Anyone know a Mooney proficient CFI in the Columbus Ohio area?

steingar

With any luck (and decent weather) I'm picking up a Mooney M20C in the environs of Atlanta this weekend.  I've got a CFI who'll help me fly it back him to the land of the Buckeyes, Columbus Ohio.  What I don't have is someone here who can continue my complex training.  I need some dual time to make my insurer happy, and I'd rather not do it all down there.  Anyone know a CFI in my area who knows Mooneys?  I sure don't.

I'm in northern Virginia. Happy to help if you don't find someone in Ohio. Mooney Flyer Magazine has a comprehensive list in it. No one in Ohio though. MAPA Safety Foundation is doing a clinic in Atlantic City in September also if that interests you and you could wait that long.

The MAPA PPP is a great idea! But I think Steingar is looking to finish his required dual first. I finished my dual over Labor Day, then sped to the PPP at the beginning of October.

Hey Steingar, PM your email to me, I'll forward one I have about Atlantic City in September, I think.

What are the hours in type requirements for the CFI? There are a couple instructors who did BFRs with me in my old converted D. They aren't Mooney specific instructors but they are both very good. Unfortunately the CFII that did all my instrument training is no longer instructing.

I haven't seen any other short body Mooneys around Bolton but there was one based at KDLZ for a number of years so it may be worth calling up there.

There is at least one other M20E model at TZR, I saw it a couple weeks ago.  I haven't seen any specific requirements for a CFI, but the guy I usually use doesn't fly them, and I don't know that many others.  I just need someone sufficiently proficient to keep me from crashing the damn thing (and of course, can give me a complex sign off).

Sometimes insurance companies want a CFI that meets the open pilot requirements on the policy.

Sometimes the CFI wants to be named insured :) I have a couple of gents I work with in Columbus and in Indy, but am not scheduled to go there anytime soon. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great news. Enjoy the aircraft and hope to see you flying around in it sometime. I do go to Ohio a big to shop at sportys, Dayton AF Museum, and visit friends in the 1G3 area. Be happy to help if it ever is needed.

If he takes an Introductory Biology class I will likely be his instructor.

No, it seems that most engineering majors no longer require bio today. However, if you want a great business idea, I paid almost $200 to dormroommovers.com to store 2 boxes over the summer. An additional $270 fee will be charged if he misses his box pickup time today. Seems like a great business opportunity for someone in Columbus to compete with those guys. :)

-Robert

I didn't realize you were at OSU.  I'm just around the corner from you on Olentangy next to the Fawcett Center.

Cool beans.  We're neighbors!  Love to see your Mooney!  Are you based at OSU or TZR?

How is the flying weather in Columbus? Coming from California my son thinks the weather is a bit intense. Last winter he said his hair froze to his head walking from the dorm to the gym. :)

-Robert

The wx here can be good or bad.  The fall and summer tend to be good, winter and spring not so much.  Once I get used to landing the Mooney I'm going to learn to be an IFR pilot.