F16 and a C150 mid-air near Charleston...

5 hours ago, amillet said:

Do you say "negative contact"?  What is the preferred response to let ATC know you heard the call?

I say "no contact" or "negative contact" or "N number has the traffic".

"Looking" tells a controller what they likely already assume...that you have working eyes. The only thing they need to know is if you see the traffic. Often times I hear a controller call my aircraft to the other traffic first, so when the call comes to me I've already identified the opposing traffic.

Negative contact from the pilot controller glossary. Simple and gets the point across. When IFR in IMC I say "IMC" as well- then they stop asking you to look and will hopefully issue a vector if a conflict exists.

Ref pages 72 and 108.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/media/pcg.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Does anyone reply to ATC that "no visual, tracking on TIS" or equivalent?

I hear that a lot, often "got it on the fishfinder." But no, I don't say that, I wait until I see the traffic with my eyes (my fishfinder is on the boat, and only works vertically for a little over 100 feet). I use "looking" during that awkward silence after the initial callout if I don't spot it in a few seconds. Lets ATC know I heard them; sometimes I use "no joy," it all depends . . . "negative contact" is an awkward mouthful compared to "no joy."