cowl was off it when he showed up to get it. The big outrage was 58$ labor for the dipstick O-ring.  They R&R the dipstick when they change the oil, but "every line item" was billed a minimum of .8 hours labor.

The annual was 8 grand.  When we tried to jack the plane up to change a tire a few weeks later, the jack points were in the glove box. When  we tried to install it on the right wing, it wouldn't bolt up. There was a scab patch on the wing in that spot with dome rivets.  They had run a jack through the wing. 

That same shop later charged 1000$ labor to R&R a dual magneto to the previous owners of my plane. 

just.off topic a.small amount 

what is the shop rate a&ps- ia charge for work .

my "new " guy (ap ia) is charging $50./ hour.

i have never be charged for anything specific just.a rate . 

spark plug removel.cleaning reinstal ..  .2 hours 

well maybe that is specifics too ..

Edited by carl

ELT check is part of the 100/annual, ELT battery replacement might warrant an additional charge, $58.00 for the dip stick o-ring sound more like the dipstick tube o-ring. 

If I was the guy with Cardinal, I would be pissed if they tried to hide something like that. If I was called and told about it I would probably accept a repair, if I found out after the fact they would be paying to have the whole skin replaced at shop of my choice. 

Shop rate would denote the A&P actually has a shop/hangar (translate into overhead) to operate from, the shop would even be equipped with tools for the job being undertaken. 

Other than that the A&P is a free lancer.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

$50hr is very reasonable (i.e. cheap).  If he's talented, you're getting a good value!

Edited by Shadrach

91.207 is part of Subpart C which covers "Equipment, Instrument and Certificate Requirements". Starting at 91.401 deals with Maintenace, which must performed in accordance with the Manufactures procedures, Mooney publishes a 100/Annual Guide, Item 23 of the Airframe section states " Inspect ELT as required by FAR 91.207d(1--4)." so it is now part of the annual inspection as per Mooney. 

91.207 is part of Subpart C which covers "Equipment, Instrument and Certificate Requirements". Starting at 91.401 deals with Maintenace, which must performed in accordance with the Manufactures procedures, Mooney publishes a 100/Annual Guide, Item 23 of the Airframe section states " Inspect ELT as required by FAR 91.207d(1--4)." so it is now part of the annual inspection as per Mooney. 

Whilst that may be true, the FAA doesn't give 2 cents wether the Mooney MM is used as a guide,... or not.

Here's a question for you: Let's say you have the batteries replaced by an avionics shop in January and as they are required, they perform the 91.207, C test. Three months later, you bring it to the shop for an Annual Inspection. 

Would the shop be obliged to re-test the ELT  per 91.207 , D, in order to sign off the Annual Inspection ?

The answer is, of course not, since 91.207,D,  requires that it be performend "every 12 months" and is not part of the Annual Inspection.

ps: I'm an A&P/IA if it makes any difference  ;) 

Edited by N177MC

I looked that reference up yesterday as well.  But how many people are doing the inspection per the Mooney check list and how many per the FAR?  

In any event it is too be checked once every 12 months, whether it's included as part of the Annual or not the owner of the ELT will be paying for it in some form.

Clarence