STEC 60-2 with Garmin 430W

bgpilot1

Would anyone happen to have any basic guidelines or procedures to operating an Stec 60-2 autopilot with a Garmin 430W?  You would think that Stec would update their manual to add these procedures since they have procedures for VOR, HSI, etc but this was the response I received from them.

Sorry Barry, but there are just too many navigation systems available for us to try and address each and every one with relation to AP operation.

Attached is basic POH for 60-2.

Thank you for using Cobham/S-Tec products.

Unfortunetly, they seemed to have cornered the market for certified aircraft auto-pilots.  I'd love to avoid them, but noone has a comparable A/P to compete with the S-TEC 30 on the market that I've seen.  The Centruy 2000 A/P's are an option, but cost more.  I think this is what drives some of the poor CS since the buy out by Cobham.  They know they've got you and don't care.

Brian

Well, yes, it's a crappy reply, but unless you have GPSS installed, it works just like a VOR.  Set it to whatever mode tracks the VOR, and it'll track the CDI.  Set your 430W to drive the CDI with the GPS instead of the VOR, and your autopilot will follow the GPS course.

I have a 430/GPSS Interface/Stec 60-2

Agree that with 430 on GPS and the GPSS interface set on GPSS all segments of the approach can be flown with the 60-2 set on NAV.  Unfortunately, this doesn't seem very practical as I fly in moderately busy airspace and it is usual to be radar vectored or cleared direct to a fix that would require resetting the 430. I still end up using the headiing on the autopilot until established on the localizer or LPV at which point I press NAV.  I am in ALT hold mode when gear down then flaps down 1-2 miles before the FAF.  At glideslope intercept I push ALT again to engage glideslope tracking without any abrupt changes.  It would be nice to have guidance from the factory, but this is what I worked out in VMC and it has worked for me.