ADS-B Big Brother Already Watching, (from beechtalk)

The below posting was copied over from Beech Talk board.

Post subject: ADS-B Big Brother Already Watching   Posted: 23 Jun 2015, 17:10
Just received a courtesy call from the FAA from their head ADS-B investigator telling me I was out of compliance 100% Baro Alt since January 17th, me thinking this was a joke he could hear my laughter, then it got real quit as he gave his credentials again. Still thinking this was one of my friends trying to get me wound up over ADS-B.

He was kind enough to send me an email with what needed to be fixed, could not believe he had every flight since install back in October last year. He actually pin pointed the exact flight where I fell out of compliance. I guess my registration for some reason has a phone number that's not mine, he went to the trouble to Web search me to find my cell number?? didn't know they could do that.
So off to the avionics shop again, I bet they knocked a wire or pin loose when they installed my auto pilot in February.

Email
As per our conversation I have attached the latest failure report for your Aircraft.

If you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

William Adams
FAA/Avionic ASI
ADS B Compliance Team
AFS-360 Avionics Branch(Detailed)
(O) 202-267-8961

Big Brother is watching.  I flew to Van Horn TX. last Friday.   I had to work around thunderstorms.  I am ADS-B in only.  I flew within 5 miles of the Mexican border, had to circle for 6 minutes to let a rain shower move off.   Border Patrol called the airport to verify that I was there and did they know my N number.  They even sent a patrol vehicle out and left without contacting me.   As I was descending, I was below radar coverage.

Ron

Reminds me of a song- "The Eyes of Texas are Upon You" but substitute CBP, NSA, FBI, etc for Texas.

OH wait, also your neighbor (the one out on parol for burglary)who now knows where YOU are and how long it

will take you to get home!

We are being told to pay for half of their ATC system, the most important half, our exact location. They, at

present, don't have "full control" of that part of the equation. It is only a matter of time until they will require

annual "system integrity checks" to be performed. At what price? Who knows?

And, if you put it in you gotta use it all the time. Ya can't just turn it off any more than you can turn off your

transponder if you are in "controlled airspace" not just ADSB airspace.

Now, try flying somewhere cross country and not use "controlled airspace".

I'm not an expert of the US ATM system so correct me if I'm wrong, but in this case baro ALT is malfunctioning.

Baro ALT is used everyday in mode-C/S, TCAS replies (which I think is operational in the US).

A baro ALT outside of specs may cause unwanted TCAS Resolution Advisory as other traffic will see you at a wrong altitude.

This will causes unwanted traffic flow disruption for no valid reason.

I guess a 747 pilot would be rather upset to perform a go arround just because someone flying nearby got his BARO ALT wrong.

They record everything.  If you want your ADSB compliance report for your last flight, just send your N number to this email address.  In a while they will send you back your compliance report.

9-AWA-AFS-300-ADSB-AvionicsCheck@faa.gov

You'll be shocked at the data they gather.  I'm sure they will send us a bill for flight time when they get those user fees implemented......

"Out of ATC radar coverage" I always thought it was interesting that when going across the North Atlantic

well out of land based radar range the transponder light would flash showing interrogation by someone.

"Out of ATC radar coverage" I always thought it was interesting that when going across the North Atlanticwell out of land based radar range the transponder light would flash showing interrogation by someone.

Probably a TCAS from an airliner. It's not uncommon over north atlantic.

• Like 1

It's not necessarily ADS-B .... Yet ...

It's radars in the sky that look down. Like the restricted area in the Florida Keys. I heard it is a look-down radar attached to a tethered ballon. That may not be the only one of that type? Heard other airborne look-down radars are onboard aircraft doing a circuit ....

Anyone know for sure?

I remember years ago for the "war on drugs" they installed the balloons.  Why they would be in the middle of the country I'm unsure?? :ph34r:

Here's an interesting statement from the NAV WORX site regarding VFR operation:

http://www.navworx.com/products-ADS600-EXP.php

AutoStealth Mode:
The UAT technology is the only ADS-B equipment that will allow for privacy. Normally, ADS-B devices transmit the aircrafts ICAO number, a unique code that is assigned by the FAA to each aircraft. When flying VFR however, there is no need to let the FAA know who you are. The ADS600-EXP randomizes the ICAO whenever the squawk code is set to 1200. In addition, the N-Number of the aircraft configured is changed to "N0", an unassigned N-Number

• Like 1

A friend with a Cherokee 140 is getting it.  The dealer quotes the price and his is $6.2AMU installed with wireless for his tablet and a handheld GPS.

There is a price quote feature on that site w/o install.   Base price is  $1400 plus additional features.  My friends unit came to $3.3AMU with all the features.

Bill

Really? So I can fly in Class E below 10,000' without even complying with the "mandate", but you can't turn your ADS-B out equipment off when flying in that same airspace?

Interesting . . .

The corollary (rationale?) is if you have a transponder installed it has to be on in controlled airspace.

14 CFR §91.215 c:

c: Transponder-on operation. While in the airspace as specified in paragraph of this section or in all controlled airspace, each person operating an aircraft equipped with an operable ATC transponder maintained in accordance with §91.413 of this part shall operate the transponder, including Mode C equipment if installed, and shall reply on the appropriate code or as assigned by ATC.

Once you install ADSB and its functional, EVERY FLIGHT not just the required alphebet airspace (even a taxi as many airports require xponders on

on the ground) will be tracked and recorded forever. Going 1200 does not stop the ADSB transmission.

They've still got you to within your EPE of less than 30 feet.

One of the less known facts about ADSB is the ability to track all ground vehicles on major airports.

They want to see where EVERYBODY is while moving on major airports AND be able to tell who it is.