Mooney Factory Service Center, Kerrville, TX

Mooney_Allegro

Oh, the Factory service center.  The memories I have. :)

After needing some sheetmetal work, I was convinced by the guy who ran the service center at the time, the *last* time that Mooney was in bankruptcy and not building airplanes.  I had a written guarantee that the airplane would be complete in ummm....3 weeks.  6 airline trips later and nearly a year, I got my airplane back. 

Don't get me wrong - the guys are great.  With layoffs, people losing parts and carts for annuals, people charging for new parts that are overhauled, melting windows that are to be painted, calling interior paneling "unairworthy" and many an interesting challenge, these were not my favorite times. 

The test pilots at the time (Bill Grebe, Mike and Wes, bar none the best in the bunch) were unbelievably great and became friends.

The boys and girl in charge in senior management were, unfortunately, clueless, and passed on goofy rules that forced the shop to work a 730-330 I think with people ensuring they took each and everyone of their breaks in completeness with no sense of urgency...at all. 

Stacey Ellis?  Unbelievably competent.  Beyond the nicest person you've met.

Brian Kendrick?  If you've ever met a nerdy, OCD, anal retentive person who "gets" everything Mooney, it's Brian, and I'm glad to see he's now the guy running the joint.  He broke my engine in for me.

Paul in Avionics?  Good lad.  Rick?  Mike?  All good guys who know their trade. 

Unfortunately when the management is lame, and these boys are forced to play pyramid games to see who can avoid a layoff, it's hide the sausage...which is really unfortunate. 

They do good work...when their management lets them get around to it, at Factory prices to fund the high cost of parts manufacturing and high profit margins that will never make up for airplane sales...and when they get around to it between layoffs.

Now...if Brian and the boys went to work at Dugosh that may be great...but unfortunately I just don't think they have the volume of work there to support the workforce. 

With Mooney selling all the lead molds to Mexico on so many of our parts, forgetting the core values of the company, and 50 of these lads in life support, I just don't think things look good.

Hoping to not be flying a different brand in my near future...

Quote: glbtrottr

With Mooney selling all the lead molds to Mexico on so many of our parts, forgetting the core values of the company, and 50 of these lads in life support, I just don't think things look good.

So sad, and too true. Great people working there, but carpet bagger owners have screwed over the fine people of Kerrville too many times.

Drum beating, flag waving, and hoping for the best won't do it. Smart, aviation savy, businessmen owners willing to invest and take some risk will. A more ecomonic minded and business supportive government is also needed. Wink

One thing we need to keep in mind is that I am sure representatives from the factory are reading this thread.  Imagine how hard it is for them to be viewing this, trying to to their very best work, and yet be tied by policies that are at best, behind the times.  I don't know about drum beating and flag waving, but what I do know is that we can support our company through these difficult times and remain optimistic.  Savvy businessmen?  A bit sexist.  Perhaps we need another female CEO at Mooney.

What have you all done for Mooney or for GA lately?  What have you done to be part of the solution? Instead of grumbling and being negative, perhaps we can turn our strong feelings into supportive actions.

Mooney Airplane Company would like to take this opportunity to clarify some of the topics covered within this thread and state actual practices of the Mooney Factory Service Center.

Our standard terms do require a 50% deposit at the start of a job as is printed on the estimate for every job and provided to the customer in writing. Advanced deposits do allow for the manufacture or purchase of parts required ahead of time so that at your time of arrival we can start work on your plane immediately; minimizing delays and allowing better throughput of work in the Service Center but are not mandated. Lead times will be quoted accordingly. Furthermore, we work with the minimum resources required and therefore rely heavily on good scheduling and planning of jobs in order to satisfy customer requested completion dates. Advanced deposits help guarantee start dates for you and tend to minimize fluctuation of customers requested start dates.

Our goal at Mooney Airplane Company continues to be “every employee satisfies every customer every time.”

We at the Factory Service Center consider each job, like your Mooneys to be unique, and welcome the opportunity to quote any work for you and to answer any of your questions.

Mooney Airplane Company

Stacey

Thanks for the clarifications...However the issue isn't quality work, it's the policy that some take issue with.  As I said in an earlier post, I love my Mooney but the corporate policy requiring a 50% deposit for a "run of the mill" annual inspection acts as an impediment, rather than an incentive to attracting maintenance based customers.

I hope you guys weather this storm - you've got a devoted (some might say fanatical following), which is definitely a strength Mooney should leverage.  With that caveat, take the forum with a grain of salt, but realize this is the best method for Mooney managment to garner unfiltered customer based feedback.  Unless a compelling business argument can be made to the contrary, it might be worthwhile to listen to the sentiments of your customer demographic and make some changes to accommodate the customers needs / desires.

I'd love to have a "factory" annual in my logbooks, but the perception is that a Mooney Factory annual would be cost prohibitive.  To take the stigma and speculation out of the equation, you might consider publicly quoting a generic "no-dings" annual for the various models.  In that way perspective "new" customers can wieght the pros/cons of coming to K-ville to have their maintenance performed.

Best of luck...

George Perry

Quote: DaV8or

Kind of off topic, but everybody always says that an airplane that isn't flown is going bad internally. Do you think your plane's engine or other systems suffered because it sat for nearly a year? If a shop like this sits on your plane for a year and later it is discovered that your camshaft rusted, resulting in engine failure, is that shop liable? Just curious. I've often wondered about these sort of long term project planes.

The Question: What have you all done for Mooney or for General Aviation Lately?  My reply-I maintain and improve my aircraft.  I keep my annual current.  I fly regularly and maintain myself and my airmanship/skill in my aircraft.  The result?  I pay for labor-helping my local/area FBO remain solvent.  I purchase parts, oil, gaskets, additives, Fuel Flow gauges.  I upgrade my panel providing for my local Avionics shop to remain viable/successful and purchase avionics (antennas, Co-Ax cable, radio/gps...In short I maintain myself AND my MOONEY.  I participate in an area (WATERLOO ALO) AOPA gathering where my senator and the President of AOPA attend.  I support AOPA as MY active lobby for general aviation.  I purchase my insurance through AOPA agency giving further financial resources to AOPA to fight for my and other pilots/general aviation rights.  I get a flight physical providing financial support to my local medical provider.  I purchase aviation fuel.  I travel to EAA and purchase a ticket for entry (myself and my son).  I am a member of MAPA.  I purchase my annual membership and Mooney items keeping their organization strong.  THAT IS WHAT I AM DOING FOR GENERAL AVIATION.  What do I receive in return?  The privilege of safe transportation for myself, family and friends.  The idea of requiring up-front cash flow for a "Mooney" annual is absurd and speaks volumes as to the current condition of MAC.  I'll give you (Jolie) and the Mooney poster the benefit of the doubt, but if you want to challenge ME on what I have done to support Mooney and General Aviation lately I just shake me head....

I'd seriously consider  Ronnie Kramer at Dugosh.  I think you would get a comparable annual at a much less cost. When I was there a couple of weeks ago for some minor service, he went way and above for about half as much as a well known Mooney Service Center in San Antonio....

Scott's my hero!!!  We keep pushing each other to stimulate the local economy and maintain our birds in a high state of readiness, but in reality I'm just trying to outspend him...Money mouth  Seriously though, we both have awesome E's that we need to show off a little more to the C, P, and B crowd.  Wish my schedule wasn't all dorked up.  No doubt the passion is there.

I wish I had a picture, but landing at Saint Joe Airport for the Sound of Speed Airshow and taxing right past the Blue Angels F-18's was a blast.  That and the crowd waving at my kids from behind the fence made them feel like rock stars....

Brian

Quote: scottfromiowa

The Question: What have you all done for Mooney or for General Aviation Lately?  My reply-I maintain and improve my aircraft.  I keep my annual current.  I fly regularly and maintain myself and my airmanship/skill in my aircraft.  The result?  I pay for labor-helping my local/area FBO remain solvent.  I purchase parts, oil, gaskets, additives, Fuel Flow gauges.  I upgrade my panel providing for my local Avionics shop to remain viable/successful and purchase avionics (antennas, Co-Ax cable, radio/gps...In short I maintain myself AND my MOONEY.  I participate in an area (WATERLOO ALO) AOPA gathering where my senator and the President of AOPA attend.  I support AOPA as MY active lobby for general aviation.  I purchase my insurance through AOPA agency giving further financial resources to AOPA to fight for my and other pilots/general aviation rights.  I get a flight physical providing financial support to my local medical provider.  I purchase aviation fuel.  I travel to EAA and purchase a ticket for entry (myself and my son).  I am a member of MAPA.  I purchase my annual membership and Mooney items keeping their organization strong.  THAT IS WHAT I AM DOING FOR GENERAL AVIATION.  What do I receive in return?  The privilege of safe transportation for myself, family and friends.  The idea of requiring up-front cash flow for a "Mooney" annual is absurd and speaks volumes as to the current condition of MAC.  I'll give you (Jolie) and the Mooney poster the benefit of the doubt, but if you want to challenge ME on what I have done to support Mooney and General Aviation lately I just shake me head....

Quote: sellis

Mooney Airplane Company would like to take this opportunity to clarify some of the topics covered within this thread and state actual practices of the Mooney Factory Service Center.

Our standard terms do require a 50% deposit at the start of a job as is printed on the estimate for every job and provided to the customer in writing. Advanced deposits do allow for the manufacture or purchase of parts required ahead of time so that at your time of arrival we can start work on your plane immediately; minimizing delays and allowing better throughput of work in the Service Center but are not mandated. Lead times will be quoted accordingly. Furthermore, we work with the minimum resources required and therefore rely heavily on good scheduling and planning of jobs in order to satisfy customer requested completion dates. Advanced deposits help guarantee start dates for you and tend to minimize fluctuation of customers requested start dates.

Our goal at Mooney Airplane Company continues to be “every employee satisfies every customer every time.”

We at the Factory Service Center consider each job, like your Mooneys to be unique, and welcome the opportunity to quote any work for you and to answer any of your questions.

Mooney Airplane Company

Quote: lahso

Call Lazar and ask robert for mooney maintainance manual 106...know how to work on and what needs to be worked on your mooney..

lots will tell you that your wing tanks will need resealed but the manual will say it is fine, and Mooney wrote it!

Know how to work on it or find someone that you trust, that is all you can do.

• 3 weeks later...

Quote: docket

All I'll say on the topic is that it shouldn't matter whether you pay up front, in the middle or at the end.  What matters is that the work gets done well and when promised.  For that matter if they asked to be paid up front I'd do it because who cares about the timing of payment.  With interest rates and the stock market these days I might be better off paying in advance before the guys in Washington take any more of the money out of my account.

Frankly, it shouldn't be a great surprise that the cashflow and overhead at Mooney is not particularly good right now because, among other things, I suspect that their leasehold expense is much larger that your typical service center.  I want to do my part to support those guys because their success flows down to all of us.  I have never been to the factory for service but I am going to run up there next week for some air conditioning work.

Now if they don't fix it then I'll make them walk the plank.  Ahoy mateys.