Klixon switches

jrwilson

So, the way you can tell the Klixon from the E-T-A switches is by carefully looking at the switch actuator. The Klixon switches have hot-stamped lettering and the letters are actually indented some into the actuator. And, there is no printing on the very top of the actuator, that is the portion visible when it is off. The E-T-A switches are pad-printed, they look a little crisper and there is lettering at the top of the switch that also indicates its function [sTROBE LITE, ELEV TRIM, etc] that is visible when it is off.

Here are a couple of photos:

post-7205-0-67073000-1438871660_thumb.jp

From left to right: The Master switch is a regular (two pole) switch, not a switch-breaker like the Klixon or E-T-A switches.

Next is a Klixon RADIO MASTER switch in black.

Next is an E-T-A EFIS MASTER switch, in black.

Last is a switch blanker, these are made out of Royalite (Kydex, actually).

Here is another photo:

post-7205-0-92891900-1438871902_thumb.jp

These are white Klixon switches, with one black one thrown in for good measure. There are also white E-T-A switches, I don't have any pictures of those.

Shameless plug, the switches in the second picture are for sale $75 each. You will pay a lot more for new ones, even the blank ones in the original post here will cost you more. See the Avionics/Parts for sale forum. Thanks!

I know this isn't scientific, but to me, the klixon have a "softer" appearance.  The ETA switches have a more defined edge.  Also (with the mooneys, anyway), the white ETA switches are opaque whereas the Klixon switches are milky and somewhat translucent.

Unless you are saying substitute the ETA with a Klixon, that is doable but the ETAs look better. The ETAs are also out of production, unless Mooney managed to talk the Germans into restarting the line. The ETA base part number is 41-10-P10 by the way.

• 5 months later...
Anybody know the best place to buy Klixon switches.  Looking for a Landing Light.  Also can someone confirm for me the model number.  I have seen 20TC-BG-5 and 20TC-BG-25.  Haven't gone to pull mine out yet.  

Black market.

You can buy them new from Sensata. They don't sell them lithographed. If the switch is okay and the cover is broken, some people have had luck with a 3D print of a replacement. There is a thread out there that talks about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Black market. emoji50.png

You can buy them new from Sensata. They don't sell them lithographed. If the switch is okay and the cover is broken, some people have had luck with a 3D print of a replacement. There is a thread out there that talks about it.

No, covers are fine, need to replace the actual switch

Part of the name of the switch is usually it's rating in amps.

is the -5 for 5amps and -25 for 25 amps?

The 20TC comes in two versions 2 and 4.  2= Recessed mount for below surface switch (similar to the O's panel I think) 4= more of a surface mount.  Not seeing the BG option.  May have been updated with the change to Sensata ownership?

there are Mooney photos in this thread...

How many amps is the Landing Lite circuit rated for?  

I haven't looked that up yet...

This may be helpful...http://www.sensata.com/klixon/circuit-breaker-aircraft-20tc.htm

There is a list of options that include Landing Light....

You can get a new cover if you are buying a switch.

They also state 'don't risk ordering the wrong part. Call them or their distributor'

Aircraft Circuit Breakers
Fax:  1-508-236-1598

Customer Service - Pricing & Delivery
Name: Angela Garvey
email:  agarvey@sensata.com
Tel: 1-508-236-3536

Name: Gloria Chaves-Doherty
email:  gchaves@sensata.com
Tel: 1-508-236-3539

General Questions
Name: Betty Detore
email:  klixon@sensata.com
Tel:  1-508-236-3287

Marketing & Technical Support
Name: Susan Rogers
email:  sarogers@sensata.com
Tel:  1-508-236-3753

I had contacted Susan Rogers back in 2014 trying to get to the bottom of the printed switch covers debacle with no result.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Following that guidance....

A 20TC2-25  (Check the details with your mechanic prior to ordering)

share this with him...

http://www.sensata.com/download/drawings/20TC2_J.pdf

The switch covers are from the same data sheet....  The document calls it a button cover or rocker button.  I get the feeling that the marketing person I communicated with may have not known they are giving the part numbers on their website.  They are confused with the differences between buttons and rockers...

Rocker button options for SR12507-156-X
X
Options
1 Push On / Landing Light
2 Push On / Nav Light
3 Push On / Anti–Coll
4 Push On / Pitot Heat
5 Push On / Boost Pump
6 Push On / Glide Slope
7 Push On / Marker Beacon
8 Push On / Strobe Light
9 Off
10 Off
11 "SR to Invert Marking"
13 Push On / Rotating Beacon
16 Push On / Elevator Trim
18 Push On / Radio Master
19 Push On / LDG Light
20 On / Off
21 Off
22 "Colored Box"
23 Off
25 On / Off
26 Off /On
27 Push On / Low Boost
28 Push On / High Boost
28 Push On / High Boost
29 Push On / WX Radar
30 Push On / Prop De–Ice
33 Push On / Standby Vac
34 No Actuator
35 On / Off
For others, please contact us.

Part of the name of the switch is usually it's rating in amps.

is the -5 for 5amps and -25 for 25 amps?

The 20TC comes in two versions 2 and 4.  2= Recessed mount for below surface switch (similar to the O's panel I think) 4= more of a surface mount.

How many amps is the Landing Lite circuit rated for?  

I haven't looked that up yet...

This may be helpful...http://www.sensata.com/klixon/circuit-breaker-aircraft-20tc.htm

There is a list of options that include Landing Light....

You can get a new cover if you are buying a switch.

They also state 'don't risk ordering the wrong part. Call them or their distributor'

Aircraft Circuit Breakers

Fax:  agarvey@sensata.com

Tel: gchaves@sensata.com

Tel: klixon@sensata.com

Tel:  sarogers@sensata.com

Tel:  1-508-236-3753

I had contacted Susan Rogers back in 2014 trying to get to the bottom of the printed switch covers debacle with no result.

Best regards,

-a-

Nice reply Anthony.

• Like 1

Chris,

Thanks for the kind words...

I have been working on this one for two years.  With a decade of M20C experience including swapping out the landing light CB.

I wish all the answers would come this quickly.:)

Which cover did you need to replace?  I feel confident that I could actually order the right cover given the details I just updated.  I would start with the distributors first, though! 

I think I may have solved a mystery that the vendor may actually appreciate.

Best regards,

-a-

I'm definitely interested in replacing my switch covers preferably with new black labeled ones. I tried the black 3D printed ones but had to stick the labels on myself and they just don't "look right." If you can get some properly labeled black switch covers for Klixon switches I'd be in on that order if they're somewhat reasonably priced in aviation terms. 

The question keeps bouncing back to 'how many do you want'?  Which is standard for, if you buy the switch you get a cover for free.  It is clear that the CB/switches are still good, but the plastic covers are old.

Which I interpret as I need to keep working on it.

It is possible that there is a better partner than Aircraft Spruce.  I'll reach out to a couple other similar resources that may be better this week.

The switches and their covers are still in production.  The printed version is the same for all aircraft, their not Mooney specific.  The risk for them to carry in inventory is not terribly large.

I'll be on a mission starting tomorrow. :)

Best regards,

-a-

The question keeps bouncing back to 'how many do you want'?  Which is standard for, if you buy the switch you get a cover for free.  It is clear that the CB/switches are still good, but the plastic covers are old.

Which I interpret as I need to keep working on it.

It is possible that there is a better partner than Aircraft Spruce.  I'll reach out to a couple other similar resources that may be better this week.

The switches and their covers are still in production.  The printed version is the same for all aircraft, their not Mooney specific.  The risk for them to carry in inventory is not terribly large.

I'll be on a mission starting tomorrow. 

Best regards,

-a-

Anthony -- if they are able to procure switches and covers separately, it allows the matching of cover to correct amperage. It also will allow Cheap Bast$&ds like me to buy just the covers to replace all of my deteriorating ones. If they are priced right, I would buy a whole set.

I don't know how much of a break they will get to make it worth their while. Hope you you are successful. This is one of the Holy Grail items. Along with a cheap replacement for the ram air induction boot.

• Like 1

Here's a list of suppliers that have both used as well as new:

http://www.controller.com/list/PartsSearch.aspx?PartNum=20TC2

I lucked out when my landing light breaker went and found one on ebay and just for safety bought a new one from Sensata for approximately $240.00 last year

Edited by Steve Dawson

Update:

I sent Sherry at LASAR an email today.  I think if anyone has the way to access and supply these parts it may be LASAR.

The channel between Aircraft Spruce and Sensata is not a straight line...

Best regards,

-a-

Keep after them tiger! We need those switches! Or at least the covers!