Garmin GDL39 / GDL39 - 3D question

mschmuff

Does anyone out there have one of these?  And if so, will it work if mounted in the upper baggage compartment (hat rack) area?  As we all know dash real estate in a Mooney is at a premium and if I could mount one of these back there and it still work......."winning"!!!!

One thing would be a problem in the back - I have the backup battery - so when I shut down, the 39 thinks it lost power and switches to battery which it is supposed to do.  So I have to press the button to turn it off, so that I will have a fully charged battery backup on the 39 next time I run the system.  Otherwise it just runs off its backup battery until its out.  SO if I have the 39 in the back, I would have to remember to go to the bck of the plane to turn off the 39 manually - it is easy to turn off manually when it is on the glare shield.

• Like 1

You can get an external blade antenna for the ADSB portion for about 75 bucks, and route the cable to the hatrack, or under the glare shield. The GPS will receive sats below the glare shield. Learned that from Jose.

Also- the bare wires kit will allow for the 39 to auto power up when you turn on the master and auto power off when you secure the master... No cables, batteries, or anything to take to/from the aircraft....

Glare-shield with antenna folded.  Never had a problem. I ran the cable through the shield to my yoke mounted Garmin Area 510.  Bluetooth output also works very well in this location with Garmin Pilot for another backup source.

Rick

Mine is mounted under the glare shield and connected to the old ADF antenna. We put an "On/Off" switch on the panel so it could easily be cycled. It runs on ship's power, rather than battery. It pairs perfectly with the Garmin Pilot app.

Now I know what I can do with that old DME antenna that was never removed when the DME was sold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can find the high quality coax with the connections (antenna to gdl39) on eBay for about 20 bucks if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

Does everybody/some/nobody have a separate GPS antenna plugged into their GDL-39 on the glarescreen? I had one, but the male in from the small suction mount antenna (also at base of glarescreen) has lost its metal shielding and is loose. I am wondering if it is doing anything or even necessary. My wires are hidden under glarescreen pad and the male plugs into a 696 for redundant weather on Ipad and 696. I don't notice the smallish footprint (just right of center bar), but the heat is pretty high from the unit. I have long since paid for the unit by having no XM subscription payment.

Can I lose the GPS antenna on the glarescreen for GDL39? The 696 has an external co-ax antenna connection.

Does everybody/some/nobody have a separate GPS antenna plugged into their GDL-39 on the glarescreen? I had one, but the male in from the small suction mount antenna (also at base of glarescreen) has lost its metal shielding and is loose. I am wondering if it is doing anything or even necessary. My wires are hidden under glarescreen pad and the male plugs into a 696 for redundant weather on Ipad and 696. I don't notice the smallish footprint (just right of center bar), but the heat is pretty high from the unit. I have long since paid for the unit by having no XM subscription payment.

Can I lose the GPS antenna on the glarescreen for GDL39? The 696 has an external co-ax antenna connection.

If it's just sitting on the glare shield, then it will work 4.0 without an external GPS antenna. When I had a 39, mine was beneath the glare shield and still picked up GPS satellites without issue without an external antenna... Leaned that trick from Jose with his XM antenna. There's a thread on this board somewhere about mounting stuff under the glare shield...

• Like 1

Scott- I have mine connected to an Aera 500. The guy at Garmin said the GDL-39 actually will take the GPS signal from the Aera and use that signal because it is more accurate than the GDL's, and that is the GPS position it transmits to the iPad.

Not sure if the 696 works the same, but try e-mailing the Garmin guy direct, they're very helpful and fast.

g3xpert@garmin.com

• Like 1

I have read that an ADS-B receiver should have an antenna underneath the aircraft for most reliable reception. It makes sense since the stations are on the ground. With the GDL-39, if you plug an external antenna into it, does it then use both the external antenna and also the little stubby one on top? It seems like having an antenna both on top and bottom would be optimal.