How long is your plane out of service during annual?

Zwaustin

Hard to say. I do my own annuals as I have time for it. Could be a couple of weeks to a month depending on other things on my plate. I fix anything that's found out of limits and the rest through the year as time permits.

David

Hard to say. I do my own annuals as I have time for it. Could be a couple of weeks to a month depending on other things on my plate. I fix anything that's found out of limits and the rest through the year as time permits.

David

Same here.  I do owner assisted annuals and it veries depending on how much is being done.  This year will likely take the longest yet.  I sent out both mags for inspection/repair and the interior is also out to be redone in leather.  In the past it has taken me a couple of weeks working mainly on the weekends.  I suspect this will be closer to 3-4 weeks as the interior restoration can take some time.

Generally a two to three weeks doing owner assist. Now I'm on 4-day weeks, so it should go faster. Plus time waiting on oarts. Had new pucks ready, but missed the compression tool by one day, had to wait for someone else to finish with it.

This year was just over two weeks, including ordering a muffler and tail pipe late in the game when he discovered a fist-sized hole in the bottom of the muffler. Did major surgery on the doghouse the last two annuals, too.

To mitigate delays I order all the consumables before taking it to the shop and i look long and hard for stuff to replace the first day, then have it sent overnight or 2-day. Having a plane sit unusable for 4 days to save 40$ on freight is crazy.

When i installed the LASAR tail root fairings th left one wouldn't fit. I called LASAR at 4:30 pm in Houston and Gary has one in my hand at 10am the next day. They wouldn't even take my money. That's service.

We do mine in my hanger about 100 yards from the maintenance shop. I have oil, cam guard, filters, safety wire, various lubricants, jacks, torque wrenches, air compressor, frig... My A&P/IA has gear load tooling, compression gauge, wheel bearing grease... 

Takes 3 days absent any surprises. I start the annual at the end of the month it's due and get a fresh sign off in the next  month. 

I am on the IA calendar but he comes by and works/inspects/researchs ADs/etc on my plane between his other work orders.

I usually plan for two weeks at LASAR (with prior appointment), but since I am always adding new "stuff", it often runs three weeks. I don't try and rush them. After working with LASAR for both the Mooneys, (total of more than 20 years), I trust their workmanship, and pace of their work.

Generally a couple days to a week depending on what needs repairs. If there's little found, it can be in and out in a few days. If there's major overhauls (eg prop overhaul, etc) you will be down for the time it takes to do the overhaul (usually 2-3 weeks). It's best to pre-schedule things well in advance (at least a month out). Most overhauls will put you down for a few weeks, and major unexpected things can keep you down for in excess of a month.

Thanks for the input.... Asking because my plane has been in shop for some semi-minor work for three weeks now. First plane and hard to see it sit for so long!! I scheduled this work three weeks in advance of a pre buy but it has taken longer than I thought it would.

So far it's been 11 months.... Should get signed off in a few weeks. In my defense the plane was out of annual for 6yrs before I purchased it. Previous owner(s) did run it and taxi around just didn't fly it, So far I replaced all tires & tubes, brake rotors & pads, shock discs, engine mounts, all fuel & oil hoses, interior removed repaird and repainted, sound proof insulation installed, rudder pedal & J-bar boots replaced, new carpet, yokes wrapped with leather, alternator conversion and all the little stuff you find while doing something else, still looking for the retractable step servo (will plug and wire it up if not repaired by the time it's signed off). I have come to the conclusion that Al Mooney manufactured screws, rod end bearings and huck bolts and needed a customer so Mooney Aircraft was born. Almost forgot all work has been done by me with an IA close by.

• Like 1

So far it's been 11 months.... Should get signed off in a few weeks. In my defense the plane was out of annual for 6yrs before I purchased it. Previous owner(s) did run it and taxi around just didn't fly it, So far I replaced all tires & tubes, brake rotors & pads, shock discs, engine mounts, all fuel & oil hoses, interior removed repaird and repainted, sound proof insulation installed, rudder pedal & J-bar boots replaced, new carpet, yokes wrapped with leather, alternator conversion and all the little stuff you find while doing something else, still looking for the retractable step servo (will plug and wire it up if not repaired by the time it's signed off). I have come to the conclusion that Al Mooney manufactured screws, rod end bearings and huck bolts and needed a customer so Mooney Aircraft was born. Almost forgot all work has been done by me with an IA close by.

No mention of engine, panel instruments, avionics...

Typically 3 days barring any surprises.  Even on year when we decided to to a Top Overhaul I was only down for a week.  I typically set a "soft" date with my AP 6 months in advance, to see if he has any other commitments.  Then about 60 days prior we agree on a firm date.

Hey Zach, 

I typically schedule my annual 6 to 8 weeks in advance, but that has never been necessary.  However, since I know when the annual is due and my rough schedule, it is no effort to do so.  In fact, I would be comfortable scheduling a year out.   In any case, my last annual was at Maxwell's.  Early scheduling allowed me to get cheap airfare round trip from and to Longview.  I gave Don 3 weeks and made sure he knew when I was going to pick up the plane.   This seemed reasonable since the mags needed to be sent out for an IRAN and I wanted a week of buffer time in case anything came up.  The plane was ready when I went to pick it up.

I don'the think I've ever gotten my owner assisted annual done quicker than 7 days. I always think I'm going to do it in 4 days, but I always get way-laid doing something extra that I find to do. My longest owner assisted took 3 weeks because the owner was being lazy.

I put it their hangar Monday morning and they put it back in mine Friday by noon. I normally touch base with them 6-8 weeks out to make sure it get done. This year I forgot and they just called me and let me know they where taking my plane for for the week. I was glad they remembered:)