Alex's M20D (continuous thread)

So I flew up to Adel, GA today and back. Put three hours on it. So I've flown ~7 hours in 4 days. I'm sure once the "newness" wears off, it will dial back to 15-20 hours a month. 

15095702_10154756685229640_9569122200718

Great news is with all the 5 hours dual I did, my instructor signed off my BFR which wasn't due until next May, so I am re-upped for another two years. And I knocked the rust off my night currency to get that caught-up with. That PAR46 is BRIGHT! Tonight, she is sleeping in her own hangar for the first time in 11 months.

15085576_10154756685314640_7752550815138

(Edited to add:)

I guess since she is flying now, I can take off the "dodo Mooney" tag from under my screenname. Hmmmm....

• Like 6

Including the first mechanic, this one, and all work inbetween, I've spent about $10k in maintenance and parts alone. It seems like a lot, but considering EVERY panel has been opened, EVERY joint was either rebuilt or lubed to spec, EVERY electrical connection debugged, a thorough cleanout, and general TLC, it really transformed how sloppy this plane was when I first saw it.

I'm still QUITE a ways ahead for an airworthy Mooney, cost wise.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

Including the first mechanic, this one, and all work inbetween, I've spent about $10k in maintenance and parts alone. It seems like a lot, but considering EVERY panel has been opened, EVERY joint was either rebuilt or lubed to spec, EVERY electrical connection debugged, a thorough cleanout, and general TLC, it really transformed how sloppy this plane was when I first saw it.

Hahahahahah... That's AWESOME! I would have guessed $25K+. I don't know what others will say, but I think that's a hell of a deal.  And you've now got a great bird.

Well done! Now go enjoy it and FLY.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Ignoring the "numbers" and fly by looking out the window works fine for me. Both in the short body I used to fly and the mid-body I fly now. :ph34r:

Looking out the windows is indeed the way to fly. But for God's sake, set power using the MP and Tach, and lean using the EGT. The MAPA PPP does a good job of explaining this, I didn't try above. Guess I should have.

Good job, Raptor, on reviving a Mooney. Looks like you got yourself a good one. Take my word for it, you really can't fly the wings off it!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

Hahahahahah... That's AWESOME! I would have guessed $25K+. I don't know what others will say, but I think that's a hell of a deal.  And you've now got a great bird.

Well done! Now go enjoy it and FLY.

My guess was 15~20k. great job on keeping the cost down......I warned you earlier that short hops wind up as x-countries..lol

• Like 1

I woke up this morning and realized I had my own airplane at my disposal only miles away, with the freedom to go anywhere I please.

I took me a full minute to realize I wasn't dreaming.

I just wanted to say thanks for all that chimed in with helpful tips, ideas, and all-around good thoughts, and to the many people just reading and following along. I really do believe the Mooney community is the tightest model-base of any type airplane.

• Like 6

you know ive followed closely for a year,,,   now you are there,,,  i am proud and relieved.

44U looks beautiful!

Edited by mpg
  • Like 1

Well the paint has nothing to do with the annual, but the interior...that will be going bye bye. It's not original. It was done in the 80s if I remember the previous owner telling me correctly. I plan on getting the vinyl Airtex kit for the side panels in a dark ash color. I'll repair and repaint the plastic panels to a brighter white. The panel, I'd like an 8-hole, clean cut one piece to replace the 5 different pieces of aluminum comprising my current shotgun panel.

All in due time, however.

Considering you had a complete tank strip and reseal you did really well. I would have guessed higher than that with all the other stuff you had done. She looks awesome and you are going to enjoy her for years to come. Many here have been reading this thread from the moment you got her and it is great to see you persevere and see her through. Congratulations, well done sir!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yep, I'm one of those guys that have been watching this thread from the beginning and enjoying your journey.  Congratulations on getting it done and being able to wake up with that thought in the morning.  It's a great feeling!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hector said:

Considering you had a complete tank strip and reseal you did really well. I would have guessed higher than that with all the other stuff you had done. She looks awesome and you are going to enjoy her for years to come. Many here have been reading this thread from the moment you got her and it is great to see you persevere and see her through. Congratulations, well done sir!

Hector, let me know if you have any fly-out plans or anything like that. Maybe we can meet up at Ocala and get a three-wide Mooney picture sometime soon/

Hector, let me know if you have any fly-out plans or anything like that. Maybe we can meet up at Ocala and get a three-wide Mooney picture sometime soon/

You bet! Flew down to Miami this morning to see my mom and sister. Two easy hours in the Mooney vice 6 hours on I-95 if you're lucky. Definitely lets meet up in Ocala or Williston for lunch or breakfast.

8 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

It is the standard 2.5x1.5" GoPro sticky mount with 3M double-sided tape. They might leave some residue, but simply comes off with WD40.

They also come off easy with just a little heat from a hair dryer and then roll the residue off with your finger.