Low fuel prices = I've got to fly more

chrisk

I thought WV was in the South.  :)

Virginia is a Southern state, away from DC. Culturally and geographically, to say nothing of weather-wise, West Virginia is completely different. Nice people, though. Where I'm from, a rare snowfall means that everyone stays home until the roads melt clear. It was quite a shock to me, having been in WV and OH for almost 15 years, coming back South again, everyone was startlingly polite. All the tea is sweet, and barbecue is pork. To Yankees, barbecue means to cook (anything) on a grill; to us, it is smoked pork, served with sauce and usually Cole slaw and baked beans, although other sides are often available. (Don't tell this to anyone in Texas . . . They think barbecue is  BEEF!  :P )

besides, WV broke away from VA in 1863, specifically to exchange their gray uniforms for blue, because they had more in common with those people than the Confederacy.

of course, if you're in Canada, most of the country is "the South."

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

At my home airport in Lachute QC, were now down to $1.55CA/ltr.

Converted to US gallons and US dollars, it adds up to $4.41US/gal! Time to go flying!

Now maybe I can afford a trip to Canada!  Hope these prices last until next summer.

At my new home base Texas Gulf Coast Regional (KLBX) just outside Houston they've been working on the self-service terminal all week. After 3 flights this week without refueling, my tanks finally reached the point where "sticking" them didn't tell me anything (down to about 16-20 gallons total) so I broke down and called for the fuel truck on Unicom.

They drove over to the hangar and topped me off at the "truck price" of $3.84/gal. After my $0.25/gal tenant discount it came to $3.59/gal for FULL SERVICE.

I've got no complaints.

• Like 2

$4.83 cash price at my home drone.

Want to save even more?

1.  Get a Phillips 66 credit card.

2.  Join a charity organization, specifically Angel Flight (Central, Mid-Atlantic, Northeast, Oklahoma, South Central, Southeast, or West), Airlift Hope America, or Mercy Flight Southeast.

3.  Fly a mission and buy your fuel for the mission from Phillips 66 using your Phillips card.

4.  Fill out the rebate form and get $1.00/gallon back from Phillips.

I've used it at Spokane (KSFF); stopped at Caldwell, ID (KEUL) on the way home from Boise (KBOI), and stopped at La Grande, OR (KLGD) on the way home from Ontario, OR (KONO).  Fuel at LGD was $4.40.  With the rebate it will end up costing me $3.40.  Saved $1.43/gallon vs buying when I got home.

You can only do that as part of a mission, but that is one thing I take into consideration when planning, especially if it is a multi leg mission.  I try to talk the other pilot into meeting at an airport that has Phillips gas and takes the Phillips card.

And, in addition to saving on gas, the full cost of the mission is a tax deduction.  Get to fly, do some good, save some money.  Win, win, win.

• Like 1