"The Al Mooney Story" Book recommendation

Andy95W

i just finished reading The Al Mooney Story, by Gordon Baxter (an M20C owner himself). Bought it at the MAPA tent while we were at Oshkosh. What a great book! Fast, good read about the guy that designed our airplane.

As it turns out, Al was a self-taught aerodynamic engineer who never went to college. At just barely 23, when most people are just finishing college and trying to figure out what to do with their lives, Al had already designed 4 airplanes and was starting the first Mooney Aircraft Company in 1929.

After designing and getting the Type Certificate done for the M-20 in 1955 (yup, it's the same T.C. for all of our airplanes, M20A through M20TN) he went to Lockheed to continue to design airplanes in Marietta, GA. Kelly Johnson was running the "Skunk Works", so as a tongue-in-cheek jab at them, Al ran the "Possum Works" for Lockheed.

Some of my favorite bits from the book:

-Gordon Baxter asked why he put the tail on backwards. "I didn't put the tail on backwards," said Al. "All the others did." He then went on to explain why the tail is the way it is. Damn good reason, as it turns out.

-Baxter asked what it was like to start with a clean sheet of paper and draw the lines of an airplane as classic and everlasting as his M-20. Al looked away for a moment, his face composed in thought. Art [Al's older brother and work companion] interrupted, "Ah, he never sat down at no table with a clean sheet of paper to do that. What he sat down with was a fifth of Johnny Walker Red."

And my favorite is Al talking about what it was like as a young 22 year old dating in the late 1920's: "there was an unspoken understanding among us young blades that there were two kinds of gals-- those who would and those who might."

• Like 1

I can second Andy's recommendation on the book.  It is a great read especially for any Mooney fan.  And by the way, I am the current owner of Gordon Baxter's M20C.  The old girl is still flying well.

Mark

• Like 2

I can second Andy's recommendation on the book.  It is a great read especially for any Mooney fan.  And by the way, I am the current owner of Gordon Baxter's M20C.  The old girl is still flying well.

Mark

Very cool! Gordon was a really class act.

I have read the book a few times. Incredible story and information. The hard part for me to read was the last years of Al's life. I wish he was still around so I could show him some serious appreciation.

• Like 2

Thanks Andy for these hints about his book. I did not know he worked for Lockheed. Are there any details on which Lockheed aircraft he worked on? I am a fan of the Skunk works.

Regards,

Yves

Al worked on variants of the C-130, the Hummingbird VTOL fighter and the LASA high wing single that was produced in South America.

Oh yeah! I forgot about Al Mooney signing the instrument panel for Bax! Mark?

I am sorry to report that the autograph is no longer there.  I read the part where Gordon said that Al had signed the flashing near the instrument panel, but I cannot find any evidence of that.  I'm not sure where exactly this would place the signature.  The panel itself was re-configured many years ago to a standard six pack.  I have noticed that the flashing on the co-pilot's side appears to have been replaced at some point.  Perhaps someone kept a souvenir along the way sometime.