Dallas: Love Field or Addison

I'm headed to Dallas next weekend to visit a friend who is between  Addison and Love Field.  Which airport is best? (KDAL or KADS)   Airnav has good reviews for Business Jet Center at Love Field. Pireps please.

Addison is a nice GA field. A lot of flight training companies there...

Dallas Love field is pretty close to the center of the city. Used to be a Hub for southwest LUV, I believe.

They are both pretty close to DFW.

I haven't been there in decades.

Standby for a few MS members that live in the area...

Best regards,

-a-

Like Don says, usually quite a few lined up for departure at ADS. Skyline to clear off rwy 15. Watch how you enter FBO, the pavement is very uneven on one end, still though, I would stay out of the way of the Southwest guys at Love.

Russ

I've been to both, ADS is much more GA friendly as Don pointed out.  However, Love was closer to my meetings (as in a 3 minute car ride) so I went there more often.  If I had to decide, I'd figure out prices and go from there.  If equidistant, ADS is probably your best bet from an ease standpoint but again, if you are used to flying into busy airports, no need to avoid DAL.

Also, Dallas Executive, RBD, is much lower priced when it comes to fuel.  It's further south but if time is on your side, it's a much more inexpensive field to stay at.  I have stayed there are few times as well.  One of the FBOs is significantly less expensive if I recall.

Last but not least, there is a field north of Dallas, Sherman KSWI, with self serve fuel of $3.91.  It's 41 nm north of Addison.  So you can always stop their first, tank up, and head over or get the minimum fuel from ADS or DAL, and then stop at SWI on your way home.  Just an idea.

-Seth

Business Jet Center at DAL is actually quite GA friendly.  Used them many times in my Mooney and some random Cessnas.  Even get faster departures from there than Addison.  Fuel is cheaper than ADS as well.  And the line service is fast.

Request Takeoff/Landing from 13L/31R to avoid having to taxi past the airline terminal.

• Like 2

I had a similar situation last week HOU or EFD.  I chose Hobby it was the best fit for this trip.  Wilson air was good to me.  Getting out was a little bit of an ordeal waiting for 2 737s to depart.

You need to look at the overall picture of fuel, tie downs, service, rental cars, cabs etc. and chose the option that makes the most sense.

I stopped at the business jet center at Love and they were nice but charged me a ramp fee of $50. I've only done practice approaches at Addison.

I don't think they charge that with a modest fuel purchase. Call beforehand of course. But my friend recently arrived in his J-3 and topped off the plane. That was good enough.

Gas at $5.95 or less with Airboss...would definitely buy the gas and avoid that charge.

I don't think they charge that with a modest fuel purchase. Call beforehand of course. But my friend recently arrived in his J-3 and topped off the plane. That was good enough.

Gas at $5.95 or less with Airboss...would definitely buy the gas and avoid that charge.

I called. Business Jet Center has a $45 fee, waived with a 10 gal fuel purchase.  Which is not unreasonable.  Both FBOs at KADS were more expensive.  I may consider Mesquite   (KHQZ) too.  Time to visit google maps and see what the driving time difference is. --Considering I'll be stuck behind a few 737s in 100 degree weather at KDAL.  On the other hand, maybe they will let me take off on RWY 18, which seems optimal.

RBD will be cheapest and easiest to get in/out of.  Only down side is location given where you're headed after you land.  I would go to RBD before HQZ.  It has the added benefit of better people based at the field as compared to ADS or DAL.

ADS is busy, but it's not too crazy... normal to me though :).  I'll say that with the caveat that I once waiting 30 minutes in line for take off (primary training), but that's extremely rare.  Possible, but rare.  Most of the time the line isn't more than 3, or maybe 4 deep and the controllers get people out really quickly.  I would to go MillionAir.  If runway 15 is active, ask for flight following and and over the top of DAL 18/36 at love field @ 2000.  It's a very common route.  When you take off, make sure your transponder is on and set correctly because you'll receive a quick handoff and need it for a bravo clearance before you reach the bravo airspace.  If runway 33 is in use, plan on going around the east side of the class bravo airspace.

I think 18/36 at Love is closed.  I would anticipate using 13/31if you go into KDAL.  I don't have a pirep for you- I've never been in there if not flying on the big aluminum tube.

I think 18/36 at Love is closed.  I would anticipate using 13/31if you go into KDAL.  I don't have a pirep for you- I've never been in there if not flying on the big aluminum tube.

I took a look at the satellite picture. The runway does indeed have a big X on both ends.  I don't know why the AFD still has it.

My standard measure of documented things that don't exist, is the airport near my parent's house...

Norfolk, Ma. The airport has been closed for 15 years. It is a red X with a circle on VFR charts. Next to the intersection Milis...

Some things change incredibably slooooooowly...

Best regards,

-a-

I ended up going to KHQZ (Mesquite), as it was a little easier for the folks on the ground.  It was super easy.  No fees. Fuel was $4.10 per gal.  And just about the fastest IFR release I have ever gotten.  As for Dallas, we ended up going the the Aquarium, which was quite good.