Mooney Maintenance

Flynnupe94

Hello fellow Mooney Aviators, My annual is coming due in the next couple of months. Im in the process of checking with fellow pilots concerning good mechnics in the N.TX area. Anyone had any experience with Dugosh? Southwest Texas Aviation? or another good qualified mechanic that can do an annual on my Ovation.....Thanks

Don Maxwell in Longview is highly regarded.

Dugosh used to be but changed hands since I have had any experience with them.

SWTA is good as well.

I take my K to Maxwell. He is well know as an engine expert and I'm close to TBO so I value his opinion.

The best mechanic is one that shares your same level of attention to detail and reasonableness on airworthy issues.

A year ago, my Dukes fuel pump started leaking.  I called three MSCs.

Two recommended a company in Tulsa and one, Maxwell, said they would call me back.  After waiting a few days, I sent the pump to Tulsa.  A week later I got the pump, $1100 + S&H. 

I discovered that the pump had been overhauled by Aeromotors in Wisconsin.  I called them and found out their standard charge is $400.

Then Don Maxwell called.  Without me saying anything, he recommended Aeromotors.

Spent some time on the Glasair board.  Most of them build their planes, so they are sensitive to component costs.  One of their best threads is where to get stuff. 

I suspect most Mooney pilots would rather leave maintenance to the experts, but can’t help but wonder if the CBs would like to know the best places to buy stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

That's an easy one - Don Maxwell at KGGG.

Don did my pre-buy inspection, addressed all the squawks found, did some fuel tank repairs, and every annual since I purchased the plane. 

For me, it's a 127nm trip and a very easy choice.