She is finally ours..

We have been working on closing a deal for a 68 M20F for about 5 weeks now. Mainly because of the remote location and lack of an A&P who keeps his commitment. She's been out of annual for 2 years, the previous owner had a sudden health issue 3 years ago, but with a thorough pre-buy, and thorough annual we are down to putting on new brake pads to be able to fly her off.

This is my first mooney, and I bought it with a friend. We have been flying my 172 a lot lately, and I had a business opportunity that requires me to be in Stockton, CA 4 days a month. Flying from Eastern Washington to KSCK in a 172 teaches you patience. I hope to be able to make the trip a lot faster now...

5 hours with a CFI next week, and I'll be burning up the sky at almost twice my usual speeds...

Rod

68 M20F

69 172K

• Like 8

Congratulations and welcome, plus 1 on the photos we love pictures of Mooney's. If you are going to be making trips to Stockton it might be a good idea to stop by Top Gun MSC and introduce yourself.  They run a great shop there

We live in a dusty part of the state.

Rod

Congratulations! Welcome to the Mooney experience!

With the proud pictures, put a little info in your avatar and/or signature. Who knows how many Mooniacs live near you? Rereading the thread, you're diagonally across the country from me.

• Like 1

I found this picture from a previous owner and the exterior hasn't changed. The paint is an 8.5 still.

I updated my profile info. I joined when we were still looking, so I hadn't filled in all the info, we were looking at Comanche's also... HT:Hank

post-13907-0-14268400-1438483351_thumb.j

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I am sick to my stomach tonight.

We had to replace a fuel servo and then our ferry pilot was ill for a day, then hell fire was unleashed on north eastern Washington state. The small town where our mooney is had a stage 3, mandatory, evacuation tonight. We have been trying for 2 weeks to get her back home, but smoke and haze has been keeping us in marginal vfr conditions, and no ferry pilot wants to launch in those kind of conditions in a plane that hasn't been flown in awhile. There have been 2 tfr's over a small town south of where she is at, that has been producing most of our smoky conditions, but last night lightning and high winds blew up multiple small fires into a multi-branched large fire.

I pray for my firefighting brothers, and the families of the 3 that perished yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my 5 hours with CFI this morning and now 5 hours solo then I can begin scaring others with my flying technique...  LOL.

Very different from my 172 in all aspects, but at 3,000', 23", 2,400 rpm, and 155mph gives me a big grin...  Haven't had it at any real altitude but all involved have been impressed with how well it is running and how smooth it fly's.

My partner in crime passed his PPL yesterday and starts his transition training on Monday.

Rod

6341Q

One of my greatest recent pleasures was sharing a pattern with a Skyhawk and having to swing wide because I was so much faster than him.  You will love your Mooney. Nothing like going at Bonanza speed burning Skyhawk gas.

My C uses less than Skyhawk gas. Sure, gph is higher, but on any trip (even just breakfast one county over), I consistently use less fuel. The longer the trip, the greater the difference. Two hours for me at altitude will be 10% less fuel than the 172, plus the half hour or more less travel time. :P

Edited by Hank