Any polished Mooneys out there?

On November 16, 2015 at 7:03:46 AM, jetdriven said:

Several papers show that a polished metal wing is fastest.  A filled, painted wing is next, and an unfilled painted wing is slowest of all.  Actually a peeling, unfilled, painted wing is the slowest because. That's what I have.  

If this were so, I imagine that every competitive racer at Reno would have polished planes, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Whatever aerodynamic advantage polish has, must be pretty marginal. The biggest advantage is the reduction in weight, but even that is marginal.

On 10/7/2015, 6:12:02, Hank said:

Don't forget to paint the top of the cowling! Assuming that you want to be able to look out the windshield . . .  :)

I was thinking the same thing but apparently I sit low enough that the cowling doesn't shine in my eyes.

On August 15, 2015 at 10:19:35 AM, aviatoreb said:

I have been enchanted with possibly doing the strip job myself at some point, since I saw the seemingly amazing stripping product by accuchem.

http://www.tksfluid.com/product/aircraft-paint-stripper

One couldn't leave their airplane entirely bare if you have a fiberglass cowl cover as money of us do.

I tried 3 separate shops on the east coast to look for a scuff and spray job for the tops of my wings, and no one was willing.  I liked my paint scheme, but it is starting to fade and that is most apparent as usual on the tops of wings.  It adheres pretty well...

I know one that will do it.

On 11/16/2015, 11:01:03, jetdriven said:

I'll find links.  I like shiny paint 

I would love to see thanks.

I cannot imagine why it would be true, but I am not doubting that someone actually measured the effect.  My intuition though says that a beautifully painted smooth airplane would be the same as the same beautifully smoothed polished airplane.  I cannot imagine a reason why the skin friction would be different between smooth paint and polish - they seem pretty similar.

The thought of using a clay bar on my Mooney makes my arms tired. Can't just do the top if you're going for speed, got to do the underside of the wings and tail, and the whole belly from spinner to rudder. Just like you're polishing . . . Many, many square feet!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wildhorsesracing said:

The process of polishing an aircraft does smooth the surface tremendously.  I wonder if you would have to polish the paint to smooth it out as much as the bare aluminum is when polished?

The fellow with the worlds fastest Piper Cherokee used a process called "smooth wing" whereby he filled all the imperfections in his wing with some form of Bondo, then block sanded it smooth.  

After painting I'm sure the paint would benefit from the same polishing you've done.

Clarence

15 hours ago, Hank said:

The thought of using a clay bar on my Mooney makes my arms tired. Can't just do the top if you're going for speed, got to do the underside of the wings and tail, and the whole belly from spinner to rudder. Just like you're polishing . . . Many, many square feet!

I did a clay bar on every surface of my J during the first year I had it.  Worked on it for a full week.  I was sore for probably a month.   Looked pretty good when I was done, though.  

Bird was outside at that point so probably about 5-6 months before I wondered why I did it. It was awesome when it was fresh.  I'd be willing to do it again now that the plane lives indoors, but it's going in for repaint soon.  Thus the motivation is not really there.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Wildhorsesracing said:

Looking forward to warmer weather when we can add stripes, etc... 

fatherdaughter.jpg

So is that brand C bashful sitting next to a plane that can run circles around it, or did it get hijacked (flaps full down)?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, carusoam said:

Flying in formation is going to require cloud cover...:)

The sun is reflecting everywhere off that mirror ball!

Best regards,

-a-

Nah, he'll be fine. He just won't get to fly lead. Tail-end Charlie won't accidentally blind his fellow pilots. Did I mention in the last group, too? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...