Cowl Fasteners?

rangermb

The Mooney Parts Manual specific to your model plane is a good place to find the proper fasteners.

Getting the proper Dzus(?) fastener is a challenge to do without the detail. The screw part comes in different lengths. A special tool can be purchased to install the fastener.

Your local mechanic can probably help you get the right one and get it installed too. When installed properly, they can't escape!

You may want to post a picture. I may be mis-understanding what you are writing about...

I am a PP, not a mechanic.

Best regards,

-a-

The length for the screw portions of the camlocks are different for the aft most camlock, the ones along the side, the ones at the forward corners. The illustrated parts manual (google it and download it from the free.fr website that is the first or second hit) has the parts numbers and they're readily available.

-B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normally Camloc 2700 series(counter sunk) along the sides, and Camloc 4002 series along the firewall flange. Length is a number embossed on the head of the fastener. Smaller 2700 series are retained by a split lock ring, which will pass through a worn hole in the upper cowl.

Clarence

On a 77J, these would be camloc fasteners 2700 series ( different dash number or grip length depending on position in cowling. The front ones are shorter)

An alternate is to look at Milspec fasteners 2700 series . They also have them with a wider collar . These are particularly useful if your fiber glass is worn out.

And it must be because that's why your fastners keep jumping like grasshoppers !!!

The problem is that with worn out Fiberglas , the retainer does not retain because the hole is now too big !

You cannot use a bigger retainer because it has to fit inside the nut .

So your solution is : get the right grip ( - dash number as indicated above) and try not to loose them when you take off the cowling

I would be happy to hear of a more ingenious solution

The camloc fasteners for the parting line are 2700 series in the -4 length. Such as a 27S4. Except the rear most one it's either a -7 or -8

Milspec products also makes an excellent fastener those are called 2700 series.

• Like 1

During my pre-buy and first year of ownership this was one of my issues I know I was going to have to deal with as well. I was able to find the the right fasteners for the specific ones that kept popping out by calling LAZAR and they put a few in a ziplock and sent them to me so I had them on the road if I needed....which I did...and definitely due to worn out cowling fiberglass. So in an effort to not have to call LAZAR and have them keep my tab open to send me reoccurring fasteners every 60 days I elected to get a complete fastener kit from AEROSPACE (LAZAR has them also) and at my last annual have my mech repair and reinforce my cowling fiberglass (kind of like a face lift...but not really). He has a gentleman thats kind of an artist at it. Now it looks like it rolled off the showroom in addition to not have to worrying about replacing one when you're on the road is kind of a luxury. You're probably eventually going to have to have your fiberglass repaired.

• Like 1