Alex's M20D (continuous thread)

9 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'll take the contrary opinion here... yes, sell the Mooney. She got you here, and has completed her job. You can now go to work and fly the shit out of those Cessnas. Get your 1500 hours and the ATP that goes with it. When you get that right seat for one of the majors, you can get yourself a nice FO's M20J. A few years later when you get the left seat, sell the J and get yourself a proper Captain's Acclaim Ultra.

I'll go a little further and say be selective who you let buy your baby. You have poured hours, dollars, and sweat into her, and you can be selective who you let have it, if you want to be. There seems to be a great market for well maintained Cs right now, and yours fits that category.

Best of luck as you "fly" forward in your career!

• Like 2

Alex is like light years ahead of so many puppy mill pilots and CFI’s (and even Regional pilots) right now as he is racking up some serious time. I find this quite interesting how a working man puts himself thru training (the CB route), miraculously gets a low-time job that gives ample PIC time, and who’s job appears to be pandemic-proof.

Just think of all of those poor souls who have put six-figures into their training and they are sitting on their butts and will probably still be sitting still a year from now.

• Like 6

I love my wife.  Why?  Because she just quietly let me read through all 35 pages of this...and it's awesome.  Congratulations to you, sir, for working towards your dreams so diligently.

Funny note...at the part where you showed your DigiKey order of the LED landing gear indicator bulbs I jumped onto my DigiKey account and ordered the same ones...then, a couple pages later, you described how they won't work as wired.  I was real timing it, though!

• Like 3

On 4/9/2020 at 10:14 PM, gsxrpilot said:

I'll take the contrary opinion here... yes, sell the Mooney. She got you here, and has completed her job. You can now go to work and fly the shit out of those Cessnas. Get your 1500 hours and the ATP that goes with it. When you get that right seat for one of the majors, you can get yourself a nice FO's M20J. A few years later when you get the left seat, sell the J and get yourself a proper Captain's Acclaim Ultra.

I tend to agree. You’ll fly the heck out of the Cessna. Get your hours. As long as you’re flying regularly, why let the Mooney sit? If you want to go somewhere, rent or fly commercial. I’m sure you’ll have your fill of flying and will need a break. Enjoy what you’re doing for now. Save the $ from the sale of yours so you’ll be ready to pounce on your next plane.

Have fun!

-Don

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's been on my mind the past few weeks. I'd be lying if life isn't the most-stressed its been in a while. I'm flying 5 hours a day in a Skyhawk. Took a hit in pay changing careers but temporarily moving up here for 6 months means I've taken on rent for an apartment. Pay down, costs higher. Can't go out. Haven't seen any family/friends in weeks. But its a means to an end, this will (hopefully) get me into something better paying, and quickly.

Financially, it makes perfect sense to sell the plane. I could probably get $25k for it, and with that pay off every debt I owe, and have some cash for a down payment on a house (GF and I still rent, was hoping to buy once I hit a airline job offer at 1500 hours but we all know how that will go). Emotionally, I don't want to. She's paid off. My boss is paying to keep her stuck in the back of the 172 community hangar. Monthly cost to keep the oil circluated and have a 5 hour flight home versus a 17 hour drive is pretty much negligible. All I hear in my head when I think of selling her is all those stories from my dad/uncles/grandpas who had their "toy" when they were in their 20s and regret selling it.

I don't know. It really is stressful.

OTOH, she does need some love whether I keep her or not. Biggest issue right now is she has scratching in the radios, but only above 2,000RPM and gets louder/faster with engine speed up to 2,700RPM. Crystal clear when I depress the PTT. I don't have any tools or DMM to diagnose, but I'm primarily thinking diode failure or worn brushes. It has been about 3 years and 500 hours since I've put the PlanePower on her. Has anyone ever had to repair a PlanePower unit? Google search comes up with nothing. I'm away from my tools, I'm away from my mechanic. Only help on the field is an airline mechanic and he charges $100/hr (which is almost TRIPLE what I pay back in FL).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

Financially, it makes perfect sense to sell the plane. I could probably get $25k for it, and with that pay off every debt I owe, and have some cash for a down payment on a house (GF and I still rent, was hoping to buy once I hit a airline job offer at 1500 hours but we all know how that will go). Emotionally, I don't want to. She's paid off. 

25k? I would think you've got more than that in it not counting ALL the sweat equity. It's a tough call but if I were making it, i'd keep it

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

I could probably get $25k for it.....

and he charges $100/hr (which is almost TRIPLE what I pay back in FL).

@Raptor05121  Alex- the work and documentation you've done on your Mooney is amazing, inspirational and extremely beneficial to the community.  I haven't looked at your thread recently but I think your plane is worth way more than $25k..certainly in the 40's without looking.

I don't in live FL currently, but man, how awesome would it be to find a A&P for less than ~$40/hr. especially one that took such great care of you.

Keep driving (flying) brother!

My engine is 2500SMOH and my panel is a standard COM/NAV + DME from the 1960s. I don't see it even close to 30k.

My mechanic back home is $45/hr. Mainly me doing work and him watching. Old Reeve Aleutian guy that worked on radials and TPs and everything inbetween in Alaska for 30 years. Good learning. 

1 hour ago, Raptor05121 said:

My engine is 2500SMOH and my panel is a standard COM/NAV + DME from the 1960s. I don't see it even close to 30k.

My mechanic back home is $45/hr. Mainly me doing work and him watching. Old Reeve Aleutian guy that worked on radials and TPs and everything inbetween in Alaska for 30 years. Good learning. 

Regrettably, you have reached the sad reality of a vintage Mooney.

• Thanks 1

If you can manage to keep it, I would.   Replacement cost would be a significant multiple of what you have in it, and if you like airplane ownership (the fun parts, anyway), it'll always be a higher barrier to entry than what you have now.   Since you're young you have time on your side, and if you're just starting your aviation career you probably need to be mobile, anyway, so a house might not be a great investment at this point.    If you get moved around for work, the airplane could make that easier rather than harder.   It may make other opportunities easier, as well.

• Like 2

You want $25K. The next guy figures he’ll be stuck with the engine job plus avionics upgrades. It will be real easy to burn through $50k plus taking care of those two items. So it becomes a $75k plus ticket for the next caretaker right off the bat.

Even if you have to take less to unload it, you avoid the engine job and that will save you some real money and the associated aggravations that go along with it.

There is a lot of thought that goes into selecting an aircraft for purchase. If you have unlimited resources, that makes it easier. This experience will leave you far more enlightened for the next buying experience.

• Like 2

I spoke with Jewell last fall and it’s 14.4 to R&R the engine and overhaul it. Add 1.2 plus shipping for Cody to re-seal the prop. Hopefully no cracked case or crank issues. Add x to have the engine mount overhauled. So it could be easily refreshed for around 18 AMU’s without you doing any of the work.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2020 at 3:55 PM, tigers2007 said:

I spoke with Jewell last fall and it’s 14.4 to R&R the engine and overhaul it. Add 1.2 plus shipping for Cody to re-seal the prop. Hopefully no cracked case or crank issues. Add x to have the engine mount overhauled. So it could be easily refreshed for around 18 AMU’s without you doing any of the work.

As "cheap" as that sounds- $18k on a "toy" for someone who is 28 years old is a TALL ask. I still have college debt, credit cards, etc. I haven't made my mind up on what I want to do.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Update on all things N6744U-

I've just crossed 900TT in my logbook. Most of it is being gained by flying 172's approximately 20hrs/week. The Mooney has been flown a few times since I've eliminated the static in the radios. Tomorrow I'm off to renew my IFR pitot-static check and then we get ready for a ride with the FAA.....

Some of you know me well enough that I'm blind in my right eye. For the past five years I've been fighting the FAA red tape in regards to my medical and monocular vision. I flew for fun the first few years and looked into going commercial/2nd class. I got that done, had to do ANOTHER medical test flight. Now building time and looking at the airlines I went and visited my local FSDO and inspector I've gotten to know and started the process to see if I could get a unrestricted 1st class to go to the airlines. Its been 6 months of red tape, eye exams (no insurance, either), letters of recommendation by prior CFIs and DPEs sent, and going back and forth and a few days got the word my one eye meets the requirements for monocular vision. All that's left is a successful medical test flight with the local FSDO. If that happens, I'll be joining the ranks of the few airline pilots with one eye and a 1st class medical.

• Like 10

I get to be the first person to say....   Congratulations Alex!

I voted you the most likely to succeed,  years ago...  :)

You define the word sticktoitiveness....

Plan and execute, must be your middle name...

Never give up, a great motto or you...

PP thoughts only, keep up the good work...

:)

Best regards,

-a-

On 4/9/2020 at 11:15 AM, Raptor05121 said:

Of course being that I'm no longer paying to fly, my mind has been rolling about the possibility of selling the Mooney...

I hope you don't but whoever buys your mooney will definitely have a well looked over plane. 

Keep it. They will cost more in the future. It will be more difficult to find the time to do the work in the future. The next airplane will have all the same issues that you just fixed. Keep tinkering and playing with it. Until the mission really changes or the funds drastically improve, you won’t find a cheaper aircraft to operate. 
Love the one you’re with!

I could not buy the airplane I have now. 

-Matt

• Like 2

Best of luck with the medical test flight!    I hope the doors keep opening for you.

I let my bad right eye, which isn't quite as bad as yours, keep me out of an aviation career, so I'm glad you're going for it instead!

• 3 months later...

Update: I am back home. I spent the last 6 months in Springfield, IL flying survey for corn fields. I logged 400 hours between a 172, a 182, and my Mooney. She's been a flying carpet and has ferried me to and from home four times in my stay up there. I did get a prop balance done on N6744U. She was at .27 IPS and they got her down to .07 IPS. The great part is the IA who did it has a program with the local college so I got a good deal on labor in exchange for letting him use my plane to demonstrate how to balance a prop to a bunch of new AME's

118878454_10158638416494640_8317204332336766933_o.thumb.jpg.abb1040df85955b360a05047c0724c28.jpg

My Concorde RG-35AXC finally died after 650 hours/5 years during the multiple starts during the balance. I replaced it with a Gill sealed unit (no pictures). My decision was based on $70 cheaper price, longer warranty, higher CCAs, and lighter weight. I know they got a bad rap with their wet units, but I decided to give them another try. Of course her first trip with the new battery and prop balance was used as a parts ship to retrieve parts for the work planes which was fun.

118838348_10158642362464640_3347203625634147698_n.jpg.88b67b7362fc8b643572528a69d5b92d.jpg

But I'm finally home. Season came to a close and I loaded her up with half of my possessions. She did well for little volume.

119941487_10158678387274640_5824733662674784235_o.thumb.jpg.1fcf9531146de1caa7d16abfa128cc52.jpg

119967381_10158678387384640_8757314828848916926_o.thumb.jpg.88ce03131265fa13a5fcf74aa0c126de.jpg

I managed to fit my 29" Trek mountain bike inside the plane. With no hat rack, the head tube was jarring me in the shoulder and the derailer was smashed against the back wall. The only way to fit my suitcase and 52lb desktop computer (priorities, right?) was to fit one wheel behind me and the other in the passenger seat, which precluded me from getting in the airplane first- I had to crawl in then pull the wheel behind me into the copilot seat.

But we are home. Sitting at 1,200 hours now. I'd like to go after my CFI next but work has been throwing new work at me faster than I can keep up. Next step is some multi flying (fingers crossed) and hoping the airlines recover. Because, now I'm able to fly them since this came in: First Class Medical & SODA with monocular vision. According to the FAA, I am one of 247 pilots with a 1st class and monocular vision. I don't see much Mooney flying for me in the future. Still undecided what to do with 44U.

119056908_10158651442994640_8809708464735840530_n.thumb.jpg.5ca6f062e0450b2ff2fa6bae9388fbc4.jpg

Edited by Raptor05121
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, carusoam said:

Congrats Alex!

For the Class 1... and SODA...

And You passed me...for total hours...!

:)

What’s next?

Best regards,

-a-

Winter survey season starts soon- hope to be in a multi by next week. A couple hundred hours of that will set me up pretty good I think for the future I'm trying to fit a CFI ride inbetween that.

• Like 3