Purchase a C, E or J?

Are you saying you don't love your F?! If so, we may need to revoke your membership in the "Love my F" club. emoji6.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Noooooo - I love my F, but unfortunately, we're outgrowing it and it is struggling to meet the requirements of my mission, which I fly 90% of the time. It simply can't carry the weight anymore and I have a minimum fuel requirement for this flight.

So, I've decided to sell my F and get something that goes as fast or faster, but which can also carry more weight and have the range. Unfortunately, the local used aircraft market is just about at a complete standstill, even more so when it comes to vintage Mooney's. C's and E's are even worse, advertised at giveaway prices, but there aren't any takers. J's are generally moving all the time though.

Just to confirm my loyalty to the F, I saw that modified monster F again yesterday, while viewing a C210, and I there and then decided that if I can live with the "limited" weight carrying ability of the F, while cruising at 175kts!!!
So I made an offer on it. Watch this space...
B)

ZS-EMG.jpg

Edited by Lood
Added picture
  • Like 2

Lood, is that IO550 powered?

like an F Missile?

best regards,

-a-

Hi Carusoam,

It's basically and F that was modified to duplicate an Ovation in terms of wing and tail, to fuselage proportions. The wings were clipped and fitted with custom made wing tips, increased elevator and rudder fitted, new engine mount for the Continental IO520 - 285hp, three bladed prop, the complete nose wheel assembly was moved forward to be better positioned under the engine, as per Ovation spec, etc. As you can see, it has the SWTA 201 windshield and somehow, they kept the two inspection panels that grants access to the rear of the instrument panel from the outside - these are quite a bit smaller than the original panels, but they're there! The cowling was handmade from the proper grade aluminum and it has speed brakes installed in the wings.
Fuel quantity was increased to 72 gal, it has an awesome interior with lengthened luggage bay, two luggage bay doors - one on each side, and so on. It's rather basically equipped in terms of avionics and instruments, but it does have a S-Tec 50 autopilot and an EDM700.

I've flown it and it goes absolutely like crazy. Take off performance and climb is potent and it cruises along at a rather satisfactory 175kts GS in no wind conditions. IIRC, the IAS sits at around 155kts in the cruise.

Although it is a one of a kind, suited for a specific type of owner, I really love this Mooney. Here's an in flight picture:

EMG in flight.jpg

• Like 3

I forgot to add, after being completed, this airplane was subjected to many, many hours of test flights. Certain areas of the fuselage structure was also strengthened by welding in extra tubing at certain points and this whole project was overseen and signed off by an FAA official, all the way from the US. The FAA supplied a complete document of many pages, stipulating everything that this airplane had to comply with and tests it had to pass. Hard to believe if you look at the current state of our CAA and today, this would not be even remotely possible.

I guess you can say this airplane is similar to a Missile.

• Like 2

I forgot to add, after being completed, this airplane was subjected to many, many hours of test flights. Certain areas of the fuselage structure was also strengthened by welding in extra tubing at certain points and this whole project was overseen and signed off by an FAA official, all the way from the US. The FAA supplied a complete document of many pages, stipulating everything that this airplane had to comply with and tests it had to pass. Hard to believe if you look at the current state of our CAA and today, this would not be even remotely possible.

So, it is still considered an FAA certified airplane? What are they selling it for?

electric gear and flaps or manual?

Edited by Shadrach

As far as I'm aware, it is still fully certified here, because it still carries the "ZS" registration, where just about all South African NTCA airplanes are "ZU" registered and it still has to be maintained by a certified AME. A couple of restrictions were placed upon it though. It may not be rented for hire and fly and I also think that it may not be used for any commercial operations where it is used for financial reward, among others.
I'm not 100% sure about the selling price and if it is definitely for sale. I just heard a rumor and my guess is that it should sell for somewhere around the $48 - $50k US mark.

Shadrack, yes they did indeed keep the original manual flaps and gear! Comparing its W&B and other specs to my own, or probably any other standard F, it can load a little more and due the high cruise speed, it has the same range, regardless of the higher fuel consumption.

It's nowhere close to an Ovation or even a 231 (at altitude) but it is an exceptional airplane. They call it "The poor man's Ovation".

• Like 2

As far as I'm aware, it is still fully certified here, because it still carries the "ZS" registration, where just about all South African NTCA airplanes are "ZU" registered and it still has to be maintained by a certified AME. A couple of restrictions were placed upon it though. It may not be rented for hire and fly and I also think that it may not be used for any commercial operations where it is used for financial reward, among others.

I'm not 100% sure about the selling price and if it is definitely for sale. I just heard a rumor and my guess is that it should sell for somewhere around the $48 - $50k US mark.

Shadrack, yes they did indeed keep the original manual flaps and gear! Comparing its W&B and other specs to my own, or probably any other standard F, it can load a little more and due the high cruise speed, it has the same range, regardless of the higher fuel consumption.

It's nowhere close to an Ovation or even a 231 (at altitude) but it is an exceptional airplane. They call it "The poor man's Ovation".

At 48k USD, it would be a nice project plane to modernize the avionics on. For 90k, you could have a nice equipped Mooney. Too bad it would cost you a ton to ferry it back.

• Like 1

What is the increase in MGW?

I'm not sure, but I'll can find out. I did the W&B calculations I was referring to quite a few years ago and I don't have that info anymore. I stand to be corrected, but IIRC the gross weight was increased to 3000lbs or 3050lbs. I seem to remember that it has a payload (with full fuel) of between 650lbs and 700lbs.

I also remember now that they actually used an OEM M20R/S engine mount, the nose wheel assembly was moved forward by 8 inches and the empennage was reinforced as per that of the Ovation.

At 48k USD, it would be a nice project plane to modernize the avionics on. For 90k, you could have a nice equipped Mooney. Too bad it would cost you a ton to ferry it back.

But it's the coolest and most unique vintage J Bar Mooney that will ever be.  You can't put a price on the curiosity and adulation of a tiny niche community ;)

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Welcome aboard Bob!

Start with upgrading the pilot to IR…

This will give you the experience to upgrade what you want to get the IFR capabilities you need…

Otherwise, a new instrument panel for 50amu will answer most of your question…

Much of what you want is defined by what you will need… to fly to the places you want to go… with the type of weather that exists there…

GPS with WAAS capability is popular…

VOR/ILS are aging standards…

Back-ups and plans B are important too…

Set a budget, post a pic of the existing panel…

A minimalist approach of a single VOR is great… avoiding tough weather situations is important if you use this logic…

The next level up includes two VOR receiver/displays to identify intersections on Victor highways…

The level after that includes an ILS receiver/display to supply a method of descending through clouds to the ground…

The lowest cost route to adding these skills is often found with a used G430W…

Decide what you want to do first, then your budget, then see Alan for pre-flown hardware…

Then get it installed and tested… and train.

PP thoughts only, not a CFI, or mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, Robert M said:

Hello folks. I am purchasing my first airplane and needless to say I'm excited. it is a E model Mooney and not IFR rated. I have not yet taken possession of the airplane. what is needed to upgrade to IFR?

Bob

91.205 gives a good list of all the things you need for IFR flight. Other than thats its the required inspections for IFR such as the pitot static test, transponder, etc. Dont forget your 30 day VOR checks if you still have one. 

As far as upgrading. 50AMUs as @carusoam said may be a bit steep. You could in theory get a 375/255a and 106B for fairly cheap aroudn 10AMUs or 10 grand. Itll probably be more than that. That said, sarasota has a IFR package set up for 16AMUs

https://sarasotaavionics.com/ifr-package-1-5

Of course you can always get used stuff as well and depending on what you want, the price changes as well. 

2 hours ago, Robert M said:

Hello folks. I am purchasing my first airplane and needless to say I'm excited. it is a E model Mooney and not IFR rated. I have not yet taken possession of the airplane. what is needed to upgrade to IFR?

Bob

Congratulations on your purchase, you’ll love it!  

Upgrading to an instrument platform comes in many variations, obviously budget plays a major role.  If you can post a picture of your current panel you’ll get many suggestions,  we love helping spend other people’s money.

Clarence

1 hour ago, Mooney Dog said:

50AMUs as @carusoam said may be a bit steep.

Full agreement… when spending 50amu… that IS steep!   :)

Some people enjoy multiple color touch screens in their short body Mooneys…

Some planes earn their forever-plane status… and a 50 amu IFR panel is often what they have…

Two touchscreen navigators… two color screen displays… a super nice engine monitor…. Throw on some method of filling the screens with weather and traffic….

How about an anti Ice system to go with that?

Some Mooney instrument panels can be purchased with the plane thrown in to sweeten the deal…

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

How about an anti Ice system to go with that?

Look man, im trying to win the lotto, i dont need more things to waste all the money on! 

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Some Mooney instrument panels can be purchased with the plane thrown in to sweeten the deal…

This is actually how i got my E. Bought the engine and new panel, plane came with it. 

• Like 1