Canopyman

electric fuel pump, Where?!

I too have a '64 M20E and had a leaking boost pump.  My plane had a dukes and I replaced it with the Weldon last summer; it was a drop-in replacement.  About $800 for a new pump from aircraft spruce plus an hour or so of A&P time.

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

1965 M20E Electric Fuel Pump when switched to 'ON' within about 7 seconds the fuel pressure goes to zero and engine will die. Any ideas?

@Carlton, From the limited data, it sounds like you might need two pumps; Primary and boost.  If I were you, I'd start this in a new thread.  Best of luck.

• Like 1

Stay with me for a moment @Carlton...

There are a few interesting fuel pump diagrams....

Most Mooneys have the electric boost pump in line with the mechanical fuel pump...

Some ‘lucky’ planes are not inline...

This Possibly sounds like something is allowing fuel to backflow through a failed pump... giving zero pressure and no fuel flow to the engine.  Or leaking out to the ground...

1) Go immediately to the POH, parts manual, service books for your plane to see how your fuel pumps are plumbed...

2) look for any oneway valves...

3) clean or replace the faulty oneway valve that is allowing backflow...

4) Look Around the plane for puddles on the ground... or blue stains at the pump drains...

5) if the pump sounds normal fuel is going somewhere...

6) if the pump sounds funny, it is possible the vanes have come loose or departed the pump...

7) what do you hear when you turn the boost on?

8) do you have a fuel flow meter?  Does it get erratic during this? A sign that air is entering the line...

PP hypothesis only, I have only heard of this odd pump arrangement once, recently... not a mechanic.

peace and honor to our lost canopyman, who’s thread we are revisiting...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

On 9/18/2018 at 2:37 AM, Carlton said:

1965 M20E Electric Fuel Pump when switched to 'ON' within about 7 seconds the fuel pressure goes to zero and engine will die. Any ideas?

You may have enough junk in the elec fuel pump that it is blocking fuel flow at the pump.   Check all screens.

You may have enough junk in the elec fuel pump that it is blocking fuel flow at the pump.   Check all screens.

Does the E have the extra screen after the fuel pump like my J does?

40 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

Does the E have the extra screen after the fuel pump like my J does?

The extra screen after the electric fuel pump is because of the Duke pump exploding their plastic part and keeping those pieces from going downstream.   Subject of a SB.  I have a Weldon and also think I have a screen.

A little off topic but close. I have a 64 M20E that does not have a Duke pump and also no inline filter. I am installing GAMI injectors soon as my on going referb and want to install an inline filter while torn down. Anyone know of a PMA filter that would be able to be installed. The SENCO filter in the SB is no longer in production. I purchased one from salvage, but have no way of testing this 40 year old filter before installing it.

Thanks,

-mark

There is a  finger screen in the fuel servo that is supposed to catch everything before the injectors.  This is what came out mine after we brought the plane home.  Several months after a "fresh" annual.

20150419_095220.jpg

Edited by Yetti

5 hours ago, Mark942 said:

A little off topic but close. I have a 64 M20E that does not have a Duke pump and also no inline filter. I am installing GAMI injectors soon as my on going referb and want to install an inline filter while torn down. Anyone know of a PMA filter that would be able to be installed. The SENCO filter in the SB is no longer in production. I purchased one from salvage, but have no way of testing this 40 year old filter before installing it.

Thanks,

-mark

Mark,

You can take it apart for cleaning and inspection.  You’ll have to measure the O ring to work out the part number.

Clarence