Any polished Mooneys out there?

We have stripped my M20C and we are starting to polish her.  Anyone have a polished Mooney?  Any advice on polishing?

BTW - I wish we had weighed her before stripping, we took off three layers of paint schemes off of the fuselage.  

• Like 1

Search N64400, it's a polished Comanche with paint only in a few areas. It's a Herculean task but can be done. Try California purple metal polish, it works quite well.

Clarence

All you need is various gtits of Nuvite and a cyclo polisher, oh, and old clothes and time. Once you get it looking good you can stay Nuvite fine or use Mother's aluminum polish for touchup.

My RV was unpainted, so not as big a job as a strip/polish but it turned out nice - I'll fly it up sometime and check your progress.

BTW I got that cowl closure installed - that and some baffling work and new Lord mounts has mine running under 400 now except in initial climb. Have fun - there's a black and polished Mooney floating around somewhere.

Patrick

• Like 1

Started some serious polishing, need to do some more light sanding to finish cleaning areas the stripper didn't reach/remove so well.

• Like 3

Hey, progress! Looking good so far!! Have you decided on any decorations yet?

Not yet, thinking about putting the N # back on in a green like the last paint job and of course I'll put my "Mooney Pit" logo back on...

There is the option of clear coating a polished airframe. The risk is, as many have found, that over time the clear can begin to yellow out a little. Not as noticable with color under it but it really hurts the polished look.

Leave it bare, touch up as needed and devote a weekend to a full polish each year or so and it will hold the shine well, if primarily hangared, of course.

One other thing I would consider is painting the belly, underside of wings, and leading edges. They (esp. leading edges) require more regular cleaning; wiping down painted surfaces is easier than cleaning and touching up the polish. As to the belly and underside of wings, silver paint looks just as nice from 20 feet away, and with much less initial effort.

image.jpg2_zpsx7f7dghs.jpgk

Patrick

• Like 2