I'm sorry, but I did not order TOAST!

Bob

The FBO/Jet Center is handling it on a very professional level and their insurance is working promptly to cover the costs related to their negligence.  I hope things stay smooth till my plane is returned to service.  The A&P that caused the issue, has stated that he did not start the engine after the repair.  So no checking for leaks, vacuum, electrical short  or proper operation of the overhauled starter adapter or new starter.

Yes it needs an engine.

I'd be sure they paid for something to take care of the prop if the filter was full of metal it will be too. Now is when you say " I LOVE lawyers!"

Not sure about the toast, but I would stay away from black cats, tall ladders, cracks in sidewalks and especially do not purchase any lottery tickets.

I have had my runs of bad luck, but yours is above my pay grade.

Anyway no fireball involved and you are still walking and talking.

Best,

Dave

Yes, the prop is coming off as well, being decontaminated, inspected and revealed to verify it is clean and at factory new specs still since it was a 12hr since new prop.

Dark cloud, bad luck, etc? You only know about the aircraft related bad luck, I have a personal life as well and yep this has been my most intense bad luck run for sure! Why did I get a new prop? During annual I sent my McCauley 3 blade with 850 TT in for overhaul and found corrosion on the hub. For a week now, no bad luck issues, I think not departing without oil flipped it to a good luck streak!

• Like 3

Reading stories like this -- as tragic as they are -- are good learning lessons for relatively new aircraft owners like me.  It is a poignant reminder to watch the engine gauges closely after any repair.  I have a high degree of confidence in my mechanic -- but that does not mean he can't make a mistake. 

• Like 1

Yes, the prop is coming off as well, being decontaminated, inspected and revealed to verify it is clean and at factory new specs still since it was a 12hr since new prop.

Dark cloud, bad luck, etc? You only know about the aircraft related bad luck, I have a personal life as well and yep this has been my most intense bad luck run for sure! Why did I get a new prop? During annual I sent my McCauley 3 blade with 850 TT in for overhaul and found corrosion on the hub. For a week now, no bad luck issues, I think not departing without oil flipped it to a good luck streak!

Bob,

Make sure that the prop governor, turbocharger, waste gate, oil lines etc. are decontaminated as well.

Clarence

I just had my oil changed last week. First flight, I'm with a friend, (CFI, ATP, etc.) Before I even got to the run up I notice no FF indication on the GEM. Everything else was as it should be. I immediately suspected that the wire from the FF sender had not been reconnected after draining the oil. It is right in the way of the oil drain. We went ahead and flew as everything else was in the green.  On landing, pulled the left cowl and sure enough. 

Of course this was a very minor thing, but be careful out there.

I do remember one of our 747's getting a C check in Hong Kong. They actually took a spare main tire out of the cargo hold to weight it!

I'm not sure if our American counterparts do that.

Fly away gear is on the load sheet of every freighter I have worked and on occasion it comes off to squeeze on a bit more cargo and they pick up a new set down line.

• Like 2

The omissions of the mechanic in this case would have been a sufficient predicate for punitive damages in a suit against he and his employer. The carrier is getting off light by just having to repair the plane. They should put you in a comparable rental while you wait till it is fixed.

Punitive damages are generally (if not always) unavailable in a negligence or breach of contract case.  Has to be intentional conduct.

That is an incorrect statement of the law. In most jurisdictions in addition to intentional conduct a concious indifference to the consequences will get you to the jury on punitive damages. The mechanics conduct, or more accurately omissions to act, would no doubt meet the threshold here in Ga.

• Like 1

Try to avoid 'attacking' type of statements...

There is room for all opinions.

Nobody is getting proper legal advice from an aviation enthusiast website.

There won't be additional points scored for aggressive behavior.

I appreciate both views being expressed. I get a feeling for the law and its flavors in different places...

Telling everybody that somebody's statement is incorrect is unhelpful on many levels.

Giving your thoughts on what is correct is helpful for everyone.

Some ways may take more effort on a personal level. You will be appreciated for the extra effort.

My thoughts,

• Like 1

Try to avoid 'attacking' type of statements...

There is room for all opinions.

Nobody is getting proper legal advice from an aviation enthusiast website.

There won't be additional points scored for aggressive behavior.

I appreciate both views being expressed. I get a feeling for the law and its flavors in different places...

Telling everybody that somebody's statement is incorrect is unhelpful on many levels.

Giving your thoughts on what is correct is helpful for everyone.

Some ways may take more effort on a personal level. You will be appreciated for the extra effort.

My thoughts,

-a-

Anthony, no negative connotations were intended. I merely meant to express it in the same way as if I were discussing it with another lawyer.

Regards, Frank

• Like 1

I merely meant to express it in the same way as if I were discussing it with another lawyer.

Most lawyers whose acquaintance I have had the misfortune of making approach every conversation as an argument, and they are always out to win every argument.

The rest of the world (the 21 cities in eight states and two foreign countries where I have lived, and the 47 states and 17 foreign countries that I have visited) do not do so.

Your first sentence in Post #42 came across as belligerently argumentative. Just what I've come to expect from a lawyer. Please calm down here, you're like a shark out of water. And some of us carry harpoons . . .

Plus you made a junior shyster mistake--you tried to apply law as you know it in Georgia outside of the state lines. Even I know there is tremendous variability in law from one state to another . . . But see, even here, I drew it to your attention without poking my finger in your chest and calling you out. Calmly, even.

• Like 1

Most lawyers whose acquaintance I have had the misfortune of making approach every conversation as an argument, and they are always out to win every argument.

The rest of the world (the 21 cities in eight states and two foreign countries where I have lived, and the 47 states and 17 foreign countries that I have visited) do not do so.

Your first sentence in Post #42 came across as belligerently argumentative. Just what I've come to expect from a lawyer. Please calm down here, you're like a shark out of water. And some of us carry harpoons . . .

Plus you made a junior shyster mistake--you tried to apply law as you know it in Georgia outside of the state lines. Even I know there is tremendous variability in law from one state to another . . . But see, even here, I drew it to your attention without poking my finger in your chest and calling you out. Calmly, even.

We lawyers here in the states have higher testosterone levels than those foreign lawyers. Makes us more argumentative and want to fly Mooneys!

I think not. But the real question, for those who have been around here for while, is did you let the (dead) cat out of the trunk? Or, more recently, the wing? :)

Jim

Schroedinger's while point is that you won't know if the cat is alive or dead until AFTER you let it out of the bag / trunk / closet / wing. Merely observing the system can create changes; if you don't believe that, think about your high school classes when the teacher was there vs. out in the hallway . . . Except he was busy proving that this happens in physical systems, too, especially with subatomic particles.