loss of fuel pressure

tpapilot

Travers day in Saratoga, so me and my wife decided to go to Marthas Vinyard for the day, After an uneventful run-up we lined up and took off, on climb out the fuel pressure started to bounce between 5psi and 15psi (I think I said something like we got a problem,,  not the most comforting thing I've said )   the engine wasn't bobbling or running rough and I turned back, we had the mechanic look at the plane and it was bouncing while running but steady when just  the electric fuel pump running. Just had them change out the EGT and 2 week prior the oil pressure sending unit, those items worked fine, could this be a ground issue?  

She's on the ramp till they build some additional hangers so I hope not to chase gremlins till then...  

A long time ago I replaced the mechanical pump in my F (same motor) for the same reason. Not saying this is your issue, but it was mine, and sounds like yours. Of course, chase the cheap stuff first, like the gauge accuracy. The fuel pump isn't that expensive, just a B$tch to change.

In the J the engine gauge cluster has a common power wire and each gauge grounds through its sensor. If only the engine gauges are fluctuating it could be an engine ground problem. Have you checked the engine ground strap? If the fuel gauges are also reading wrong then it could be a grounding problem back at the battery.

A long time ago I replaced the mechanical pump in my F (same motor) for the same reason. Not saying this is your issue, but it was mine, and sounds like yours. Of course, chase the cheap stuff first, like the gauge accuracy. The fuel pump isn't that expensive, just a B$tch to change.

I had the same issue. Replacing the mechanical fuel pump fixed it.