NEXRAD

My GTN750 and Garmin Pilot showed the same NEXRAD image on my flight. However, there was clear sky as far as I could see. I also ask ATC if he has anything in his radar and he said negative no weather whatsoever. So I am wondering where that rain came from on my screen?

post-11936-0-94492100-1438125437_thumb.j

post-11936-0-99191800-1438125451_thumb.j

If there are absolutely no clouds in the sky, it probably is a data refresh issue. Under the Connext section, look for the data age. I have found sometimes it never refreshed.

If there are clouds, it could be virga.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If there are absolutely no clouds in the sky, it probably is a data refresh issue. Under the Connext section, look for the data age. I have found sometimes it never refreshed.

If there are clouds, it could be virga.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GTN750 showed age of NEXRAD 4mins. That's why it caught my attention. I will watch it closely from now on.

I've found that NEXRAD shows a lot of stuff, particularly the green stuff, that doesn't amount to anything. Well, it might if you have to stay VFR. I came in from LNS to MRN about 4:00 yesterday afternoon. My NEXRAD was showing 3rd color lever precip and ATC was calling out moderate & "extreme" precip right where I wanted to go to get to the airport. My Stormscope was completely blank. Based on a lot of SS experience I descended through about 20 miles of NEXRAD display. ATC was curious about flight conditions when I was in the middle of the stuff he was painting. I reported a smooth ride in light precip. Plus another one for Stormscope! 

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N943RW

• Like 2

Most likely like Chris stated Virgo..the garman pilotand 750most likely showed Virgo, it'd be interesting knowing the temp:dew point and relative humidity..also I guess the pilot is a Adsb? Would love to know what real onboard wx radar would have depicted. Makes you wonder how much reliance you put on the screen when painted in green especially light green..

I've found that NEXRAD shows a lot of stuff, particularly the green stuff, that doesn't amount to anything. Well, it might if you have to stay VFR. I came in from LNS to MRN about 4:00 yesterday afternoon. My NEXRAD was showing 3rd color lever precip and ATC was calling out moderate & "extreme" precip right where I wanted to go to get to the airport. My Stormscope was completely blank. Based on a lot of SS experience I descended through about 20 miles of NEXRAD display. ATC was curious about flight conditions when I was in the middle of the stuff he was painting. I reported a smooth ride in light precip. Plus another one for Stormscope! 

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N943RW

I had the same experience. Red with no lightning is just rain. Using Garmin Pilot on my smart phone I have been able to correlate indicated weather with conditions on the ground while driving. A lot of times it will show red where I am but the tree leaves are not even moving.

José