JPI EZ Trends does not work on 64 bit PCs!!!

M20S Driver

64 bit machines have an option to run programs as 32 bits

It is not a simple option.  You need to run a shell program, re-configure another XP or windows 7 environment, and modify the win.ini.

Do you know of a better way of running 32 bit on a 64 bit computer?

Load your data into saavy's free web-based program. Works great and had better interface IMO. Visit https://www.savvyanalysis.com

One would still need to get the JPI program running for downloading the data? I had a hell of a time trying to make this work on a non-Windows machine without a serial port. Finally, I found an older laptop running Windows XP and a serial port.

Does anyone know how to download data from JPI units with a newer computer running in 64 bit mode?  JPI told me to buy an older computer that runs on 32bit!!!!

JPI does not seem to have a plan to move into the new millennium :)

I have a Dell D800 laptop with a serial port that works and will do what you need without any problems. Comes with carrying case, AC power supply and the internal battery ------ $100

PM me if you are interested in it.

One would still need to get the JPI program running for downloading the data? I had a hell of a time trying to make this work on a non-Windows machine without a serial port. Finally, I found an older laptop running Windows XP and a serial port.

On my JPI (an EDM830) you just plug a USB stick into the display and dump the data into memory with no program or PC necessary. Then stick the USB stick into your 64-bit PC and upload to Savvy. Easy peasy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On my JPI (an EDM830) you just plug a USB stick into the display and dump the data into memory with no program or PC necessary. Then stick the USB stick into your 64-bit PC and upload to Savvy. Easy peasy.

I like the Savvy interface and that's what I use to look at the data.  As Wishboneash mentioned, I still need to down-load and my JPI700 only has an old serial port on it.  This is perhaps JPI's way of forcing us to upgrade to the USB version....

I just installed a virtual PC with windows XP on my 64 bit computer which is running Windows 7.  I will test it tomorrow to see if I can download the data.

They have serial to USB cables if your PC doesn't have a serial port.

The issue is not likely 64-bit, it's the serial interface. I'm on my second 64-bit laptop retrieving data from my EDM-700, and I just plug in the JPI-provided cable to the provided EDM-700 port, then plug the serial-port end of that cable into a Keyspan by Tripp Lite USA-19HS USB-to-serial adapter, then plug the USB end into my laptop, and it all works great. (I tried a couple of other adapters, and for reasons beyond my willingness to figure out, they didn't work, but this one did.) You can find one of these adapters on Amazon or probably lots of other places. They cost $32 or so. Not CB-conforming, but it works. Good luck!

• Like 1

I have EZtrends operational on my Windows 10 64 bit system - just had to setup the compatibility options to do so. The newer the version of Windows the easier it is it seems they make setting the compatibility options.

But as mentioned, except for the LeanFind function in EzTrends which I really liked, I otherwise find the Savvy Analysis app on the web superior - but I use it daily and have become pretty adept at using it. It allows me to view multiple graphs at a time and the Gami spread button is nearly as good at Eztrends LeanFind function and it provides additional niceties such as the Delta function and Rate function. And perhaps the best feature of all is you can share your data with anyone plus you get a professional help with analysis as many people do. There are lots of Mooney pro subscribers!

• Like 1

The issue is not likely 64-bit, it's the serial interface. I'm on my second 64-bit laptop retrieving data from my EDM-700, and I just plug in the JPI-provided cable to the provided EDM-700 port, then plug the serial-port end of that cable into a Keyspan by Tripp Lite USA-19HS USB-to-serial adapter, then plug the USB end into my laptop, and it all works great. (I tried a couple of other adapters, and for reasons beyond my willingness to figure out, they didn't work, but this one did.) You can find one of these adapters on Amazon or probably lots of other places. They cost $32 or so. Not CB-conforming, but it works. Good luck!

You are correct.  The problem was caused by the Keyspan driver on my new laptop.  A combination of updated driver and running the laptop in windows XP compatability mode solved my problem for both EZ Trends and EZ Save.

• Like 1

I have EZtrends operational on my Windows 10 64 bit system - just had to setup the compatibility options to do so. The newer the version of Windows the easier it is it seems they make setting the compatibility options.

But as mentioned, except for the LeanFind function in EzTrends which I really liked, I otherwise find the Savvy Analysis app on the web superior - but I use it daily and have become pretty adept at using it. It allows me to view multiple graphs at a time and the Gami spread button is nearly as good at Eztrends LeanFind function and it provides additional niceties such as the Delta function and Rate function. And perhaps the best feature of all is you can share your data with anyone plus you get a professional help with analysis as many people do. There are lots of Mooney pro subscribers!

Thanks for the info.  The compatibility mode and updated driver for my serial converter solved the problem.   

Thanks for the info.  The compatibility mode and updated driver for my serial converter solved the problem.   

You should still check out Savvy. EZtrends has a sucky interface and I don't believe it does any more than Savvy.

Also, the reason Mike Busch made it free is that he uses the data everyone uploads to look at engine behavior trends (nothing is truly free) and it is a massive database.

• Like 1

They have serial to USB cables if your PC doesn't have a serial port.

Forgot to mention, I do have the USB cable which I tried to use with a Mac running Parallels but couldn't get the COM ports set up properly. Gave that up! That was the hell of time I had been having.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I like some features of Savvy but I don't think it allows loading multiple flights like EZTrends does. It is often useful to have 2 or more flights graphed side by side to see changes. (It is possible Savvy does that as well, I've looked around as little and have not found it.)