Wing Tanks Stripped/Resealed at Weep-No-More

AZ231

I've owned my 1980 231 for about a year and a half now, and would notice a very light fuel odor in the cabin if I tried to fuel to max capacity, especially in the right wing. Last Summer, the shop that performed my annual thought they could temporarily patch the problem and buy me a couple of years until a complete reseal was needed. I went that route and can definitely tell you not to waste the $1,000-1,500 you will spend to do so.  Like everyone else who owns a Mooney, I started researching my options to get the job done right and landed on a couple of places. I ultimately chose Weep-No-More because their process made the most sense, and all the feedback I had heard was good.

Paul said that he needed about two weeks to complete the job, so I scheduled it over the Summer since I was already flying to the upper Midwest with a friend for OSH. He was nice enough to hangar my plane for three weeks after OSH until he could get started on the job in mid-August. (Much less hassle to fly directly from OSH to Willmar, MN, than doing another roundtrip from Phoenix to the upper Midwest a month later). I asked Paul to send me some pictures so I could have the process documented for my own records, and share the experience with other Mooney owners.

The "Before" pictures of what my tanks looked like upon initial inspection....

tanks.3.jpg

tanks.2.jpg

tanks.1.jpg

tanks.4.jpg

If you don't mind me asking what was the cost to have this done?

Thanks

Neal

Neal,

It wasn't cheap.  The cost is around $8,000 (for both sides) on a 231 with 37.5 gal tanks. However, after seeing how well my $1,000 patch worked out (it didn't), and knowing that their system is fully warrantied, I thought it was worth the investment to no longer smell 100LL, and to not have to think about it again for as long as I will own the plane. We called all over the Southwest too, and nobody wanted to touch it, including our own Mooney Service Center. I figured if I was going to have to travel somewhere, it might as well be to the company I've read about the most. It felt good landing at Willmar and seeing Mooneys all over the ramp and in Paul's shop too. When I went to pick up the plane it was fully washed and had new wing-walk paint applied 

Yours will be less with fewer bays, but still sobering for sure on price...I split mine by having one tank completed, each year, over two years.  Travel is a hassle, but your flying your Mooney and Minnesota is a beautiful state to explore.

Edited by MyNameIsNobody

I've owned a 82 J for almost three years now. I knew when I bought it the tanks have never been resealed and know I'm on borrowed time. I have this mild odor like you describe in the cabin as well. I always thought the tanks were good until they're leaking visibly from the bottom of the wing. Judging from your post I may need this done sooner than later. I actually bought my bird from Tim up at Wilmar so that's where I'll go as well if/when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Neal,

It wasn't cheap.  The cost is around $8,000 (for both sides) on a 231 with 37.5 gal tanks. However, after seeing how well my $1,000 patch worked out (it didn't), and knowing that their system is fully warrantied, I thought it was worth the investment to no longer smell 100LL, and to not have to think about it again for as long as I will own the plane. We called all over the Southwest too, and nobody wanted to touch it, including our own Mooney Service Center. I figured if I was going to have to travel somewhere, it might as well be to the company I've read about the most. It felt good landing at Willmar and seeing Mooneys all over the ramp and in Paul's shop too. When I went to pick up the plane it was fully washed and had new wing-walk paint applied 

$8000 is still less than I paid for my bladders a few years ago--and that was for 52 gallons!  Luckily I didn't pay for a patch job and went straight to something more long term.  With a patch costing more than 10% of a full strip/reseal and no warranty, it wasn't a hard decision for me.  Based on your pictures and Paul's reputation, you're going to get good results.

Edited by rbridges
  • Like 2

Oder in the cabin maybe just leakage thru the fuel gauge sensors and not require a $8000 re-seal, next annual while you have interior out check them carefully.

This is what we initially thought on mine after seeing discoloration in the interior foam (beneath the carpet). While doing the patch my mechanic replaced the gaskets coming into the fuselage (I'm not an AP so I apologize if I'm getting the terminology wrong here). The new seals reduced the interior fuel odor, but it was still present. If I tried to max fill, it was noticeably worse. I would only fill the right tank if I was immediately taxiing out (on right fuel selector) and flying at least an hour before switching to the left tank. 

Not saying that this will be everyone's situation, but it was certainly mine, and I just wasn't into chasing leaks and odors for the next couple years on a 35 year-old plane. The tanks had never been resealed, so it was time. Historically, my biggest regrets have come when I tried to take the lower cost option. Being self employed with no extra time, it was worth it for me to just do it once and be done with it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My F should be ready for pick op at advanced aircraft at Troutdale OR Tuesday  $8,500 for 64 gallon tanks.

Ron

That's the going rate. I think Advanced Aircraft was either trained by Weep-No-More, or performs their exact process under license. One thing's for sure, after seeing pics of how the process works, I sure wouldn't be doing it myself!

Knock on wood I've been patching my tanks myself for nearly 20 years. If you do it yourself its less than $100 and I've been fortunate that each time I've patched my tank it seems to stay patched for a number of years. Patching is something you can do yourself with a little bit of instruction. Its not hard its just a bit messy. 

I wonder where the Cessna people take their tanks. 

-Robert