AV80R Ace XM/WX Receiver

Piloto

I am considering on getting the AV80R Ace. I like the horizontal display feature that allows the unit to be located horizontally on the yoke without blocking the view of the panel behind. I am currently using the G396 with it's XM puck receiver underneath the glareshield that works very good. I would like to use the Garmin puck XM receiver with the AV80R so I don't have to spend additional $$$ and redo the wiring. Does anyone has tried the Garmin hookey puck XM receiver with the AV80R?

José  

Jose

I have the AV80r Ace unit.  It does not have an internal XM receiver and you have to go with an external WXWorx unit which comes with its own antenna.  I have a bluetooth setup working with mine. Wxwork mentions that the following are compatible with there units:

XM Portable Antenna

Comant ComDat GPS/XM antennas

Digital Antenna 233-XM-50

Shakespeare SRA-40

Terk XM5

Not sure if the Garmin is comparable to an XM portable antenna but if the gains are the same and the end connections are compatible I expect you should be able to use it.

I personnally think the Ace is a great unit on par with the 696 with added features the Garmin is missing.

Steve, thanks for the info. My believe is that the Garmin XM puck is a complete XM antenna/receiver with USB outputs to the G396. This XM puck is connected to the same G396 USB point you use to download data from your PC USB port. On the AV80R Ace the XM is connected to the USB port on the side. USB ports have standard connections and data characteristics. The Humminbird XM puck http://store.humminbird.com/products/323112/AS_WX1 is very similar to the Garmin puck. If my theory is right all of these USB XM receivers have the same data format coming from a propietary XM IC that contains the unique unlocking code for each receiver. After all only XM needs to know the unlocking codes. If I am right a registered Garmin XM puck should work with the AV80R Ace. There is no risk of damage since both are USB connections. If you have a registered Garmin XM puck give it a try. Even if the puck is not register you should be able to see data from the XM satellites. If it works this would allow AV80R buyers to skip on the WX/WORKS cumbersome receiver and just use the old Garmin hookey puck.

José  

Jose

I have a friend who has a 496 so I might give it a try.  If this works I would love to use the GXM30 instead of the WXworx receiver.  It's also about $250 cheaper.  At that price the Ace with the Garmin GXM30is even cheaper than the 695 and definately more features.

WXworx bluetooth receiver soon for sale?