Stratux, Low cost ADS-B in

22 others

RY835AI 10Hz USB GPS Glonass BeiDou antenna module pressure Compass Gyro sensors

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181566850426?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Lots of reports of the USB connector breaking on that unit. If you are planning to attach one to a Stratux it might be worth using a USB extension cable to reduce the strain on the connector. 

Lots of reports of the USB connector breaking on that unit. If you are planning to attach one to a Stratux it might be worth using a USB extension cable to reduce the strain on the connector. 

Agree. I've even used an extension cable for the ADS-B unit so I can secure it to the side of the package instead of sticking out from it. Not only reduces strain on the connector but make the entire unit more compact.

I have a challenge with our Stratux.  While Foreflight connects with no issue, my FlyQ (which connects to many more commercial ADS-B in units than Foreflight) does not connect.  I'm told that I need to change the SSID to "Stratus12345" (or something like that), but not sure how this is done.  Is this done in the Stratux code? 

I have a challenge with our Stratux.  While Foreflight connects with no issue, my FlyQ (which connects to many more commercial ADS-B in units than Foreflight) does not connect.  I'm told that I need to change the SSID to "Stratus12345" (or something like that), but not sure how this is done.  Is this done in the Stratux code? 

try flight plan go for starters to make sure it is working. It is a free app that's pretty darn good.

SSID is on your mobile device when you connect to the wireless network that is created by the Raspberry PI.   Port 4000     There may be a network to connect to in FlyQ.  I would suggest "Stratux" as the SSID

It's been documented on the Stratux Reddit page that FlyQ looks for an SSID of "StratusXXXXX".  The default SSID of "Stratux" doesn't get identified by the software as an ADS-B device. 

Reddit and documentation don't really go together.  You have to go through lots of dribble to find the gems of information.

That is definitely true!  Which is probably why the question was posted here. There are lots of statements there about changing the SSID but nobody has bothered to share details. The SSID is specified in the uncompiled build but I haven't had a chance to look for a config file in the image. 

I see two ways to fix it.

1. Change "Stratus" to "Stratus12345" in the file:  hostapd.conf 

or

2. Wait. Adding a web interface to specify the SSID is on their to-do list for a future releases.

Good luck.

That is definitely true!  Which is probably why the question was posted here. There are lots of statements there about changing the SSID but nobody has bothered to share details. The SSID is specified in the uncompiled build but I haven't had a chance to look for a config file in the image. 

Actual, that's not true.  I've attached info I was able to find on how to make the change.  Just that I'm not sure I can actually do this correctly.....

stratux.doc

Actual, that's not true.  I've attached info I was able to find on how to make the change.  Just that I'm not sure I can actually do this correctly.....

stratux.doc

Yep, there it is buried in the comments of one of the original posts in r/flying.  If you limit your search to the r/stratux subreddit you won't find it.  Which is really what I think Yetti and I were saying.  There's a lot of noise on Reddit and you have to dig for useful info.

I was really just looking for the config information since you had asked but I didn't get a chance to look at the config files on my stratux card.  It looks like you have what you need now.  I hope you are able to get it working with FlyQ.  Let us know if it works.

I put one of these together last night to use on my US trips.  Great reception even at circuit altitude at Kitchener.

Managed to get three towers at 1000' agl about 80 NM away across Lake Ontario.

The price in Canada for a Stratus would be about $1400 Cdn (maybe more if duty has to be paid)..... $109 including tax is what the Stratux parts were here.

• Like 1

I was really just looking for the config information since you had asked but I didn't get a chance to look at the config files on my stratux card.  It looks like you have what you need now.  I hope you are able to get it working with FlyQ.  Let us know if it works.

Went flying today as safety pilot while my partner did 3 approaches in mostly actual IFR.  To my surprise the Stratux was working in FlyQ with the stratux SSID and no program change.  In the 1 hour flight, at 500'-3000' AGL, I was receiving 3-4 ADS-B ground stations.  Here's some initial observations:

[1] radar depiction is nice on the iPad's big screen, but different from the GNS430's XM.  I plan to fly behind the Stratux for many months before I even consider dropping XM service, if I ever do.

[2] I really like the METAR depiction, and I think it will be much easier getting this info off the iPad than from the GNS-430/XM interface

[3] I have no traffic info on my panel.  Even though the ADS-B in traffic isn't perfect, I welcome this additional info.

[4] This was a short flight, but it seems my iPad was putting out more heat than normal.  I already use a bluetooth BadElf, and suspect that the additional power to maintain WiFi will be a significant drawn on my iPad's battery (but probably no more than if I was using a Stratus at 10x or more the price).

[5] The BadElf connection, which has always been rock-solid, seemed not as reliable.  FlyQ lost GPS from BadElf a few times, which I presume is related to the Stratux connection.  If I later modify the Stratux for GPS this should become a non-issue.

I'll have much more time behind the Stratux when I fly down to Panama City this Thursday.  

Edited by neilpilot
  • Like 1

Went flying today as safety pilot while my partner did 3 approaches in mostly actual IFR.  To my surprise the Stratux was working in FlyQ with the stratux SSID and no program change.  In the 1 hour flight, at 500'-3000' AGL, I was receiving 3-4 ADS-B ground stations.  Here's some initial observations:

[1] radar depiction is nice on the iPad's big screen, but different from the GNS430's XM.  I plan to fly behind the Stratux for many months before I even consider dropping XM service, if I ever do.

[2] I really like the METAR depiction, and I think it will be much easier getting this info off the iPad than from the GNS-430/XM interface

[3] I have no traffic info on my panel.  Even though the ADS-B in traffic isn't perfect, I welcome this additional info.

[4] This was a short flight, but it seems my iPad was putting out more heat than normal.  I already use a bluetooth BadElf, and suspect that the additional power to maintain WiFi will be a significant drawn on my iPad's battery (but probably no more than if I was using a Stratus at 10x or more the price).

[5] The BadElf connection, which has always been rock-solid, seemed not as reliable.  FlyQ lost GPS from BadElf a few times, which I presume is related to the Stratux connection.  If I later modify the Strtux for GPS this should become a non-issue.

I'll have much more time behind the Stratux when I fly down to Panama City this Thursday.  

The latest release of FlyQ is compatible with the Stratux SSID. 

• Like 2

I finally remembered to bring everything and hook everything up.   Worked pretty well.  I was in central texas picking up targets around Hobby and the Austin corridor.   Both the phone with droidEFB running and the tablet with Avare were picking up targets.  I was getting my ghost signal even though I was mode c.  It was interesting that my signal was showing direction of flight bar so there must be some ground calculations that suggest where a mode C is going.

Here's my experience from yesterday evening's flight. I was a passenger on a flight in a friend's airplane. He has a glass panel with XM and satellite, so good basis for comparison. I had the RY835AI GPS/AHRS add-on but it was connected by USB so GPS only. Use of GPS was part of my test since I have a WiFi-only iPad. iOS 9.0.1. Flight was about an hour or so each way. RPi was running the current beta 4 release. Plenty of weather around to see,

Outbound, I used WingX. Absolutely rock solid. Connected immediately and stayed connected from startup to shut down. Weather and traffic depiction virtually identical to my friend's panel display. Some slight variation on number of towers being received based on antenna position but that's about it.

Return. I used ForeFlight. Not quite the same. Took a few minutes for FF to recognize a device being there and, with the GPS/AHRS add-on, ultimately identified two devices one for the ADS-B and one for the GPS. Periodically lost connectivity. Display of weather and traffic was not as good as it was in WingX and not as consistently in alignment with my friend's panel equipment. I briefly fired up WingX also just to see, and it was as rock solid as before.

Also, weirdly, FF reported the presence of AHRS and a switch to the synthetic vision page shows attitude reference coming on and switching off, when it shouldn't be there to begin with.

Finally, the GPS capability crapped out about halfway home although ADS-B continues to function. I suspect I managed to overheat the chip on the RY835AI.

Probably user error on the GPS chip but definite anomalies with ForeFlight as opposed to WingX. Leaves me wondering whether the developers haven't quite overcome FF's design to avoid playing well with non-Stratus units. But that's just a working hypothesis.

150928%20StratuxWingX.png

• Like 1

Great detailed user report, MLF.

Expect that WingX has done a fantastic job of working with all platforms.  At least that has been their mantra for the last few years...

any idea what the yellow circles around the other planes means?  Or is that an aid to see them on the busy screen?

best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam