A/C Grounded! Part Needed and Can't Be Found

The local shop has a G model in for an annual and the Landing Light Switch/Circuit Breaker is toast, dead, kaput, no worky. They have 4 hrs on phone calls trying to find the part. The manufacturer says they will open up the line and make one for $1100+ and a 12 weeks lead time!

I'm guessing that this may be one of those parts that finding one is like finding gold in the parking lot but does anyone have any ideas on where they can look to find one?

The part number is- 20TC2-RA-25

Thanks. 

Why can you not spend your money to put in a new circuit with an LED landing light and new modern switch.  You can get a DER to sign it off if you need to.  As long as he has proper approved data to work with, you can make the modifications.

John Breda

• Like 1

The local shop has a G model in for an annual and the Landing Light Switch/Circuit Breaker is toast, dead, kaput, no worky. They have 4 hrs on phone calls trying to find the part. The manufacturer says they will open up the line and make one for $1100+ and a 12 weeks lead time!

I'm guessing that this may be one of those parts that finding one is like finding gold in the parking lot but does anyone have any ideas on where they can look to find one?

The part number is- 20TC2-RA-25

Thanks.

That part number is a Sensata number (Klixon). Not sure what the RA stands for but it looks like a standard rocker rated at 25 amps.

Page 24: http://www.gvzcomp.it/images/downloads/Klixonaircraft.pdf

Is that it? Looks like from the brochure they are making labels now as well.

http://www.sensata.com/contact/klixon-circuit-breaker-aircraft.htm

Contact info for distributors. Expect to pay around $150 for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Well, lets say that I am not connected with the local shop other than they call me on Mooney stuff if they are stumped. They specialize in Cessna 206s and 207s for the most part.  The owner of the airplane (NOT mine OK) wants to fix what he has and not add anything to his bird. Actually it's a very heavily modified G with an E engine and lots of outside mods. 

Yes it is a Klixon   No I have not started looking for them other than saying I'd post this for them They have been calling around most of today trying to find one. I don't know who they called as I was only there for a few minutes today and they asked for my help. I will probably have more info tomorrow. I just got involved with till late this afternoon. 

I will be checking the above lead also. Thanks for it.  

• Like 1

If it is like my 65C...

The landing light is a toggle switch / CB in one. They wear out with use.

Finding a replacement was as easy as calling Aircraft Spruce.

Important to know the rating and be ready for the pain of removing the brass bar that connects all the switches together in the back...

Keep in mind this comes from an aging memory.

Best regards,

-a-

So it's now basically an F. The E and F have the same 200hp engine. The C and G have the same 180 hp engine.

The C and E are short body and the F and G are mid length body.

So it's a G with F power and probably F performance except with smaller fuel tanks.

-Seth

1395 Nope! It's a rocker switch w/ CB built in.

Thanks for trying.

Pretty sure this is the one:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/klixon7270.php

May need to measure the original and compare:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/klixon7270_7271.pdf

See page 2, AN 7270-1 specifications

The part number cliffy provided is definitely a rocker with an integral breaker found on later Mooneys (like mine). They can be bought new, but are real pricey. Even the ones you have shown are up there price wise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The landing light is part of the MEL?

A common misunderstanding or just brevity in wording. An MEL is a document signed by your local FSDO that includes your aircraft's S/N that allows you to operate with certain inop equipment in certain situations. Its more common for 121 operators. Usually it allows for maybe a hydraulic pump to be inop if the APU has a functional additional backup, etc. 

-Robert

You may be able to get by with replacing the landing light with an led unit and sold the problem.   When I purchased my 1967 F model on the first flight home the landing light switch/breaker would only stay on for about 5 minutes then it would trip and not be able to reset for another 10 minutes after it cooled off.  I immediately changed the landing light to a led unit which draws about 2.5 amps compared to the standard  9 am landing light.   Problem solved and the landing light switch/breaker has been very happy ever since, and it will probably function for another 50 years

Yes you can fly day vfr BUT you still have to comply with the "inop" equipment regs to remove or disable the item, including log book sign off. 

An MEL CAN be approved for any Pt 91 airplane by using the generic MEL from the Feds for Mooneys and modifying it to fit your particular airplane and then getting approval to operate under its restrictions.  It can be done and they are aircraft S/N specific. 

Trolling junk yards now for the switch. Can't use the old switch as it sounds like a baby's rattle when shaken.

On July 31, 2015 at 0:54 PM, RobertGary1 said:

A common misunderstanding or just brevity in wording. An MEL is a document signed by your local FSDO that includes your aircraft's S/N that allows you to operate with certain inop equipment in certain situations. Its more common for 121 operators. Usually it allows for maybe a hydraulic pump to be inop if the APU has a functional additional backup, etc.

-Robert

I misspoke..."Required Equipment" per the TCDS.

The landing light is not required equipment per the TCDS nor does it need to be removed. It does not need to be deactivated as that bar has already been met...

AC91-67 defines deactivation as written below:

g. Deactivation means to make a piece of equipment or an instrument unusable to the pilot/crew by preventing its operation.

The flow chart for 91.213 leads us to the clear determination that it simply needs to be placarded INOP in order to be flown while the appropriate switch is procured.

http://www.nbaa.org/ops/maint/inoperative-equipment/operations-without-minimum-equipment-list.php

Whoever "grounded" this plane is a first class reg weenie. Should they decide to leave the private sector, I'm sure that they'd do wonderful working for the Fed...

• Like 5