Pilots N Paws weekend flight.

I finally started doing some Pilots N Paws flights recently and yesterday was one that just made you smile. On Friday I saw an urgent posting about a Boxer in one of the LA shelters that was on the kill list because of the expected overcrowding due to the 4th of July. He's an older boy and had some veterinary needs, but the people at the shelter loved him and wanted to get him out before he got put down.

I already had plans to do a pleasure flight with one of my friends and her boyfriend and since I knew she loved dogs and we didn't have a destination nailed down yet I went ahead and committed to helping to save this guy. 

It ended up being a very overcast morning so I got to do my first true IFR departure without an instructor on board. The usual heavy socal marine layer, we were up and on top in just a couple minutes. We then flew up to KWHP and did an approach in to meet the woman who got him out of the shelter. He turned out to just be the sweetest dog, and so well behaved it's obvious someone trained him. It kills me to think that someone would spend the time to train a dog so well, then abandon him. He's not the prettiest thing at the moment but the folks at NorCal Boxer rescue are gonna get him some proper vet care and clean him up right. 

The flight up to Oakland was as smooth as glass and our boy Sam snuggled right up in the back seat with my friend, and they both promptly passed out. When we got there the folks at Kaiser Air were all ready for us and had brought the rescue folks out to the ramp with their car. They treated us great and had a crew car for us to get lunch with as well, and were kind enough to waive all the fees. Guess they love dogs too :)

The trip home took a bit longer with a bit of a headwind, and we ended up having to shoot the ILS back into Palomar right at sunset which was beautiful as they descended us right to the top of the layer before catching the glide slope. 

Best part of the day was getting home to check my email and finding this link from the woman who dropped Sam off with us. Burned a lot of time and AVGas today, but this made it worth it.

I couldn't resist snapping some pics of the flight either.

11693857_10207147256309932_6158188519767

11659496_10207147256669941_6451282310554

11693837_10207147256909947_5800548548014

Dallas
  • Like 5

Great post! Thanks for sharing. I got in with PnP back in the beginning, though my transports have slowed down now. My wife and I still love to work with the rescues.

I too got in with them in the beginning.. There were only 600 pilots when I started... Now it's well over 10000 so its a small wonder I'm still able to find a flight with so many looking.

BILL

Here's the dog eman and I took to Myrtle Beach today.

attachicon.gifbell.jpg

Nice flying over 6000 where it was less than 70 degrees. Boy did we notice the difference when ATC brought us down to 2000 on approach to Grand Strand Airport.

Bill

Bill -- sounds like a great trip. Did this dog have a multi-colored eye? They are so appreciative, aren't they?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk