NGT-9000 ADSB Transponder - yea or nay

Hi all!  

Haven't been on much in a while (having twins will do that to you - and I don't mean the flying type...)

I am considering upgrading my '96 Ovation from its existing King transponder - which ATC complains about all the time, and trading it in for an L3 NGT-9000 ADSB in/out transponder.  This seems like a tidy unit, and it can tie into the 530 to display traffic along with my existing Skywatch installation, and solve for the 2020 mandate, and give me a weather display in the cockpit, pipe weather to my ipad via wifi, etc etc.

First off, anyone done it, or considering it?  Would love to hear your thoughts.  I'd like to take advantage of their current special.

Second, anyone who would talk me out of it - for other than the cost?

I searched the forums, and it doesn't seemed to have been discussed much - and it looks like a slick solution to me!

thanks,

Greg

This is an example of a 'stand alone' ADS-B Out solution with extra features.  Nice that in theory you could just "slide it in" as a replacement for your dodgy KT76A (OK, you need to install a new tray and a connection to a WAAS GPS antenna for the Lynx box, plus possibly connections to the audio panel for audible alerting)  

Depends on where your transponder is located now if the L3 Lynx's display will be of use to the pilot.   I'd prefer to have traffic visible right in front of me, say on an G500 or Aspen display, not in front of the copilot's position.

Also make sure this box will really interface with your existing avionics.

Nice and clean unit and I wish I could afford it . Actually what I really mean by that is that I am reluctant to add an expensive equipment to a late 70s J. Sort of like keeping the overall plane balanced.

I think it would look great on an R model. Go for it.

The only negative I could think off is the need to add an antenna . I am an adept of less clutter. I don't want my plane look like a porcupine .

Jerry,

Right now for the first 1000 installs, L3 is giving away all the hardware/cables/trays etc. and yes, I'm replacing the KT76, and getting some $ on trade in.  Even better is the + unit will use my existing skywatch antenna, and I get trade in on the skywatch equipment in the tail and save some weight.  And pick up a 3 year warrantee.

I will have traffic both ADS-B and TIS integrated on both the L3 and the screen of the 530 in the center stack.  Since I'm all classic king flight director/hsi in the 6 pack, thats the best ill do.  it also gives me audible traffic alerts, which is just fine.

I will move this unit to between the audio panel at the top, and the 530.

Greg

Nice and clean unit and I wish I could afford it . Actually what I really mean by that is that I am reluctant to add an expensive equipment to a late 70s J. Sort of like keeping the overall plane balanced.

I think it would look great on an R model. Go for it.

The only negative I could think off is the need to add an antenna . I am an adept of less clutter. I don't want my plane look like a porcupine .

Yeah, I dislike adding antennas.  It adds one small GPS antenna - which is tiny compared to the Skywatch antenna I already have.  It will use the existing transponder antennas otherwise...

g

Getting one as we speak. I also understand it will give an audio alert when traffic is conflicting. Will tie in display- GMX-200. Although it is replacing a GTX-327 in the right stack, am not concerned that the display is more in co-pilot position, they audio alert will cause my scan to look at it.

Expect to sell the Gramin GTX 327, current used market value is approx $1200-1300. The small GPS antenna is no big deal. Hitting traffic is a bigger belimish. Yes, there are less expensive options, but with the traffic and wx displays, no need for an ipad (but will send data to one if you want) and having 1090 out- no 18K restriction it is the best value for the plane M20K-231.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

So, I made the decision, put down my $$, and now I have a Lynx 9000+ waiting for me at the avionics shop.  It will let me remove the skywatch circuitry, but reuse my antenna, saving about 8lbs, and will reconcile fisb and tas traffic both on the Lynx screen and to the 530.  I will post pictures when done!

g

So, I made the decision, put down my $$, and now I have a Lynx 9000+ waiting for me at the avionics shop.  It will let me remove the skywatch circuitry, but reuse my antenna, saving about 8lbs, and will reconcile fisb and tas traffic both on the Lynx screen and to the 530.  I will post pictures when done!

g

do you mind if we ask what your installed cost will be for the L3 box? 

They have a special for the first 1000 units, they provide all wiring/harnesses, etc. free with the unit, so I think it worked out to around 8k installed, plus 1k for the plus option to replace my skywatch, so around 9k.  I'm also slightly re-arranging things...

g

They have a special for the first 1000 units, they provide all wiring/harnesses, etc. free with the unit, so I think it worked out to around 8k installed, plus 1k for the plus option to replace my skywatch, so around 9k. I'm also slightly re-arranging things...

g

I responded to the other thread. Do you know if it will talk with the Aspens?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They have a special for the first 1000 units, they provide all wiring/harnesses, etc. free with the unit, so I think it worked out to around 8k installed, plus 1k for the plus option to replace my skywatch, so around 9k.  I'm also slightly re-arranging things...

g

Thanks, I looked at them and spoke about it at SNF, they had the same offering. To get it to display on the Aspen was another 2K unlock code from Aspen...sheesh...

It does deserve a better place in the stack than off to the far right side of the panel.

I have the taller panel in my ovation, so it will go annunciators, audio panel, lynx, 530, king radio, autopilot from top to bottom.

Sucks that aspen makes it hard, it should be easy with the 530, although it will have a prettier display than the 530 which will be right below.

g

Thanks, I looked at them and spoke about it at SNF, they had the same offering. To get it to display on the Aspen was another 2K unlock code from Aspen...sheesh...

It does deserve a better place in the stack than off to the far right side of the panel.

They have a special for the first 1000 units, they provide all wiring/harnesses, etc. free with the unit, so I think it worked out to around 8k installed, plus 1k for the plus option to replace my skywatch, so around 9k. I'm also slightly re-arranging things...

g

Greg...did exactly the same thing here. Just paid for one of the 9000+ units and got the free install kit. Will have it talk to my 750 and G500. Unfortunately, only TAS/TCAS data can display on the Garmin equipment...for now. The Lynx will obviously display TAS/TCAS + ADS-B targets.

Wise move to get rid of your existing Skywatch for two reasons. First...the weight, as you mentioned. Second, after talking with an engineer and a tech support guy at L3 (VERY nice folks I might add), not only did they add a Skywatch computer to the Lynx, they added the computer that is used in the Skywatch 899 HP unit. Which means our TAS-equipped Lynx 9000+ units will now scan for traffic 35 miles out...not 11 or 12 miles, as your Sky497 did. They bumped the wattage up a slight bit more than the HP system even (around 60 watts, give or take), and the engineer even commented about how much bang for the buck is in this little box.

I can't wait to get this thing installed and get a PIREP or two out there. Please forward same as soon as you get yours installed...excited to hear about your specific experiences.

Regards, Steve

Awesome I was unaware of the power bump! I was mostly excited to save the weight and to now have that expensive gear in a solid state form with a fresh warranty. Will post pireps when installed in August

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg...did exactly the same thing here. Just paid for one of the 9000+ units and got the free install kit. Will have it talk to my 750 and G500. Unfortunately, only TAS/TCAS data can display on the Garmin equipment...for now. The Lynx will obviously display TAS/TCAS + ADS-B targets.

Wise move to get rid of your existing Skywatch for two reasons. First...the weight, as you mentioned. Second, after talking with an engineer and a tech support guy at L3 (VERY nice folks I might add), not only did they add a Skywatch computer to the Lynx, they added the computer that is used in the Skywatch 899 HP unit. Which means our TAS-equipped Lynx 9000+ units will now scan for traffic 35 miles out...not 11 or 12 miles, as your Sky497 did. They bumped the wattage up a slight bit more than the HP system even (around 60 watts, give or take), and the engineer even commented about how much bang for the buck is in this little box.

I can't wait to get this thing installed and get a PIREP or two out there. Please forward same as soon as you get yours installed...excited to hear about your specific experiences.

Regards, Steve

Steve -- I am curious on the FIS-B/TIS-B output to the GTN series. Can you confirm that it will display both in your 750? If it does, I know it will show on the Aspens, I'm in.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the "diversity" for active traffic mean? I'd lean towards the 9000+ but there is also one that is 9000D+ and the only difference is "diversity" and more $$.

Can't wait to hear the review of your new install...

Antenna on the bottom and top of the plane to prevent part of the fuselage or wing from masking. Depending on antenna location you may be blocking a clear view of traffic.