Comparing airplanes

• 2 weeks later...

NIL :  After lusting after an Ovation ever since they came out ...  I bought a Lancair Columbia 300 :D

Has the same engine & prop as a Ovation III & Screaming Eagle (IO-550 @ 310hp + Hartzell Scimitar " blade) ,  has almost IDENTICAL performance , ie. fast cruise @ 190K or eco LOP @ 165K - 175K tas .

More range with over 100 gallons on-board.

Has bigger - roomier cabin with TWO doors and large baggage door.

Far less maintenance.  I'm an A&P/IA and look after 3 Ovations & 1 Screaming Eagle, so I am "qualified" to make such a statement :)  .

Cost -30% LESS than comparable model year, TIS and equipmented  Ovation.

I'm loving it and have NO REGRETS over an Ovation !  :P

• 2 weeks later...

Here's are the steps to buy the perfect airplane for you and your family...

• Determine your mission.
  • Do your due diligence.
  • Test fly as many different models as you possible can.
  • Establish your budget. 
  • Then after you've done all of the above, buy the one your wife likes best.   :P

This is what I did.  It was between a F model or Beech Debonair.  I ended up with a very nice looking Debonair with old avionics and no auto-pilot.  But the wife really liked the color.  It would have been much cheaper to buy a plane equipped better and have the plane painted.   But I of coarse bought he one the wife liked best and all is good.  I had a wing leveler installed and I have a accutrak sitting in a box.  And I have been lusting after a IFR GPS.

• 2 weeks later...

NIL :  After lusting after an Ovation ever since they came out ...  I bought a Lancair Columbia 300 :D

Has the same engine & prop as a Ovation III & Screaming Eagle (IO-550 @ 310hp + Hartzell Scimitar " blade) ,  has almost IDENTICAL performance , ie. fast cruise @ 190K or eco LOP @ 165K - 175K tas .

More range with over 100 gallons on-board.

Has bigger - roomier cabin with TWO doors and large baggage door.

Far less maintenance.  I'm an A&P/IA and look after 3 Ovations & 1 Screaming Eagle, so I am "qualified" to make such a statement :)  .

Cost -30% LESS than comparable model year, TIS and equipmented  Ovation.

I'm loving it and have NO REGRETS over an Ovation !  :P

wrong forum....you need to go here :)

http://www.lancairtalk.net/viewforum.php?f=1

• Like 3

You might consider a P46T:

For the price of a new Aclaim you can get into a good used Meridian or JetProp.

Lots more cabin space, pressurized, FIKI, climbs well, and it really is turbine smooth. 

Be prepared to pay the Piper to fly in the FL.   

• 2 weeks later...