Alex's M20D (continuous thread)

So I took her up today. It took me about 2-3 hours to recowl the entire airplane. The lower cowl is a PITA.

I did a 15 minute ground taxi with two run-ups and all was fine so I took her up. Well we landed about an hour later and discovered the entire left side and belly of the airplane covered in oil. It looks like one of the rows of the oil cooler had finally split open. Its been seeping since I bought it, the left two rows have been discolored and I'd always find it wet to the touch after a flight but never more than a 1/2 tbsp of film anywhere so I've been meaning to replace it, but now I have to. Luckily during the hour flight we only lost 2 qts of oil. I already ordered a new oil cooler and the good thing about this is I can finally comply with Mooney SB M20-110 to reroute the oil lines from atop my cylinders to around back where they belong. Maybe I can gain a few degrees of cooling in the process for the CHTs

21248469_10155698320574640_6636298579918

@Hector maybe I can get this done before next weekend

So I took her up today. It took me about 2-3 hours to recowl the entire airplane. The lower cowl is a PITA.

I did a 15 minute ground taxi with two run-ups and all was fine so I took her up. Well we landed about an hour later and discovered the entire left side and belly of the airplane covered in oil. It looks like one of the rows of the oil cooler had finally split open. Its been seeping since I bought it, the left two rows have been discolored and I'd always find it wet to the touch after a flight but never more than a 1/2 tbsp of film anywhere so I've been meaning to replace it, but now I have to. Luckily during the hour flight we only lost 2 qts of oil. I already ordered a new oil cooler and the good thing about this is I can finally comply with Mooney SB M20-110 to reroute the oil lines from atop my cylinders to around back where they belong. Maybe I can gain a few degrees of cooling in the process for the CHTs

21248469_10155698320574640_6636298579918369925_o.jpg?oh=a983a3566a900df0ddcf352e76bffa69&oe=5A13FECC

[mention=10018]Hector[/mention] maybe I can get this done before next weekend

No problem Alex. I'll make other arrangements if you can't do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Oil cooler replaced!!

And the very next flight....low voltage indication. Took off with 14.0, I got worried around 12.1-11.9v and landed with 9.9. She would not start. The battery is sitting on a trickle charger and I'll be sure to do a capacity test on it later. Concorde RG-35AXC installed new Nov 2016.

I'm getting 5v on the field with master on. Per Mike Busch, that's indicative of an alternator problem. Logbooks say "overhauled alternator P/N A152-A installed" and also "replaced excitation resistor on back of alternator" in 2000. I cannot find an 'A152-A alternator' anywhere online.

I'm about to head to the hangar and pull the lower cowling. I also have a solid state voltage regulator but it looks old. I do not see an adjustable screw anywhere on it. I'll also grab pics.

25 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

I'm about to head to the hangar and pull the lower cowling. I also have a solid state voltage regulator but it looks old. I do not see an adjustable screw anywhere on it. I'll also grab pics.

Isn't Mother Nature fixing to bitch slap the crap out of you?

• Like 1

If you have The time to look up the zefftronics...

Then compare to what you have...  might say electro delta or delco?  right on it's 1960s metal box.

If it's an old electro delta box, open the cover.  There isn't anything like a microchip in there anywhere..,.

In my C, I think mine was a box of springs and sticks and stones... :)

If you have to get a new voltage regulator, the zeftronics is a worthy upgrade.  Also get the additional failure warning LED lights...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/zeftronicsreg.php

My controller failed and melted the solder out of the generator, then drained the battery.  I knew I had a problem when the radio displays started to flash... daytime, VFR, no big deal...

Good luck.

Best regards,

-a-

17 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

21743714_10155727413779640_8100581657776

Looks old as hell but its obvious its mounted on the panel of the old mechanical one. Potting material on the backside of the connections.

Alternator is removed. Looking for shops.

I replaced my OEM with a Zeft unit when I updated to an EI digital voltage gauge.  I had multiple electrical "issues" prior to the replacement.  (Knock on wood) the system with a replacement also of reconditioned Generator and belt has resulted in ZERO electrical issues.  It just works.  That Prestolite looks a tad..."weathered"....

By vintage aircraft standards this was "cheap"...

I heard back from three shops. Apparently, my alternator is VERY old and they no longer make parts for them. Sigh.

Looking at the PlanePower kits. I can buy JUST the alternator for $453, or for $519 it comes with some hardware, but still "NO BRACKET". I don't quite understand the difference, I;m about to call them. Anyone know if I'll also need to change the belt?

See if @Alan Fox still has the Interav kit for sale.  Great 50 amp alternator conversions, the alternator itself can still be worked on.  When the voltage regulator goes out, replace it with the PlanePower voltage regulator.  STCs cover everything I just described.

He's had no replies in 1 1/2 years.  Offer him $200.

5 hours ago, Andy95W said:

See if @Alan Fox still has the Interav kit for sale.  Great 50 amp alternator conversions, the alternator itself can still be worked on.  When the voltage regulator goes out, replace it with the PlanePower voltage regulator.  STCs cover everything I just described.

He's had no replies in 1 1/2 years.  Offer him $200.

That's funny....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raptor05121 said:

I have spoke to Alan on the subject. I'm thinking I might just buy once, cry once with the PlanePower unit and future-proof the plane

I heard they're quality and customer service went down after (I think) Hartzell bought them.  The Interav is a great old-school simple alternator.  The only thing ever wrong with them is the voltage regulator, and the PlanePower is an STCed replacement for the Interav.  And it works great for less money.

Good luck with your decision- both are good solutions.

Have you had your local Alternator shop look at it? They can test and probably repair it, too bad it's a certified aircraft. I went with the Plane Power conversion, can't remember the price but I got it from Chief Aircraft (had the best price at the time), only thing not in the box was the circuit breaker and toggle switch

One of the things that dies in alternators is their diodes... small electronic bits that are easy to test and replace... these are the things that help turn the AC current of the alternator into DC current for your electrical system.

Heat and age are tough on those parts.  Any reputable alternator shop can do the work quickly and inexpensively if that is what it is...

If you hear electric whining in your headset, that is a sign that one or more diodes has taken a vacation.

If you hear whining in your head, that's a sign you got a terrible bill! :)

Best regards,

-a-

Just now, Raptor05121 said:

I sucked it up and bought the PlanePower. My wallet is crying but maybe once and for all this will be the fix. I've always had alternator whine since I've got it so...fingers crossed

Hey Alex, its Visa calling. Why not just apply for some more credit cards to buy airplane parts? :rolleyes: Whats the worst that could happen?

Ask me how I know...

• 2 weeks later...

Well it was a pain in the rear, but we got it in. Instant gratification. 12.1v when I flipped the master on and as soon as the prop fired, up to 14.5v. I guess my old alternator has always been crap- even with the RG-35AXC battery, it could never get over the first blade without stopping. After a few hours of flying, it turns over the prop really quick so I guess my battery was never being "topped off" by the old Interav unit. Either way, I am loving it. Just need to finish cutting some baffling material into place

21765261_10155756214749640_3282658923839

21950683_10155757608979640_3619311483041

See you guys at the Summit!

• Like 7