Alex's M20D (continuous thread)

• 3 weeks later...

Updating the thread. Many of you are in my other thread, but a quick synopsis is I found an extreme drop in RPMs at runup with carb heat. My A&P told me to take off the scat tubing to help locate the problem, and it disappeared. Then pulled off the shroud and found a small hole.

Flipping through the logbooks, it seems this is a completely new exhaust from 2003, and in 2007, the muffler was sent in for overhaul. I haven't compared the times. But I think I'm just going to buy an overhauled unit and swap them out. My IFR training is on hold. I need to get my DME fixed as well as new tires.

In the meantime, my girlfriend and I are planning on a flight up to New England this August if her school schedule cooperates. See all the sights, big cities, and stay with a bunch of family strewn about. 

NE Flight.JPG

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

Updating the thread. Many of you are in my other thread, but a quick synopsis is I found an extreme drop in RPMs at runup with carb heat. My A&P told me to take off the scat tubing to help locate the problem, and it disappeared. Then pulled off the shroud and found a small hole.

Flipping through the logbooks, it seems this is a completely new exhaust from 2003, and in 2007, the muffler was sent in for overhaul. I haven't compared the times. But I think I'm just going to buy an overhauled unit and swap them out. My IFR training is on hold. I need to get my DME fixed as well as new tires.

In the meantime, my girlfriend and I are planning on a flight up to New England this August if her school schedule cooperates. See all the sights, big cities, and stay with a bunch of family strewn about. 

NE Flight.JPG

Alex,

Let us know if you want to meet up with any Philly area/NJ Mooniacs while you're up here! 

Fun NJ airports...

26N for a beach and an airport in jogging distance to each other.  A couple of hotels in town (Ocean City, NJ)

N14 for a hotel/restaurant/pool/airport in one...

47N for low cost self serve 100LL, restaurant next to the field...

N87 for an MSC...

39N for ordinary services, visit Princeton U.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

3 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

We will be going into KMJX, my aunt lives a mile down the road. A big part of this trip will be finding and securing rental cars

Awesome, I have my commercial check ride  at KMJX next Friday!

5 minutes ago, carusoam said:

26N for a beach and an airport in jogging distance to each other.  A couple of hotels in town (Ocean City, NJ)

1:25 into this video is a landing I did at 26N. As carusoam said, its right at the beach.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2017 at 8:51 AM, Yooper Rocketman said:

Alex,

Have you tried Dawley?  They are pretty reasonable.

http://www.dawleyaviation.com/?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=CK6Ryuqx6tMCFVC4wAodqqgMhg

Tom

Thanks Tom

They said starting at $1,200 for rebuild, and they are booked. Another Mooney guy has his muffler in there and they just called him telling him it'll be EIGHT more weeks.

6 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Thanks Tom

They said starting at $1,200 for rebuild, and they are booked. Another Mooney guy has his muffler in there and they just called him telling him it'll be EIGHT more weeks.

Did you check with Paul at Acorn Welding in Edmonton?  Your dollar goes 35% further in Canada.

Clarence

23 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Did you check with Paul at Acorn Welding in Edmonton?  Your dollar goes 35% further in Canada.

Clarence

+1 for Acorn, great customer service too. The last Muffler I bought for a Bo I work on I got from them, very easy to deal with and prices seem to be better than most aircraft exhaust places.

On 5/15/2017 at 0:24 PM, neonbjb said:

Hey Alex,

Just wondering if you got a chance to install those LED gear lamps and if you had any issues doing so? Thinking about "upgrading" mine too..

We actually found out Mooney made the sockets in reverse polarity to retain the "push-to-test" feature. So the sidewalls are positive with two rings to provide 12v (one with actuation and the other when depressed) and the ground is the center contact. So...short of rewiring them and losing the PTT feature, not worth it.

I've located a gentleman with a used LASAR cowl enclosure. I'm getting in contact with LASAR to see if I can buy just the STC. Still need new tires. We are close to ordering the muffler. I'm having flying withdrawals.

18622658_10155365158134640_6777334487007  18698222_10155365158234640_1074055524776

• 2 weeks later...