What would you say?

The masses run on bald tires in rain and snow. They focus on "smart devices" and wander in and out of their lanes 3-5' away from tons of steel traveling at double digit speed. Humans are inherant risk takers...and then everyone is surprised and sad when the domino's line up and _ _it happens.

Center-line and side-line rumples and vehicles to "manage" inattention and laziness are the "new normal".

AND parachutes vs. facing the reality of what is going on under the cowl.

No doubt it is the plane and not the user that needs "fixing".

Or not.

Clearing up my intent...

1) there was something wrong with what the cirrus pilot was doing.

2) I promote saying something.

3) Ross and many other people on this board are qualified to give good advice when you see something like a pilot adding a gallon of oil at a time.

4) not everyone will take well to good advice even when it is well intentioned.

5) with a leak that is that large, it is hard to say that it will remain stable and predictable.

6) to keep flying it with high or unstable oil use, has a high probability of leading to a predictable engine out landing.

7) if the plane could talk, it would be asking for help. I'm sure it wouldn't want an off airport landing either.

Let me know if I have implied something different. I'm still working on my knowledge and writing skills.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Come on, nobody has said it yet???....

"Cirrus Driver"...

My good friend flys one, he traded a really nice B55 for it. It's a G3 with the Tornado Alley turbo.

He runs it at 6 qts, and the belly is a mess!! Oil was pooling at the bottom of the rudder. He says the oil seepage is just normal. I then asked if his Barron ever leaked... No comment.

-Matt

"Cirrus Driver"...

My good friend flys one, he traded a really nice B55 for it. It's a G3 with the Tornado Alley turbo.

He runs it at 6 qts, and the belly is a mess!! Oil was pooling at the bottom of the rudder. He says the oil seepage is just normal. I then asked if his Barron ever leaked... No comment.

-Matt

When that happens in aluminum airplanes it's called an anti-corrosion system...

"Cirrus Driver"...

-Matt

There are many on this site who refer to themselves as "driver" It's not unique to Cirrus.

Last time I checked, Transport Canada and FAA issued me a "pilots license" and the Ontario government issued my "drivers" license.

Clarence

Clarence always chides me for referring to myself as a "Mooney driver."

Ned Gravel

Lucky steward of C-FSWR, a '65 E model at Rockcliffe, Ontario, (CYRO)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So whats with the petty jealousy over the Cirrus owners????

It's not petty jealousy. It's annoyance. Walk around the Cirrus area at Oshkosh, you'll see what I mean. Between the snooty salespeople/staff, the loud music, and the fairly clueless customers, you'll start getting annoyed too. VERY different feeling than what you get at the Mooney area.

My wife called the Cirrus crowd "the Justin Biebers of the airplane community"- annoying punks you just wish would shut up and go away.

If I were getting ready to do something that a more experienced and wiser pilot sees as dangerous, I would sincerely hope that person would stop me and try to educate and persuade me before I kill myself or someone..   I'd rather have a shattered ego than shattered lives and plane.    Yea, there are a lot of folks who shouldn't have a license to begin with, but I don't think that's reason enough to standby silently...  I think it's better to at least try to get them up to par..   Like that heavily loaded 140 mentioned earlier... Hell, I think I would have pushed the guy to pull out his W&B sheets... especially when there are innocent passengers involved.. 

It's not petty jealousy. It's annoyance. Walk around the Cirrus area at Oshkosh, you'll see what I mean. Between the snooty salespeople/staff, the loud music, and the fairly clueless customers, you'll start getting annoyed too. VERY different feeling than what you get at the Mooney area.

My wife called the Cirrus crowd "the Justin Biebers of the airplane community"- annoying punks you just wish would shut up and go away.

That's too bad, they're fine airplanes, really.

• Like 1

This thread just took a weird turn. Seriously, Do you think tht Cirrus pilot did not know that there was "something" Cirrusly wrong with his engine? He disregarded the dire warning that the engine was sending him. End of story. At the end of pilot training you don't know how to obtain and do a calculation for weight/balance and fuel? Come on. Do you think that a nitwit that is willing to disregard his and others safety is going to listen to your rational talk?

You might make your conscience feel better...By all means say something, but your odds are a lot better at the roulette wheel.

• Like 1

Stereotypical B.S.

See Above...

I just completed my flight review with a Cirrus owner. He picked up a beautiful SR22 for what I paid for my Vintage Mooney. He stole it...He is a class act, just like his plane. I would trade him in a heartbeat. The remarks like you made reflect poorly on you...not on Cirrus Pilot/Owners.

• Like 1

Stereotypical B.S.

See Above...

I just completed my flight review with a Cirrus owner. He picked up a beautiful SR22 for what I paid for my Vintage Mooney. He stole it...He is a class act, just like his plane. I would trade him in a heartbeat. The remarks like you made reflect poorly on you...not on Cirrus Pilot/Owners.

I'd trade our 231 for the NA sr-22 also, sorry guys. Far fewer tradeoffs with the -22 and a little higher margin of safety, in my opinion.

I was wondering if this was the same guy who pulled the chute in Houston, then reread the initial post. Surely no one would fly from Maryland to Texas, adding a couple of quarts every hour?

So I must conclude that this is a different plane: http://mooneyspace.com/topic/15843-cirrus-down-via-caps-in-houston-cul-de-sac/

But I have to think, the guy that Ross met is a good candidate for this . . .

Ya'll fly safe out there, whatever brand or speed you select!