New Bravo Owner

I’m the new owner of a 1991 Mooney M20M Bravo after a long search for a fast efficient plane.  This is a great aircraft and the one that I purchased is low time with a relatively low time reman engine and prop with NDH.  Two issues have shown up though since the purchase that puzzle me.  The first is that the electric elevator trim switch on the yoke works well until I engage the autopilot.  After the autopilot is disengaged, I have to manually trim the aircraft.  I have noticed that this takes place every time I use the autopilot after the aircraft has been shut down.  It seems almost like a clutch has not or will not disengage until power off.

A question is “Would it be okay to pull the breaker on the autopilot (KFC150) after having been engaged and then disengaged in flight, then restoring power to the autopilot to see if the electric trim switch on the yoke begins to work again?” 

Second, the WX1000 stormscope worked perfectly on the first day that I flew the aircraft after signing the papers.  Starting up the second day, the unit did not power up and has not since.  Does anyone have any experience with the stormscope and this type of failure.  Seems like a power issue but I wouldn’t know where to start.

Both being avionics issues, can you recommend someone in the Alabama-Georgia area to look into these issues.  They certainly don’t keep the plane grounded on a great VFR day but otherwise I’d like to solve both before having to deal with weather.

• Like 1

The WX-1000 IIRC has internal fuses inside the processor box.  There is also  red, yellow and  green LED on the processor. Only the green should be steady lit when its operating. That should be on the rear shelf by the battery.  Check those. Then loosen the thunbwheel latch and re-rack the processor.  Check the circuit breaker, there must be one on the instrument panel.  Make sure the CRT screen is turned up full bright, turn the knob fully CW.  make sure the crk connector is plugged into the back of it.   Could be the processor. Could be the CRT. email me if this doesnt work.

heres the pinout of the main processor plug. The CO M plug is th same size but has less wires coming from it.

post-7887-0-52373100-1435001349_thumb.jp

The WX-1000 IIRC has two glass fuses under caps on the processor box.  There is also a red and green LED on the processor. The green should be steady lit when its operating. That should be on the rear shelf by the battery.  Check those. Then loosen the thunbwheel latch and re-rack the processor.  Check the circuit breaker, there must be one on the instrument panel.  Make sure the CRT screen is turned up full bright, turn the knob fully CW. If that doesnt get you, email me and ill get you the pinouts for the connector.  Could be the processor. Could be the CRT.

Great, Thank you for the quick reply.  I will check these this weekend.

On the trim- I believe the trim only works with the avionics master on I believe. Double check that. Also, had the same issue on a '90 M20M. I was was about to replace the servo when an awesome avionics tech asked to check the AP disconnect switch. It had an intermittent failure in the switch itself. I replaced the switch and it went away. Be sure to mark all the wires in the switch, it's a mess. This was all after I replaced the trim switches.

Best,

Matt

Congrats on the purchase - you've got yourself a great toy :D

Assuming you have the KFC150 autopilot, spend a couple of evenings with the manual. It is just about all in there, and there were a few things that were odd to me coming from as a Century/S-Tec user.Some things:

*MUST* self test before flight (if you try it in flight, be prepared for some uncomfortable pitch changes)

CWS has different actions depending on if the autopilot, FD or neither is engaged

Electric Trim control is another autopilot disengage

The Autopilot disengage button is a source of many problems (you won't find that in the manual!)

Entering Approach mode a little late can make the aircraft climb to a glideslope (or that one!)

KAS297 pre-select has a rather 'odd' way of remembering VS settings

Congrats, really an awesome bird !

I would recommend you call Ron at Gann Aviation in Lafayette, Ga. 9A5

Ron has repaired my altitude preselect a couple times. Repaired a com radio a few years back.

Recently he installed a GPSS to go with my new Avidyne 540.

I have an intermittent issue with the KFC150 when running the test, related to the trim. I mentioned it to Ron and he knew right off what it was and an option for basically a no cost fix if needed.

He was in Ohio for years and in the last 3-4 years would come down every couple months and do jobs for Gann. Now he has relocated to 9A5.... Lucky for me and all the locals !

Small shop, great pricing. The IA there (Rick) takes care of mine and a K model. Over the years he has become a great friend and without him I'm not sure I would own an airplane by myself.

Where are you in Alabama ?

Ps, I have the trouble shooting procedure for the storm scope around here somewhere if you can look at stuff yourself. Voltages etc. And make sure the brightness is turned up like mentioned above.

• 2 weeks later...