Alex's M20D (continuous thread)

5 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Part 2: Map lights

Even easier than what Hector and the other fellow did. I simply took some pliers to twist off the focusing ring and lens, pulled them out, then used a flathead to remove the red lens retaining ring and lens itself. Bend the tabs back on the 1156 socket, push it into place, and then reinstall the red lens and retaining clip. Simple, took me 30 seconds!

17361656_10155153198544640_5952091680945

17352571_10155153198664640_2640529356072

I like it and the red dome lamp. Just ordered them up myself and going to add to the never ending project list.

20 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Part 2: Map lights

Even easier than what Hector and the other fellow did. I simply took some pliers to twist off the focusing ring and lens, pulled them out, then used a flathead to remove the red lens retaining ring and lens itself. Bend the tabs back on the 1156 socket, push it into place, and then reinstall the red lens and retaining clip. Simple, took me 30 seconds!

17361656_10155153198544640_5952091680945

17352571_10155153198664640_2640529356072

Hey, where'd you get that LED lamp?

I'd like to install those in my overhead swivels!

Thank you. 

27 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

Hey, where'd you get that LED lamp?

I'd like to install those in my overhead swivels!

Thank you. 

Here is his post of what he bought. I dug it up yesterday and placed an order myself. You can ignore the midget lights, those ended up not fitting. just search the descriptions at https://www.superbrightleds.com/ and they will pull up. I think mine arrive sometime next week. 

• 1 month later...

Updating some things here:

I flew my first Young Eagles rally in the Mooney last weekend at Cross City. I am now past 100 hours, so oil change #2 was completed yesterday as well as spring cleaning the hangar.

17990218_10155244147564640_1397887501546

18010484_10155260210564640_1993064072102

18033095_10155261639879640_8755344190281

I haven't been current on here, but I have started my IFR training. I've flown dual twice so far. My first lesson was foggles and simulated instrument time, doing turns and climbs and descents. I am getting used to timed turns and we have "calibrated" the turn coordiantor so I know how my plane needs to be to get it turned at 3 deg/sec, but the problem I am having is that my MP gauge has a history of some sort of oil in it so its slow to respond, and is hampering my power changes for 500FPM climb/descent. I bought a new one off a member on here but I still need to schedule it with my A&P to get it swapped out. 

My instructor says he is very pleased with how I handle the plane and that it usually takes 3-4 lessons for his usual IFR students to master the turns so quick, I also did some steep turns under the hood and hot damn are they hard!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raptor05121 said:

I also did some steep turns under the hood and hot damn are they hard!

When I was finishing up my time under the hood for my PPL my CFI had me trying steep turns just because... I agree, they're hard without outside reference. 

4 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Updating some things here:

I flew my first Young Eagles rally in the Mooney last weekend at Cross City. I am now past 100 hours, so oil change #2 was completed yesterday as well as spring cleaning the hangar.

17990218_10155244147564640_1397887501546I haven't been current on here, but I have started my IFR training. I've flown dual twice so far. My first lesson was foggles and simulated instrument time, doing turns and climbs and descents. I am getting used to timed turns and we have "calibrated" the turn coordiantor so I know how my plane needs to be to get it turned at 3 deg/sec, but the problem I am having is that my MP gauge has a history of some sort of oil in it so its slow to respond, and is hampering my power changes for 500FPM climb/descent. I bought a new one off a member on here but I still need to schedule it with my A&P to get it swapped out. 

My instructor says he is very pleased with how I handle the plane and that it usually takes 3-4 lessons for his usual IFR students to master the turns so quick, I also did some steep turns under the hood and hot damn are they hard!

Do you have an Electrostatic Generator on your equipment list, or perhaps a wool shag wing walk?:P

• Like 1

Do you have an Electrostatic Generator on your equipment list, or perhaps a wool shag wing walk?

I wondered the same thing. But I came to the realization at least he has the hair to do that. I'm pretty close to shining the globe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Raptor05121 said:

Question guys:

I bought a sweeping-hand clock for my plane at SnF. $30. I fly quite often, so I am thinking about having it done up as a 24/7 powered to the battery. Any thoughts on this?

Do you not already have one in your yoke?

10 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

Do you not already have one in your yoke?

My C has a wind up, 8 day clock in the yoke. Winding and setting it is on my Startup checklist, as I use the settable, nonmoving red hands as tank switch reminders and for flight time to log. In the winter, when it's cold, I pump the throttle, and to let the cold fuel evaporate, I wind and set the clock, a forced delay that helps on those subfreezing morning cold starts.

Before changing to an always-on electric clock, what effect will it have on your battery while parked for days at a time? Know the current draw for the clock you choose, batteries are expensive.

Just now, Raptor05121 said:

I think everyone forgets what a D model is. :D

No PC. Basic panel. Basic instruments. No dorsal fin. No hat rack.

My yokes:

s-l300.jpg

Hmm... They must have added things as the years went on. My D is a 65 and it has a hat rack and at some point had a clock in the yoke, but now there is just a hole there (conveniently covered up by the mount for my tablet). I'm sure the instruments were basic but someone replaced/reconfigured them at some point in the last 52 years.

4 hours ago, Hank said:

My C has a wind up, 8 day clock in the yoke. Winding and setting it is on my Startup checklist, as I use the settable, nonmoving red hands as tank switch reminders and for flight time to log. In the winter, when it's cold, I pump the throttle, and to let the cold fuel evaporate, I wind and set the clock, a forced delay that helps on those subfreezing morning cold starts.

Before changing to an always-on electric clock, what effect will it have on your battery while parked for days at a time? Know the current draw for the clock you choose, batteries are expensive.

None from ships power. It has a AA battery to maintain time when the master is off.  The current draw just to keep time when not in use is 4Ma.

Alex,  

As you were going through your ordeal I was in intense "finish an 18 year build project" so had not read any of your thread.  I spent the last two evenings, resting tired bones from more work on our Spruce Creek home, reading your 20 pages of detail about getting your airplane airworthy.  I had no idea what you had been through before flying down here with Hector to Spruce Creek to visit my wife and me.  I was impressed with you, your quiet girl friend, and Hector when you visited, but have to say after reading this, Beth and I owe you and your friends a nice dinner the next time we meet!!!!!

You should be extremely proud of your plane and your accomplishments at your age!  The bar has been set though.   I'll start watching for one of these Spruce homes coming up for sale for you!

Tom

• Like 6