SB M20-217

Today I started on SB 217 installing a doubler on the aft spar to remedy cracks. In the instructions it says to remove the baggage floor. Has anyone here removed the baggage floor? Looks to be a bit of a pain.

Here's a picture of the crack.

David

post-7497-0-91638500-1435366027_thumb.jp

I have have heard of some shops doing it by cutting access holes and then installing round "inspection covers". You may consider using structural screws and nuts in place of the upper rivets. Not easy, but doable.

Today I started on SB 217 installing a doubler on the aft spar to remedy cracks. In the instructions it says to remove the baggage floor. Has anyone here removed the baggage floor? Looks to be a bit of a pain.

Here's a picture of the crack.

David

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It can be done without removing the entire floor. Remove enough rivets to peel/roll the floor forward to gain access.

Clarence

When I did mine I removed the floor from the front. The floor is riveted to an angle that is bolted on each side. The bolts are hard to get to. I removed I think about 10 rivets on each side the propped the floor up with pieces of wood.

post-12378-0-38953200-1435445202_thumb.j

post-12378-0-76269500-1435445255_thumb.j

post-12378-0-46958600-1435445415_thumb.j

• 3 years later...

My 1968 F is in annual right now and they found this issue on mine.  They are already in the process of doing the repairs. Being my first ever annual with the plane I took it to a Mooney Service Center.  I know it is going to cost me more but I also know it will be right when it comes back.

3 hours ago, MilitaryAV8R said:

My 1968 F is in annual right now and they found this issue on mine.  They are already in the process of doing the repairs. Being my first ever annual with the plane I took it to a Mooney Service Center.  I know it is going to cost me more but I also know it will be right when it comes back.

Not necessarily as an MSC designation doesn’t guarantee quality workmanship or it being done right. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Sabremech said:

Not necessarily as an MSC designation doesn’t guarantee quality workmanship or it being done right. 

This MSC might never have seen this Service Bulletin before. Frankly, they might never have seen a pre-201 before for that matter. If that’s the case, you’re better off having someone like me or Sabremech do the job  

Then again, it could be DMax or LASAR, in which case you’re in good hands. The devil is in the details. 

• Like 2

Pics of good cracks in this particular spar have been posted around here before...

Put this on the list of things to look for when your friend is buying a Mooney.  

Overspeed for flaps is real according to the cracks...

Every now and then there will be a discussion of... is it OK to lower the first amount of flaps like I did on a C152....

You can, but the cost is a bit high...   :) (pure unadulterated sarcasm....)

Post pics if you can...

Best regards,

-a-

23 hours ago, MilitaryAV8R said:

I took it to a Mooney Service Center.  I know it is going to cost me more but I also know it will be right when it comes back.

Not all MSC are created equal......a MSC totally screwed up my air box and carb heat system.....took thousands of dollars on my part to fix it....

they did not care nor were they apologetic...they did however smoke cigarettes during most of their time with my plane....so I had that going for me....