Cirrus down via CAPS in Houston cul-de-sac

Looks like there were some small open spaces and some busy roads in the area (see attached satellite photos) but in the middle of the metro the chute was likely the best option.

From what I've seen lately both Cirrus and the insurance companies are saying "pull early/pull often".

post-11273-0-33036900-1436294786_thumb.p

post-11273-0-81946600-1436294795_thumb.p

Awesome. Would probably be dead in a Mooney.

Maybe not. What's the glide ratio of a Mooney with the gear up versus a Cirrus with the gear down?

Once you commit to the CAPS you drift where the wind carries you with no control.

Clarence

Maybe not. What's the glide ratio of a Mooney with the gear up versus a Cirrus with the gear down?

Once you commit to the CAPS you drift where the wind carries you with no control.

Clarence

Being in a neighborhood it could have easily came down on some power lines...

Is carbon fiber an insulator? In our aluminum cans, I suspect we would be toast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

True, but I bet there is still plenty to conduct power in the cirrus airplane. That is if one line doesn't tear into the cockpit and the next one sits in your lap. But all hypothetical

Think bird on a wire

That is what I was thinking. As long as ground contact isn't there, I'm sure no one would be calling you "Sparky".

BTW -- I read somewhere you are 6'9". I now understand the Yetti reference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd of pulled in that urban environment.

Flying through the Bravo here ATC will keep VFR traffic below 2,000' because of KIAH and KHOU. That altitude doesn't offer much time to pick your landing spot so I often consider where I'd put it down if necessary. Freeways are choked with traffic and other roads are full of power lines. We've got a few big parks and several bayous (man-made rivers) along with a few golf courses and football fields here and there.

It must be reassuring to know that all you have to do is pull the "red handle" and settle where you may. Still, I'd hate to end up in front of a truck or in a power line as some have mentioned. But once I'm out of the metro area the chute seems a bit unnecessary.

The low altitude and high density is one reason I prefer to avoid bravo. Flying over Tampa strip clubs at 2k feet sounds like fun until you need to get down fast.

I'm the opposite, I want to be in that bravo around here because it's a busy VFR corridor and I want the radar service.