Trying Exxon Elite from 15W-50 in IO550

rogerl

Anyone using Phillips victory W100 oil? The Phillips rep at Oshkosh said it was blended with the correct amount of Lycoming camshaft additive, which he says Aeroshell W100 plus is not.

Clarence

Based at KABQ.  Air filter is clean.  Agree numbers look good, it's the relative that I'm focused on.  According to literature, AS 15W-50 formulation of the anti-corrosion phosphorus-containing compound may be more prone to breakdown than the one in Exxon Elite into acids that will erode silicone gaskets, producing higher silicon numbers.  Not being one to readily believe everything, I did a bit of research on silicone materials, and they are somewhat susceptible to attack by acids.

I have read the same thing. I don't believe that is the silica to be concerned about since it is leached out of the superficial layer of the gasket material. It should only give elevated levels for a few oil changes then stabilize, somewhat of a false positive.

I use AreoShell W100 and don't like the synthetic blends. Since I fly so often the corrosion prevention isn't as big of concern as lubrication qualities, I also change it often. This winter I plan on using a multi grade oil and if corrosion prevention was a concern Exxon Elite would be my first pick and I might still use it.

Anyone see the AeroShell cold flow demo at Oshkosh this past year? I thought the 15w50 demo vs the Phillips was impressive.

It's not really relative in warm climets but it got my attention.

I know several of the turbo Reno guys use Exxon so I don't think switching from 15w50 is a bad choice.

-Matt

• 3 years later...
On 8/19/2015 at 12:40 PM, rogerl said:

Have been a happy 15w-50 AS user for 5 years of 'J' ownership.  Started in with it on the 'O'/io550/'200 hour fact reman' (prev owner used AS 100 or plus) ... seeing a spike in the silicon and others according to ALS Tribology analysis (see below); am trying Exxon Elite.  Operating under assumption that web resources stating that the anti-corrosion inhibitor in the 15-50 is breaking down into a little too high on the acids.  Elite is a pricey oil from most places, but found similar to what I was paying for a case of 15-50 locally; get eaten up a little by shipping, but still much cheaper than locally sourced Elite (quoted 11.15/qt by the case).  In about 6 months will update with a new graph/data point.

post-7111-0-47832100-1440002343_thumb.jp

post-7111-0-39290000-1440002406_thumb.jp

Roger, thanks for providing the graphs.  I know there are tons of opinions on oil, so I won’t go down that road.  I will say that I’ve used Exxon Elite on several engines including two IO550 engines, and all have had clear oil analyses and not a speck of rust or corrosion.  Obviously other factors come into play, but I don’t mind spending the small amount of extra money on it.  Excellent stuff.

Steve