Alex's M20D (continuous thread)

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:52 AM, nosky2high said:

Alex, to save some time, unless you want to track VORs for experience, ask for direct via radar vectors. Put in the remarks column of the flight plan, “VFR GPS equipped”. They will likely clear you direct, traffic permitting. Congrats on the IR, that’s the real license to learn. 

Just got back from my flight. Interesting note, upon passing Atlanta southbound, ATL Center asked me if I had a GPS tablet. I responded in the affirm and he gave me a clearance direct to my destination. Interesting stuff. None of this came up during my training.

• Like 5

Just now, Raptor05121 said:

Dave, I'm not too sure. That SB does not ring a bell to me.

Ok thanks. It’s an old SB from 1967- it is also an AD and most likely would have been complied with on your plane a long, long time ago...although the link lubrication is the recurring portion.

I only gave it as a reference regarding removing the links. 

Maybe somebody else here has changed them on an early serial numbered aircraft...?

4 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

Just got back from my flight. Interesting note, upon passing Atlanta southbound, ATL Center asked me if I had a GPS tablet. I responded in the affirm and he gave me a clearance direct to my destination. Interesting stuff. None of this came up during my training.

This might kill my plans to find an old 430 unit and install it! 

3 minutes ago, PilotCoyote said:

This might kill my plans to find an old 430 unit and install it! 

When I did my IR check ride 6 yrs ago the DPE pulled out an Advisory Circular (can't remember the #) and showed were it was fine to use a tablet for Enroute Navigation under both VFR & IFR...

Enroute GPS and approach GPS are two different things. I've battled this mental decision for a while. The small increase in price from a defunct 430 to a 650 is a no-brainer. Install times and costs are the same, and I think theres a $2-3k difference in purchasing price? Even for someone as cheap as me, I'd just opt for a 650 if I had the funds to redo my panel. I really wish I had the ability to do GPS approaches. As it currently stands, if my home field were IFR, I'd have to fly 40 miles south to Gainesville for an ILS and then Uber back home. This is why I recommend younger aspiring owners to buy a plane already GPS-equipped for IFR operations.  

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, PilotCoyote said:

The Garmin GPS 175 is only $5000 new. If you’ve already got nav and comm radios, a GPS 175 with a G5 HSI is a low cost route to LPV approaches

4300 thru Spruce..... And you and your A&P can install it vs an avionics shop

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PilotCoyote said:

The Garmin GPS 175 is only $5000 new. If you’ve already got nav and comm radios, a GPS 175 with a G5 HSI is a low cost route to LPV approaches

Only on an aviation forum would you find "only" and "$5000" in the same sentence :P

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/1/2019 at 7:39 PM, tigers2007 said:

Alex approximately how many hours have you racked up in the Mooney?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've put approximately 550 hours on her since purchase at the beginning of this thread/ Sept 2015.

Almost to 2300SMOH. Blackstone says engine is fantastic and last time I had the jugs off the cam and crank were beautiful.

I'm in the midst of finishing my Commercial Multi-Engine Add-On and doing a major career change. I'm curently a 9-1-1 Supervisor at local county government, and trying to step into the commercial pilot world. Maybe even get onboard regionals next year and get my ATP? I'd love to be able to up my income so I can start putting money into 6744U. She desperately needs panel work.

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

Well not directly related to the Mooney, but I did this today:

Capture.JPG.66b894bdf2319ae534abee1de740c952.JPG

Alex, When flying twin engine airplanes it is best to start both engines, otherwise you are better off in your Money. ;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2