Flying into Salida, Co

A buddy and I are flying into Salida tomorrow if the weather and winds cooperate. If not we'll land in Canon City where it's a little flatter terrain. Anyways, I was wondering if I could get any pireps on flying into Salida if any of you guys or gals have been. I plan on following the river in from Canon City at 10,500'. Thanks...

Land west, T/O east......unless really windy from the west - T/O east.  You will usually get good ridge lift east of town with westerly winds.  Most of the locals would advise to take the downhill, downwind takeoff.

10,500 should be more than enough altitude from the east.

Crew car may be available.

they had two crew cars last fall when I was there.

I landed and t/o west, on that west end approach it's sort of on a bluff and the wind can be squirrley, it's a long runway so for me I'd shoot for a little further down the runway, about a third. It's a pretty mellow mountain airport. Lots of room for a downwind departure in my opinion, and I was in a 182 at the time.

Amica's pizza is fantastic.

I hope you can make the trip. The weather in Colorado has been absolute crap all week, with lots of overcast, rain and smoke from the fires in Alberta. Jetstream is parked over us and is pulling it all in. Not forecast to clear up until Friday at the earliest.

Here's a live webcam shot of Denver: http://apcd.state.co.us/live_image/chpark.jpg

I hope you can make the trip. The weather in Colorado has been absolute crap all week, with lots of overcast, rain and smoke from the fires in Alberta. Jetstream is parked over us and is pulling it all in. Not forecast to clear up until Friday at the earliest.

Here's a live webcam shot of Denver: http://apcd.state.co.us/live_image/chpark.jpg

tomorrow looks a little better down south, the usual chance of tstorm in the afternoon and partly cloudy in the AM.

Salida's on my list. I've flown past it on a couple cross countries and it looks like a cool airport and town. I've not been there by ground or by air.

Looking forward to it. We are going to climb a couple 14'ers and ride the Monarch Crest mtn bike trail. It's supposed to be a hoot.

• Like 1

Salida is pretty straightforward except for its proximity to the mountains to the west than can cause some interesting wind patterns.

This should be an extremely obvious question: do you have high density altitude/mountain experience? It becomes especially important because Mooneys are not known as great performers in those conditions. More about the takeoff than the landing.

Flew in today, good flight. Pretty straightforward as mentioned earlier. I fly into Colorado a lot so yes, I'm aware of the high altitude/ density altitude requirements. I'll be about 250 lbs below gross and the runway is fairly long at around 7500' or so with no immediate obstacles on departure. Should be easy.