My 1st owner assisted annual coming next weekend.

Houman

Well, it is annual time for my Rocket, the last time it went into annual, I was not yet an owner, it was part of the import process and partnership process and it was done by my partner's prefered mecanic at a remote airport after I had done a pre-purchase inspection from a recommandation here. Back then, I did'nt know the plane that much, just that it did'nt have any engine or structural problems, no rusting.

Anyway, since the closest Canadian MSC is Clarence and he is a bit too far for me to arrange it, this year I have decided to go with a field mecanic annual. I have used this mecanic a few times in the past 2 months, great young guy, he does this work for a closeby busy flight school, and seems very knowledgable and fair priced and wanting to build his clientel and dos'nt seem to turn corners, he is also a private pilot, so I will be asking him to put his ass on the right seat after it is done to fly it.

I will be spending the 3 days scheduled for the full annual as his assistant and watchfull owner and we will try to get rid of some of the snaggs that I have, I would really like some advise on what to make sure is done beside what is on Mooney's 100h and annual list. I want a complete and comprehensive annual. I want to see every nocks and cranny of this bird I put my life and son's life in even if it costs me more hours of AP time.

The snaggs that we will try to fix for sure are : Change of main right tire since it is getting a bit low on threads, right fuel tank sender is not showing full when completely full, it shows 27Gal, instead of the full 36Gal, and the airspeed saftey switch adjustment that goes off till 100 kts instead of 65.

Thanks for any advise, any things I should be making sure my mecanic does.

I'm hoping for next year, I can arrange with Clarence and send it to a fully competent Mooney Expert.

Write down the list of all things you want done. Nothing like finding later that you forgot to tell him to look at something while he has the panels off.

There isn't a mechanic alive that wouldn't go for a flight in a rocket when he's done working on it. Specially if you spent three days of your time working with him.

Even my 65C had an easy answer to the question 'want to go for a flight when we are done?'

Best regards,

-a-

Its just like the checklists that you use to fly the plane.   Get the 100 hour/annual.  it's online and print out a copy. Create a three ring binder.   The 100 hour inspection is divided into sections use that to create a multi year plan to go through each and every system on the plane.  How old are the hoses? when was the last time the mags were overhauled? Buy a couple of spare plugs.  When was the last time the gear was checked?  Buy the tire prior to the three days, get the leakguard tubes.  Look up the axle/wheel bolt torque. You create a plane for each and every major thing you are going to Repair and replace. .Create a jacking plan for the plane. buy oil and filter prior. Buy all the supplies prior to complement the mechanic supplies.  My goal was to be able to respond to every "do you have?"  Also you can clean the engine compartment so that your mechanic and you do not come out dirty  working under the hood/bonnet.

Stainless fastener kit?  Extra screw clips? Good impact battery screw driver to remove speed handle to reinstall.

The fuel sender could take a day or three days to trouble shoot, so it should be done as a separate project

Who is going to buy all the o rings and gaskets. safety wire and pliers

When you are working, Check each other then recheck each others work.   Before buttoning up, spend time with flashlights looking for tools and loose things switch sides and check again.

In the first 6 months of plane ownership here is a list of things that I have and will have to tackle.   It is kept in excel with a date and tach hour when complete.  When I think/see things that need to be done, it goes on the bottom of the list. 

Graphite door locks and starter switch Door siles clean and lube - Cabin Luggage Replace O-Ring L& R fuel 338 and 010 Florou Sili Contact clean starter bendix and silicone spray Paint Tow Bar Replace Front tire  Install tie down jack points Replace main tires Polish Spinner Remove CoPilot Seat replace seat belt/rotate rollers Remove Pilot seat replace seat belt/rotate rollers Placard Tach Install Left and Right Shoulder harness per AmSafe Kit Reinstall updated interior panels Remove carpet  Replace brake resivoir line with 1/4 and fill. Replace #2 valve cover gasket Replace #1 and #4 valve cover gasket Replaced TE Oil Pressure Line 124J001-4CR0190 Replaced TE Fuel Pressure 124J001-3C0454 Replaced fuel to Eng Pump 124J001-6CR0184 Replaced Oil Cooler Line 124J002-8VR0500 Replaced Oil Cooler Line 124J002-8VR0530 Replaced Injector WCF 124J001-6CR0254 Replaced Injector to Fuel Dist 124J001-4CR0172 Replaced Fuel Pump Drain 1/2193000-4D0180 Repaired Manual Gear indicator Repaired CHT ring terminal sensor cable R&R 1 and 3 cylinders exhaust valve Ream 2 & 4 Exhaust valve Rebuild Left and Right mag install and time Replace Cabin Fresh air cat tubing Replace 1,2,3,4 oil drain rubber tubing Clean Gas Selector screen replace gasket Clean gas injector screen replace O rings R&R propeller Replace alternator belt Clean and replace spark plugs Replace Alternator Belt Overhaul and replace Propeller  Repair cowl oil door latch Replace Airfliter with Bracket 6310 Install Wheelen LED light     Remove carbon on comms relay fuel lines at wing root   Replace ram air switch Replace fuel spider gasket Replace L&R brake lines, bleed brakes Rebuild wheel calipers   Replace right fuel sump  Swap Radios for VOR Install Intercom Install rear intrcom jacks Replace P Leads on mags New engine mounts

I'm hoping for next year, I can arrange with Clarence and send it to a fully competent Mooney Expert.

Wise move. It isn't that far, heck I used to drive to Trois Rivers, Mosport, St. Joviet, from Indy on the weekends to race, Kitchner isn't that far in a Rocket!

Wise move. It isn't that far, heck I used to drive to Trois Rivers, Mosport, St. Joviet, from Indy on the weekends to race, Kitchner isn't that far in a Rocket!

I've got customers who fly from further airports to come and see me. Nice thing about Montreal is if things go bad there are return flights every hour.

Clarence

I've got customers who fly from further airports to come and see me. Nice thing about Montreal is if things go bad there are return flights every hour.

Clarence

How many days would it take usually to do an annual if there is no big issues expected ?

This past annual my A&P asked to fly before he started... He had a checklist of things he took notes on. examples:  idle rpm cold, Mag drop left and right.,

and takeoff rpm (took a reading right at gear-up time). He took some speed measurements in the pattern at various MP levels. and then recorded the airspeed the stall warning came on.

then when it was over we went up and compared all the readings.   First time I ever saw that done and I was impressed.

BILL

• Like 1

How many days would it take usually to do an annual if there is no big issues expected ?

I'd be happy to do your annual with you next year, Having never seen or worked on your plane, I would expect it to be in the shop for a week. I have no idea about AD, SB, SI, and other regulatory status. Research takes awhile to do, unless you've already done it, updating your technical logs for the past years maintenance takes more time.

Does your guy have manuals for the plane?

Clarence

I'd be happy to do your annual with you next year, Having never seen or worked on your plane, I would expect it to be in the shop for a week. I have no idea about AD, SB, SI, and other regulatory status. Research takes awhile to do, unless you've already done it, updating your technical logs for the past years maintenance takes more time.

Does your guy have manuals for the plane?

Clarence

HI Clarence,

We have the service manuals and maintenance manuals from Mooney that usuallly comes on the Mooney flash drive stick, and I have also complied a list of all the SB and SI for the plane from the Mooney site. I will be doing the AD today and hopefully done before we start friday. The plane went trough an import last year where all of this was verified and documented as required by Transport Canada, I was not there when it was done, but it was done by a reputable shop in Bromont and that is what they told me.

Hi Houman,

I have had a VERY positive experience on an owner-assisted annual, and all I can say is that - for me - the key was the IA with whom I was working.  He was thorough, knowledgeable, and experienced not only on the aircraft, regs and inspections, but also as a manager.  So he didn't stand over my shoulder while I did low-skill things like removing inspection plates.  At the same time, he freely shared the hows and whys of things only he could do, while gradually pushing me to my limits (like, I am NOT working on brakes, for example).  He coached me through higher-skilled things and explained how stuff worked.  

I learned SO much about what to look for from just working on the aircraft with a highly skilled professional.  I feel like it was MORE valuable and would be worth MORE than just dropping and picking up the aircraft, which I had done for many years before this.  I am both a LOT more knowledgeable and confident about my bird and its systems.  And I had attended the great owners seminar put on by Jerry Manthey and tried to be an involved owner, but some things you only learn when you do them.

And +1 on whomever made the comment about cleaning;  it's an ugly job, but belly-polishing and clearing all the crud and gunk that can gather even just from time is worth the final result, and makes day-to-day maintenance and troubleshooting that much easier.   

• Like 1

Hi Houman,

I have had a VERY positive experience on an owner-assisted annual, and all I can say is that - for me - the key was the IA with whom I was working.  He was thorough, knowledgeable, and experienced not only on the aircraft, regs and inspections, but also as a manager.  So he didn't stand over my shoulder while I did low-skill things like removing inspection plates.  At the same time, he freely shared the hows and whys of things only he could do, while gradually pushing me to my limits (like, I am NOT working on brakes, for example).  He coached me through higher-skilled things and explained how stuff worked.  

I learned SO much about what to look for from just working on the aircraft with a highly skilled professional.  I feel like it was MORE valuable and would be worth MORE than just dropping and picking up the aircraft, which I had done for many years before this.  I am both a LOT more knowledgeable and confident about my bird and its systems.  And I had attended the great owners seminar put on by Jerry Manthey and tried to be an involved owner, but some things you only learn when you do them.

And +1 on whomever made the comment about cleaning;  it's an ugly job, but belly-polishing and clearing all the crud and gunk that can gather even just from time is worth the final result, and makes day-to-day maintenance and troubleshooting that much easier.

Exacly why I'm doing this, the AP agreed to show me and teach me as much as I wanted to learn. In my day job that pays for my hobby, I'm a manager, a coach, team lead and have been for almost 2 decades a trainer. So I really appreciate learning about the machine I put my life in and appreciate the AP wanting to show me how things work and someone that is willing to teach me.

I don't think I will be doing much on own after this annual beside maybe the oil change, but most valuable is having more knowledge and being able to understand and listen better to what the plane is telling me.

Another advantage, Houman, even if you do nothing yourself but oil changes between annuals, is that you KNOW the condition of your plane, how everything fits together and works. You can monitor condition and wear, ask questions and take action when something's needs to be fixed rather than waiting for (possibly inconvenient) failure. We spotted a really weak throttle cable-to-carb connection while replacing my stuck carb heat cable at annual this year, would hate to have the throttle cable fall off at altitude.

• Like 1

I had the mixture cable fall off at altitude. It ran really sluggish and wouldnt make full power in the pattern on landing.  funny thing I installed tha thing when I put the new engine on, and even cotter pinned it. Somehow it ate through the cotter pin and the nut vibrated off. Vibration and chafe is a never ending battle.

I had the mixture cable fall off at altitude. It ran really sluggish and wouldnt make full power in the pattern on landing.  funny thing I installed tha thing when I put the new engine on, and even cotter pinned it. Somehow it ate through the cotter pin and the nut vibrated off. Vibration and chafe is a never ending battle.

My inner gear door just did that. Ate right thru the cotter pin. Must have not been properly adjusted and vibrated quite a bit in the airflow.

Lets hope nothing lengthy gets found during your annual. This would jeoperdize your presence in Oshkosh and the Caravan. Since I have owned my airplane all by myself, I always take it in on Feb 1st each year, regardless of the logbook dates... this way I always have it back when the sun comes back. Previous owners would take it in later year after year eventually reaching the spring period. Not for me.

I would be very upset if something would come up (like what happened to Ned) this time of the year.

Yves

Lets hope nothing lengthy gets found during your annual. This would jeoperdize your presence in Oshkosh and the Caravan. Since I have owned my airplane all by myself, I always take it in on Feb 1st each year, regardless of the logbook dates... this way I always have it back when the sun comes back. Previous owners would take it in later year after year eventually reaching the spring period. Not for me.

I would be very upset if something would come up (like what happened to Ned) this time of the year.

Yves

Yeah I agree, crossing fingers, but at last oil change, all looked great both engine and the rest, but you never know !

I actually am ok for my annual being end of june, this year I got quite a bit of flying done, more than 30h since my last oil change in may, so it's good to know there is kind of a half-way trough summer check to see if all is good.

I wouldn't bother with the fuel gauge. They are almost never accurate and therefore should never be counted on as accurate.  A stick to dip the tanks prior to take off, and then a proper engine monitor with fuel flow is a much better way to accurately know fuel condition in flight. The factory fuel gauges would be the last thing I spent money on for my Mooney.

Just my $0.02

I wouldn't bother with the fuel gauge. They are almost never accurate and therefore should never be counted on as accurate. A stick to dip the tanks prior to take off, and then a proper engine monitor with fuel flow is a much better way to accurately know fuel condition in flight. The factory fuel gauges would be the last thing I spent money on for my Mooney.

Just my $0.02

I agree, but unfortunetly my Hoskins 101 Fuel Flow is not connected to my EDM 700, so the EDM 700 is not providing that information to the GTN 650.

So what I do is that I calculate 3h max fuel so that I have for sure enough left, usually 1h of reserve. I always fly the climb and descent on the same tank, and cruise on the other. I take note how much time I spent on each tank and what was the predominate fuel flow (done mentaly ). I count on the fuel gauges as just a confirmation of my calculations and I am super super conservative on it.

I'm seriously thinking of wing gauges, and also planning to have Fuel Flow option added to my EDM and my hopsking fuel flow connect to the EDM and that to the GTN so that I can have a much more precious idea how much fuel was used.

This all cost money and my partner is not willing to put more money for gagets yet since he is not flying it and wanting to sell his half...

Anyway !!!

Houman--

I learned to never trust fuel gages as a student pilot. Now I track fuel burn by the clock, with two 4-1/2 hour XC trips to confirm it. Seems one was 4.4, the other was 4.6 hours. Then 9 x 4.5 = 40 using my fingers, so should have anout 12 gallons left (fingers needn't be terribly accurate, nor airplane fuel gages). Filled up after 4.4 into strong winds at 50° ROP with multiple climbs, about 41 gals or 11 left (> 1 hour); filled up after 4.6 with "normal" winds flying only 25° ROP at 10,000 msl with only 39 gal, or 13 remaining. I'm comfortable with my power settings and fuel burn.

I accidentally ran one tank dry recently, distractedly sightseeing near my destination. It handled the first hour with initial climb from 264 to 9500 msl, then hour #3 that stretched to 1:25, or 2:25 including initial climb. The engine surged, I checked to make sure I hadn't hit anything, it surged again and I checked the selector and switched it, ran fine the last ten minutes of descent and around the pattern to land. Oops!! But educational about both fuel burn and distractions.

The more you learn your plane, it's habits and idiosyncrasies,mthe better and smoother and more confidently you can fly it. I think I'm now > 600 hours in my C; it surprises me infrequently, but I can't say the same thing about weather. Always learning something.

Well, just finished the annual, 2 full days, about 12 hours each, I did most of opening and closing the plates and underwing access points, lubrification points, and bearing greasing all under my mecanic supervision.

It went without a hitch, mecanic impressed at the condition of my aircraft and my avionics guy was able to adjust my airspeed saftey switch, now th alarm goes on until 80 kts, not 105 kts anymore.

Lifting the aircraft was a nervous point for me, but it went perfectly and all was good !!!

post-12248-0-65475800-1435462273_thumb.j

post-12248-0-41738100-1435462295_thumb.j

post-12248-0-98576600-1435462314_thumb.j

post-12248-0-64924200-1435462331_thumb.j

post-12248-0-68184300-1435462348_thumb.j

post-12248-0-59141800-1435462452_thumb.j

post-12248-0-68814200-1435462474_thumb.j

That's great news. Pay close attention on your next flights look and listen for things that seem unusual.

We did a flight in the pattern with the mecanic, all looked good, including my infoumous gear warning system..

Will do a more longer flight next week after my Elt is back from it's certification.