M20J Specific, Detailed Lubrication Info

d0tnet

Hi,

After reading through the "Let's Talk Lubrication" and various additional threads related to lubrication, I am seeking additional insight.

From the above as well as reviewing the maintenance manual, I have obtained a good understanding of what products on the market tie out to the MM lubrication schedule and generally speaking what needs to be lubricated. Several boxes from Spruce later, I was optimistic that I would have the best darn lubed bird.

That was three months ago I received the boxes from Spruce.

In short, I am seeking a detailed description/step by step DIY guide on how to lubricate the various critical areas on the plane. Assume I know nothing, and if not obvious am a bit anal retentive .

I would like to do everything at once to establish a known baseline from which to manage going forward. I had an annual/100 hour about 85 hours ago in late April. Due to frequency of flying I'd like to be more proactive on lubrication and owner manage some of the 100 hour inspection items.

Main Areas of interest :

a. Control surfaces including flaps

b. Gear zerk fittings

c. Gear other

d. Throttle, prop, mixture controls

e. Landing gear actuator

I.e. Here is a made up lubrication detail from utopia... I'd ideally have this quick hit list detail added to the front of my maintenance binder for easy reference.

Aileron Control Surface Hinges -

Frequency : every 50 hours or whenever you feel like, can't do this too often.

Procedure:

1. Spray lps2 generously on the hinge while moving the aileron up and down to ensure penetration

Gear Zerk Fittings

Frequency : 50 hours or more often based on x, y, z

Procedure:

1. Load grease gun with mil spec xx-xx

2. Apply grease via the 8 Zerk fittings until new grease comes out of fitting

Etc.

Appreciate the shared knowledge in advance.

My nose gear has 11 grease fittings; each main has 8 or 9, I forget. I find and clean all of them on one leg, then grease them all. Then I spray Tri-flow on every other moving part in the wheel well, and move to the next one. Aeroshell 22.

For the prop, there should be a sticker with which grease is in there. Use only that. Mine is either 5 or 6, I forget. rRmove the caps and add grease until it comes out the other one. Recap and move to the next blade. I have 3 blades.

Flaps, ailerons, rudder and elevators--whenever you feel like it. Use the recommended grease. For your fuel cap lids, give a squirt of Tri-Flow or LPS on the center and let it work its way down. After 15-20 minutes, open the tank, the difference is amazing.

I'm not into writing detailed step-by-step procedures starting with "load the grease gun." I do so at work when I have to, but I prefer to assume some level of knowledge. If you don't know how, have your A&P show you how. It's a great learning process, and you will develop a better working relationship that will only help you in thel ong run.

Good luck. Oh, have lots of rags handy, and wash your hands with soap and warm water when you're done. :D

• Like 1

LPS2 is a penetrant and shouldn't be used on the sealed bearings which attach the various control surfaces. Tri-Flo and the like is good stuff but it should only be used where recommend. The let's talk lubrication thread is really good and clear on what should be used where both in the thread and in the corresponding MAPA article in addition to your service manual.

WD-40 though not mentioned here I will toss in as bad and not to be used on aircraft.

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

Only prop that requires grease is I believe a Hartzell, and be very careful greasing them, many you can fill the cavity with too much grease and as a min that will make pitch changes slow.

The larger Hartzell’s we put on turbine crop dusters, every one of them you removed one zirk fitting and pumped until you got fresh grease out of the removed hole, but the three blade on my Maule you didn’t, you only added two or three pumps, the prop manual was very specific about that, and that was one thing that yes you could easily overgrease and if you did the only fix was pull the prop and send it to a prop shop.

If there is any doubt, call Hartzell, their service support guys are good.

I personally like Corrosion-X for just general spray some lube on things like hinges etc as it’s excellent for corrosion prevention, probably not a very good lubricant, but how much lubrication does a hinge need?

WD-40 isn’t a lube, nor is it an oil, it’s a solvent, probably doesn’t hurt anything, but really doesn’t do much either.

Edited by A64Pilot

20 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

Only prop that requires grease is I believe a Hartzell, and be very careful greasing them, many you can fill the cavity with too much grease and as a min that will make pitch changes slow.

The larger Hartzell’s we put on turbine crop dusters, every one of them you removed one zirk fitting and pumped until you got fresh grease out of the removed hole, but the three blade on my Maule you didn’t, you only added two or three pumps, the prop manual was very specific about that, and that was one thing that yes you could easily overgrease and if you did the only fix was pull the prop and send it to a prop shop.

If there is any doubt, call Hartzell, their service support guys are good.

I personally like Corrosion-X for just general spray some lube on things like hinges etc as it’s excellent for corrosion prevention, probably not a very good lubricant, but how much lubrication does a hinge need?

WD-40 isn’t a lube, nor is it an oil, it’s a solvent, probably doesn’t hurt anything, but really doesn’t do much either.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Luckily, I think I recall seeing a necro-post here that was 7 years old, so you didn't break the record :D