Alex's M20D (continuous thread)

Well rather than continue the abomination that is my last thread on purchasing or not (http://mooneyspace.com/topic/16028-thoughts-on-purchase-of-m20c/), I am starting a new thread. I was going to call this thread "Alex's D" or "Alex's New Master", but that's a little too much haha.

New bird, new home. And as a young pilot and owner, I'm going to have a lot of questions and I hope basically this can be a round table discussion for all to learn :)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Sept 4th, 2015. Brought my first bird home.

Well today was fun and a half. We arrived at my home airport at 9am, and by around 5pm, the plane was in the hangar. It took a lot of phone calls, e-mails, and texts to get everything lined up, but with the effort of about 7 people, we got the plane home. The previous owner was sad to see her go, but I think she's in good hands. I'm so excited I couldn't sleep so my friend and I went and washed her up. Here are some pictures of today's adventures:

20150903_151332_zpsei1ckgnc.jpg

I arrived before everyone else. I think my facial expression is enough to explain what I was feeling

20150903_155011_zpsccpba17z.jpg

The previous owner pushed her out for the last time. We loaded up with extra goodies (posters, parts, charts, etc) into the car and off we went.

20150903_164458_zpsshjgnaw0.jpg

Half of us arrived by my instructor's Cherokee. He took off about 4 minutes before us. It was not long before we caught up. I think we had a good 35mph on the Cherokee.

20150903_164513_zps0faubvdp.jpg

20150903_164541_zpszprvnb4j.jpg

• Like 5

My dad, who last flew in 2003 in my grandpa's old M20F, came by to see what was going on. He loves the plane and is now excited to renew his medical and get back into flying.

20150903_174307_zpsp20pmrgu.jpg

And after a late-night wash, she is tucked away in her new home.

20150903_230907_zpslknemmx3.jpg

20150903_230929_zpsklqhukbw.jpg

20150903_230953_zpsxcsvltve.jpg

20150903_231332_zpsk3ybpekg.jpg

Next step? Full annual to wipe out a list of small squawks. With mine and my IA's schedule, hopefully I can have my complex endorsement by the end of the month.

• Like 6

Alex

Good luck..nice looking bird..you'll have loads of fun , make sure you get pop back in the air, his experience and expertise is a valuable

Source many of us wish for

Your blessed. Dad looks happy and proud..and should be

• Like 2

I really like the paint on your new bird. It showcases the lines of the aircraft nicely. It looks vintage, but not dated. You'd pobably pick up 3 or 4 Ktas with a 2 blade, but your bird looks great with a 3 bladed prop!

It is quite nice. I wonder if I get a fuel discount when I fly into Tallahassee? Either way, it is the 3d paint scheme. Per the logbooks, it was painted in 1977 with a brown/orange. This current paint was applied in 2000. I think it looks fine, especially for the design, colors, and appearance, so I do not have any immediate plans to repaint her. The panel is my first train of thought right now.

As for the 2- or 3-blade, at first I thought I'd like the 2-blade because of the speed and reduced maintenance, but the ground roll and climb performance, along with the low sound makes this a winner. Of course I am biased :)

It is quite nice. I wonder if I get a fuel discount when I fly into Tallahassee? Either way, it is the 3d paint scheme. Per the logbooks, it was painted in 1977 with a brown/orange. This current paint was applied in 2000. I think it looks fine, especially for the design, colors, and appearance, so I do not have any immediate plans to repaint her. The panel is my first train of thought right now.

As for the 2- or 3-blade, at first I thought I'd like the 2-blade because of the speed and reduced maintenance, but the ground roll and climb performance, along with the low sound makes this a winner. Of course I am biased :)

One of the better paint schemes I have seen on a vintage round window bird. I REALLY like the scheme. I think that is what Ross was saying. Don't change it. Looks fast sitting still :)

Welcome from another 3-blade C owner. Takeoff is great, and it also makes a serviceable speed brake on occasion. I figure my speed loss is offset by the 201 windshield.

Make sure your gear retracts fully and the doors are flush.

For checklists, I fired up Word and typed from the Owners Manual then Rearranged to suit me, and the many upgrades over the years. There is a printing format for a booklet (use Help), then just stack the pages, fold and staple. Fly with it for a while, mark things to change oradd, and reprint until you like it. Then laminate the pages.

It might take a while

But anyway, more progress. I pulled out probably 10 pounds of crap from the previous owner. Trash in the seat pockets, old charts, I removed the tie-down rings, and the old Garmin 195 that was blocking half the panel. The intercom is a portable 2-place which is no use for me since I will mostly fly with filled seats, so that came out. A gentleman on the Mooney Pilots page on Facebook was selling a new PA-400ST 4-place intercom for $100, so I grabbed that. Ultimately, I plan to have a panel mounted intercom, but I just need something so the girls can listen for now.

I noticed the manifold pressure gauge was erratic and not displaying properly. And on the way in, the radios were going in/out. So that's another thing for annual. I'm going to talk to my IA tomorrow and see when we can pencil her in. I'd like to get it done ASAP but it'll probably be at least another 2 weeks before we get her in there, we'll see.

As always there will be some things need attention I hope your first annual goes much better than mine. I have a pdf check list at work I can send but won't be able to until next week it one that I found on line but seems very complete. I showed it to my CFI and he said it looked good so I printed and laminated all the pages.  Good luck on the annual don't get discouraged if they find some things need fixing you will get them done then have a great airplane

• Like 1

Number one looks like a kx170 and number two looks like a Michel mx170. I replaced my number two kx170b with a Michel mx170c which is a slide in replacement. There is a crotchety old man online who fixes the 170 but I just replaced mine with a brand new Michel unit for 1850. Slide in replacement. My old 170 had issues tuning the com1. If you want to try it out you can. It will slide in. I'll bring it when I come see that Mooney and if it fits I'll give it to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice hangar I wish I had one that good for my 3 blade D/C. I replaced a COMM 11 with a Michel and have never had any problems with it in 10 years. It has good range and sounds good. No issue. Your MP gauge may only be loose or worn hose connections to the engine. If you have a 1/8 inch aluminum line inside the cowl check each flared fitting by taking it apart and looking at the flared portion of the aluminum. I've found those worn away and leaking in other airplanes.  

Good Gawd, that hangar is cleaner than my arteries.

Congrats on the new Mooney!

My son-in-law told my daughter that my airplane has done wonders for my health. I lost weight, got off BP meds, running, exercising--get your dad healthy and remember, every 6.02 pounds lost is an extra gallon of Avgas :P

• Like 8

Number one looks like a kx170 and number two looks like a Michel mx170. I replaced my number two kx170b with a Michel mx170c which is a slide in replacement. There is a crotchety old man online who fixes the 170 but I just replaced mine with a brand new Michel unit for 1850. Slide in replacement. My old 170 had issues tuning the com1. If you want to try it out you can. It will slide in. I'll bring it when I come see that Mooney and if it fits I'll give it to you.

Yes thank you. I'm not a fan of the KX170 but its a radio, so I cannot complain. Of course I'm dreaming of putting a GNS430W in its place, but that's 4-5 years away. And yeah I would be interested. I'm not sure if its the antenna or these units or operator error (me), but the Cherokee flying behind me couldn't hear any of my callouts. Will dig deeper into it.

Nice hangar I wish I had one that good for my 3 blade D/C. I replaced a COMM 11 with a Michel and have never had any problems with it in 10 years. It has good range and sounds good. No issue. Your MP gauge may only be loose or worn hose connections to the engine. If you have a 1/8 inch aluminum line inside the cowl check each flared fitting by taking it apart and looking at the flared portion of the aluminum. I've found those worn away and leaking in other airplanes.  

Thanks. I just noticed a line that mimcs the primer line on my old Cherokee turns out to be the mani press gauge. I'll have my A&P double check with me, but I'm sure we will pull and check that line. Even if it is the gauge, the MP/FP gauge is only $140 online.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back on topic- I'm looking at the TCDS for the M20D, and it calls for an FAA-approved flight manual, dated Oct 15, 1962  for S/N 101-200 or supplement dated May 14, 1963
, to be carried in the aircraft.

The previous owner flew with a POH for a 1967 M20C, and I've got a copy of the 1966 M20D S/N 200+, but mine is S/N 170. Does anyone have this manual for the earlier Ds?

Edited by Raptor05121