Stratux, Low cost ADS-B in

22 others

I started another post on this last month, but some of my fellow cheap B's might have missed it.

You can have a stratus-like ADS-B in receiver for about 0.1 amu's thanks to a few talented programmers who went out of their way. I'm always appreciative of any way to make this hobby a little safer without spending a lot of cash.

The EAA just did a nice write-up on how you can make your own.

Since it's an ongoing project, there is a forum with updates and comments at https://www.reddit.com/r/stratux/

I just used mine this weekend to avoid a few thunderstorms.

post-12077-0-31963200-1441302640_thumb.p

• Like 1

Carl,

As long as you don't depend on it as a safety of flight item, you'll be good.

If $200 in wasted parts is OK with you, you'll be good.

There is a lot of upside, and very little downside, from what I see here.

It won't be replacing any panel mounted hardware.

If you aren't affording the full price of a portable unit, this is a good alternative.

Check the price of used portables. gsengle reported he is selling a skyradar earlier today for $100. He just mounted another touchscreen device in his IP....

It looks like a fun project to say "I'm not a technical moron anymore!" With...

Best regards,

-a-

I know there are lot of guys who are excited about the AHRS/GPS addition.  I think they've got the GPS part working, AHRS is taking a little longer.  But I'm a little ambivalent about that because I don't use Foreflight and my Ipad is a cellular model with GPS already built in.

Dual band traffic + weather is the sweet spot for me...

Fixed by downloading a different piece of software to load the SD card - new app worked first time. Guess the PiFiller app had a conflict with something running in the background, even on a fresh reboot.

for the record...

So for all you pros - can't get my wife's Macbook to load that pi filler app - just keeps "quitting unexpectedly" on me when I go to run it. OS x 10.7.5

any successful Mac users on here?

thanks,

Moron

Edited by Johnnybgoode
added solution to question presented

My Mooney partner just reported excellent reception using the "stock" Stratus with the latest download on a flight from KAWM to KHOT.  Don't think we will give up XM on our GNS430, but after we get some time behind ADS-B weather on the iPad we may reconsider.  Any idea if there will eventually be a way to add GPS to the Stratux package, or does that already exist?