Alex's M20D (continuous thread)

I’m right there with yah at over 2200. My compressions were good from my annual in Feb. I have yet to fly it due to bad wx and the fact it’s located three hours from me. Of course I waited until two weeks ago to have the A&P pull the AI and DG to be overhauled which is taking weeks. Since we have the same engine and vintage I recently did some intel work for that dreadful decision we’ll have to make one day:
Jewell Aviation overhaul cost
$1700 labor to R&R if you fly it there
$3000 prop overhaul (3-blade Hartzell)
$12700 engine overhaul (A1D)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Special thanks to @Cody Stallings at Stallings Aircraft Propeller. He was gracious enough to let me borrow his big boy degaussing toy to fix my mag compass issue.

For three years I've never had a proper reading magnetic compass. Which we all rarely look at them, but going for my IFR checkride here shortly, the mag compass becomes primary when you do the 'no gyro' approach and 30 degrees off heading is not technically legal.

I switched the old whiskey compass out to this PAI-700 thinking it was a compass issue but then I learned about Mooney's wise decision to mount a magnetic compass to a steel tube. Over the years as people used vacuums or welded new gussets onto the engine mounts to kill an AD, the frame became magnetized. As you can see in my first picture, the aircraft is pointed due East but is indicating 055. Even with the compass correction balls and that Mu-Metal stuff, it never read accurately

61620738_10157282043849640_3200001092242898944_o.thumb.jpg.9ba6b85c9a7cc7c586b0cf185f0b275b.jpg

Following Mooney SB M20-150A for degaussing procedures, my IA and I took about 10 swipes with a degaussing coil to knock down the error to about 10 degrees and the internal compensators were able to correct off that.

61337657_10157282043904640_8823935044625104896_o.thumb.jpg.76966f8244370700085f0a3be1aed736.jpg

61405927_10157282044054640_8780407419390918656_n.thumb.jpg.ecfb2414f1dc3ecdc54963514cbf1e05.jpg

My home airport had a compass rose and all cardinal directions are true within 3 degrees :D

61263516_10157282044224640_7948862005257961472_o.thumb.jpg.5107aa7eb8ed80bdad374957f3ae20cf.jpg

Time for a new compass correction card and time to call the DPE. And thanks again to Stallings Aircraft Propeller. When the time comes to send my 3-blade Hartzell out, I know where it's going.

Edited by Raptor05121
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Way to go Alex...

1) for detailing the degaussing effort.  That is spectacular!    

My first attempt at IR training ended when my compass behaved miserably... had heard of degaussing Mooneys but couldn’t make any headway at finding how to get it done... no MS at the time...

2) Congrats on getting to your next level... good luck on the check ride!  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Been thinking about busting open the old 36" RCA tube tv in the attic for the degausser. CFII was a little concerned with mine, but my check ride was cx last week due to wx and now im in annual this month. IA is gonna try the compensators first, but I'll be sure to show him this post.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Aaaaaand on the flight home.....

65029546_10157333342894640_6104129489556471808_n.jpg.fa64a4f1695dd791889ccd9a26c5fae5.jpg

Irony? Luck?

My plane is equipped with a Precise Flight backup which (with a power reduction) it pulled enough vacuum to erect the gyros. Good practice and interesting to see how the engine's intake system provides suction for these units. Back to Mooney-ing while a replacement is on the way. Looks like the old pump was installed in 2013, and was the last entry before I bought the plane. Lasted 428 hours. I'm also temporarily doubling my personal minimums for the first 15 hours of operation with the new pump until I'm comfortable with its use.

Edited by Raptor05121
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Aaaaaand on the flight home.....

65029546_10157333342894640_6104129489556471808_n.jpg.fa64a4f1695dd791889ccd9a26c5fae5.jpg

Irony? Luck?

My plane is equipped with a Precise Flight backup which (with a power reduction) it pulled enough vacuum to erect the gyros. Good practice and interesting to see how the engine's intake system provides suction for these units. Back to Mooney-ing while a replacement is on the way. Looks like the old pump was installed in 2013, and was the last entry before I bought the plane. Lasted 428 hours. I'm also temporarily doubling my personal minimums for the first 15 hours of operation with the new pump until I'm comfortable with its use.

I replace my vacuum pump at 500 hours. The last one failed, incredibly, at 499 hours. I do have a backup electric AI so it was no big deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Stones are rolling in my life. I started my tailwheel training a few days ago using a 115hp Citabria. Its a complete 180 from flying a Mooney but oh boy what a blast. I have a few more lessons until I finish up.

untitled.thumb.png.5c348b7c952c3b95e00272ba28d7dab7.png

I completed my ground school for commercial, I have the written scheduled for next week. I also have to upgrade my 3rd Class Medical to a second class for commercial privileges and deal with the FAA again in trying to get my SODA taken care of. Upgrading a SODA requires a deferral to Oklahoma City along with my previous flight test and new results should hopefully allow them to either issue it on the spot or worst-case, require me to take another flight test.

(No picture). We also replaced my vacuum pump without the specialty wrench. Only took us 6 hours but next time, I'd buy the wrench. Check-out flight is normal and my AI shoots up to erect position within seconds now.

In the meantime, I looked for a good excuse to go fly my first IFR flight on my own so we headed down to Deland for some grub at the bar & grill on the field. /A meant taking the long way down but ATC gave me vectors direct until I got close enough to cancel. But I did manage to go through the one cloud present on a CAVU day, so 0.1 actual logged

IFR.PNG.975fb2d1c6c90a01db805cc015cbc8b6.PNG

Edited by Raptor05121
  • Like 2

On June 18, 2019 at 8:34 PM, Raptor05121 said:

Instrument Rated!

64669947_10157330259799640_351725235625525248_o.thumb.jpg.822fe407b4eb24ca96348c233ea1ebdd.jpg

Congratulations on a great achievement in your flying career! You'll be amazed at how much more practical your airplane is for travel when you can "go IFR."  Commercial will be a piece of cake!

• Like 2

Congrats on your Instrument Rating, the Citabria will make a stick & rudder pilot out of you. If your going for you CFI might as well get your spin training while getting your tail wheel endorsement 

On 6/28/2019 at 11:06 AM, Raptor05121 said:

Stones are rolling in my life. I started my tailwheel training a few days ago using a 115hp Citabria. Its a complete 180 from flying a Mooney but oh boy what a blast. I have a few more lessons until I finish up.

untitled.thumb.png.5c348b7c952c3b95e00272ba28d7dab7.png

I completed my ground school for commercial, I have the written scheduled for next week. I also have to upgrade my 3rd Class Medical to a second class for commercial privileges and deal with the FAA again in trying to get my SODA taken care of. Upgrading a SODA requires a deferral to Oklahoma City along with my previous flight test and new results should hopefully allow them to either issue it on the spot or worst-case, require me to take another flight test.

(No picture). We also replaced my vacuum pump without the specialty wrench. Only took us 6 hours but next time, I'd buy the wrench. Check-out flight is normal and my AI shoots up to erect position within seconds now.

In the meantime, I looked for a good excuse to go fly my first IFR flight on my own so we headed down to Deland for some grub at the bar & grill on the field. /A meant taking the long way down but ATC gave me vectors direct until I got close enough to cancel. But I did manage to go through the one cloud present on a CAVU day, so 0.1 actual logged

IFR.PNG.975fb2d1c6c90a01db805cc015cbc8b6.PNG

Alex, probably in a few years of instrument flying, your comfort for flying in foul weather will increase...  if you get the multi and start flying that more, it will increase more and more.   Eventually, like many including myself, you’ll be flying through some weather that will give you the ride of your life.    It is at that point when the aerobatics experience in the citabria will keep you cool and clear minded.    I remember the first time I pull 5-7 g’s doing loops and stuff for about 20 minutes my brain pretty much stopped working.   After a week or so doing that, you begin to be able to maintain clear thinking even when subjected to high g load physical sensations and less blood in the brain.    The aerobatic training will pay off later when you have to calmly and clearly make correct split second decisions in extreme turbulence...  hopefully you will never make a poor decision to enter that kind of weather, but sometimes it looks more benign than it actually is.    I’ve enjoyed reading your story over time.  Keep it up!

• Like 2

Barrel rolls, hammer head, loops- all fun. I draw the line at snap rolls- those are worse than the spinning tea cups ride at Disneyland (my nemesis).

I have enjoyed this thread immensely. I read it from beginning to end at least twice right after I got my “D”.  

Looking back on my flying career, being a CFI was without a doubt the most rewarding experience that I have ever had. Please continue to post your progress!

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 6:30 PM, EricJ said:

Congrats on the IR, and enjoy the tailwheel training!   I did mine in a Supercub and it was genuinely a ton of fun.   I'd think a Citabria would be even more so.

I asked my CFI about the idiosyncrasies between them. He said the Citabria is much more tame. 115hp wood wing with short, wide landing gear and snub nose. I'd love to log some Cubbie time!

• Like 1

I'm ready to get my commercial done. The Mooney is flying great. Everything is working, no hiccups, flying smoother than a baby's butt. So far I'm at 500 hours in her in the past 3 years. I bought the Gleim Commercial Online Ground School on July 1st. Finished it in 2 days, did 6 practice tests (all getting 89%) and popped down to Gainesville yesterday and passed my written with................. an 89% :lol: 

untitled.thumb.png.04ab30cc3f24c3cce8fd411941060378.png

I've got my first REAL instrument flight all planned out for tomorrow. My parents recently retired, sold everything and are on the move in their new 5th Wheel and dually pickup in Tennessee. My siblings are driving to them to spend the 4th of July weekend out on a boat. The girlfriend and I will be taking the Mooney, of course. I've flown this route VFR once before and had to land in Georgia and wait 4 hours because of an overcast layer. Too bad its should be a beautiful day tomorrow with high pressure system over us. Oh well! Chasing the VORs some more...

shady.PNG.17d2dbce0c1e2507e943e87a358d4a55.PNG

We will be starting commercial maneuvers when I get back. My CFI is a real trooper. He usually does primary students and they move on and do other things in life. I've known him since 2015 and if we don't fly once or twice a week, I'm usually over there on the afternoons listening to his regaling stories about flying B-52s or the like, beer in hand. I am having a hard time trying to think of a gift to give him. What do you give to someone who has everything? My original goal a few months ago was to have it done by my birthday (July 22) but I doubt that will be the case. August might be more realistic. I do have a goal of 750TT and Multi by Dec 31, however.

Edited by Raptor05121
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, nosky2high said:

Alex, to save some time, unless you want to track VORs for experience, ask for direct via radar vectors. Put in the remarks column of the flight plan, “VFR GPS equipped”. They will likely clear you direct, traffic permitting. Congrats on the IR, that’s the real license to learn.  

Hey thanks, that's interesting. I was curious how that worked as my last dinner flight they gave me direct when I was 60nm north. They sounded perturbed when I told them I was /A, they just gave me vectors. This route actually might work best, as every time I get near Atlanta, they always make me go around.

Before I had my gtn and all, I would occasionally be cleared direct while enroute.  It usually made almost no difference in flight time, so I always declined advising /B, though my aera could have done the job just fine.  My uncle flew his c402 /B IFR direct for 20 years using only a $200 automotive handheld gps with a 2” black and white screen, later an iPad.   He always said the controllers don’t know any different.   :huh:  Not really how I would advise doing things. 

Edited by Browncbr1
  • Like 1

Alex,

not sure whether you have had to deal with your main gear retracting links yet, but my D needs the bushings replaced on both sides...

SBM20-155 SBM20-155 deals with the retrofit of the new style retract links (which I have), and states that for the earlier D serial number planes (those manufactured prior to SN 252), that you can’t simply unbolt the rear bearing block and swing the rear of the gear into the corner to change the links- you’ve got to remove the entire gear from the wing. I’m not sure what changed with the later serial numbered aircraft that makes this job easier...

If you did have to replace your links or bushings, did you find it necessary to completely remove the gear from the wing? Not looking forward to this chore!

Looks like I’ll have to make a main gear spring removal/install tool as well.

Any info appreciated. Thanks,

Dave

Edited by PilotCoyote