A&P for minor work on field on my M20C at KPNE

DXB

My home field KPNE's only maintenance operation for small aircraft was Hortman Aviation. Longtime owner Herb Hortman unfortunately died suddenly in May.  Today I learn his flight school, rental, and maintenance appear to have shut down completely as a result.   

I'm left with no options on the field for quick minor stuff, or anything that might come up that makes me uneasy to move the plane without getting it checked out.  

Any local Philly A&P suggestions?

Dev

Herb's untimely passing was indeed sad. He was a friend and passionate aviator. I received all my ratings there. Russ, at Cutting Edge in Robbinsville handles all my Mooney needs.

Al

Herb's untimely passing was indeed sad. He was a friend and passionate aviator. I received all my ratings there. Russ, at Cutting Edge in Robbinsville handles all my Mooney needs.

Didn't know Herb well, but seemed like a good guy the couple of times we talked- RIP.  He simultaneously ran very sizeable training, rental, and maintenance operations that kept GA happening within the city of Philly. The guys in his shop didn't have Mooney-specific knowledge but were experienced and always willing to help me out in a pinch.  Hope they all landed on their feet.   Too bad the financials weren't conducive to his estate keeping the operation going.  Another loss for GA.

Up till the first of the year I taught at the A&P school there, there was a mod works on the north side by the jet center but have not visited them, they are same bunch as in Robinsville. Orionflt and myself are at Quakertown.

Up till the first of the year I taught at the A&P school there, there was a mod works on the north side by the jet center but have not visited them, they are same bunch as in Robinsville. Orionflt and myself are at Quakertown.

Yeah the shop by the Jet Center, where I hangar my plane has been closed for years.  I assume it's inevitable a mechanic will take up residence there again at some point. It's too big a field to lack maintenance.  Brian just helped me out on Friday in Quakertown with a broken carb heat cable.  

• Like 1

Didn't know Herb well, but seemed like a good guy the couple of times we talked- RIP. He simultaneously ran very sizeable training, rental, and maintenance operations that kept GA happening within the city of Philly. The guys in his shop didn't have Mooney-specific knowledge but were experienced and always willing to help me out in a pinch. Hope they all landed on their feet. Too bad the financials weren't conducive to his estate keeping the operation going. Another loss for GA.

Indeed Herb's passing is a sad loss for GA in our area.

I did my training there and rented from them for a long while before I acquired my Mooney.

Their airplanes were always in top shape, clean and very well maintained.

I have only the best memories from Hortman Aviation and saddened by the loss.